Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. So i have been reloading on and off for a while now (about 10 years) and I was thinking (yes it hurt a bit.) I just ordered a crono from midway so i can use it to test this idea. I have no problem getting large rifle primers here but large pistol are non existant still. So i was thinking that because i always use large pistol magnum primers in my 45 loads why couldnt i use a large rifle primmer instead? They are the same size. The only difrence is the amount of bang juice in em. I am thinking if i drop my powder load a bit to compensate and add a factory crimp to hold the bullet a little tighter it should work right? I am thinking once my crono comes in i am going to give it a shot starting with a light load of X.X grains universal clays and a 230gr cast round nose. I know that is very light and likely will not be enough to cycle the slide but i want to be carefull. And worst case i have a plethra of 1911's and enough parts laying around to build a couple that i may build one with a old beater slide and barrel and give it a go from a mechanical rest with a remote trigger acuater. so what do you more experianced folks think. Worth a shot or should i go a bit easier on the drinking and smoking? :D

Edited to remove load data.

nicadflyer

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Congratulations on getting a chronograph.

The amount of mix in large rifle & large pistol is the same. The % of each chem may be different.

There is a difference in the min/max height of the primer between the 2. That may cause problems.

You might want to get 'Ammunition Making' by G. Frost.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Large rifle primers are also made of thicker metal. You may need to a more powerful firing pin.

If the rifle primer mix is different, what most likely happen is the pressure peak would be sooner. A slower power maybe more important than using less powder. Rule of the thump is that the pressure curve/time is what makes good ammo.

FWIW, Albert & Oelberg wrote that primer chems & amount of chems can be worked out to match a given load of powder.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the ipsc guys do this all the time with smaller calibers (super 38,9mm,ect...) the only things I'd look out for are as stated above is you might run into ftf's if you have a weak firing pin. also look up primer brisance chart which is basically the burn temp/time a primer has. the higher the brisance the hotter the primer. remington 9 1/2's are the lowest on this scale followed by cci 200's. generally federal primers are the hottest(win and fed flip flop) and softest of the bunch so If you think you'll have strike problems start with them, if not i'd start with the rem 9 1/2's. and as you stated reduce the load and work it back up.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Brisance charts that don't show the temp of the gas, the amount of gas & the amount of solids generated is of no value. Unless one is use only a primer for shooting wax or plastic bullets.

The brisance charts I've seen are base only of the explosive force of the primer. That may or may not have any bearing on how it functions in igniting the powder for a given load.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
swapping rifle primers into pistol rounds is doable but requires careful load development. rifle primers are designed to reliably light up to and over 75 grains of powder, so they will light pistol powder in a much shorter period of time. the load has to be changed accordingly so the pressure curve isnt screwed up and you get an overpressure.

SW

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK so the wifey and kid were gone shoping today and it was raining cats and dogs so this all eaqualed some quality reload time for bob! Anyways i tried it to day with cci primers. mission success. I loaded 25 rnds and fired them in five shot strings from each of my 45's. Only problem i encountered was a light strike of a pin in a old 1911.....easy fix swaped the pin to a titanium and a stronger wolf spring and wamo it worked great. My XD had no problems but that thing is like a garbage disposal it eats anything you throw at her. I was going to wait for the crono to come in but like i said i have free time.. I will load up 100 more to compare em. And i didnt use a factory crimp on em btw. I will post my findings in a little while. Thanks for all the good info boys.!! :D

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
I will post my findings in a little while.
I'm looking forward to a report. Thanks for sharing what you've learned so far.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK so all i have to say is MISSION SUCCESS!!

so turns out the only things you need to worry about is
1, firing spring. make sure it has a good hard hit for the pin.
2, seat the primer is a bit harder if you hand prime not that big of a deal but still wanted to post it. I couldnt notice a diffrence with the press priming on the turret or the rock chucker.
3, volicity diffrence on 100 rounds of both standard large pistol primmers....cci and standard large rifle primmers....cci..was average less then 2fps!!

My conclusion is simple. I can keep rocking the big boys with out having to conserve primers as much! as for the diifrence in velocity a diffrence of 2fps when you are talking about reloading pistol rounds with out a trickler to me is pretty dang good.

BTW if any one wants a great chrono for the money look at the f-1 shootin crony from midwayusa. It folds up real nice and is darn well made. I have put all sorts of diffrent rounds through it and it hasnt skipped a beat. I even shot my sons red ryder though her and she read it! tomorow is going to be the test with my bow. Gosh i love getting new toys!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Did he just say titanium firing pin? :mad: :mad: :'( :cantlook: :cantlook:

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Thanks for reporting back the results of your tests. I find it very worth while information. The fps is much closer than I thought it would be. I do have one question, just so that I don't have it make an assumption.

Was the fps difference of an increase for the large rifle?

FWIW, the f-1 shootin crony is what I bought 10 years ago when I got serious about reloading. I've found no absolute need to get anything different.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
How much is this crony? I need one bad.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Bob, you've been a member of the forum for how long? And you DON'T know about the titanium firing pin debacle? :cantlook:

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL...yeah i been round a while problem was for the last year and half i was real hit or miss with the forum. takes a lot to get around for a big move like we made, that and the real lack of leo's michigan ment a lot of work. however with the new job here and done with the move I now have free time...YAY...anyways i will be here for good now (I hope) so no i am off to search the great pin debate..lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts