Featured Poor Man's 12ga Roll Crimper

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by Ben Cannon, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Ben Cannon

Ben Cannon Active Member

Was setting up to repurpose target loads to buckshot and round balls. Bought the necessary supplies but was having a hard time swallowing the 30 bucks for drill run crimper. Was looking around for something to make up when I came on a bag of hardwood toy car wheels I bought at Lowe's a few years back for a kids project. The inner detail ring fit the hull perfectly. Simply added a 1/4" screw as a mandrel. Made a block to hold the hull, chucked it in the drill press and spun away. The results were good. I spun all the spent hulls I had with the same results. The wheel shows little to no wear.

Don't know how long it will last but you get 4 wheels for less than 3 bucks. Just thought I would pass this along.

Attached Files:

WECSOG, thundercroozer and moona11 like this.
  2. Cynical

Cynical Well-Known Member

Shoot a video of it in action

histed likes this.

3. Ben Cannon

Ben Cannon Active Member

Maybe after the hurricane. Surprised we still have power. That won't last long!,

4. WECSOG

WECSOG Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool. Looking forward to the video.

5. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Great idea!
    I'm looking for ideas on HowTo make Holy Black loads for a 10 GA.

6. WECSOG

WECSOG Well-Known Member

Make a volumetric measure that holds your desired shot charge (1-1/2 oz, 2 oz, whatever). I would make it out of a cut-down, empty 12 gauge hull. Now use that amount of Fg or FFg black powder. Add enough felt over-powder wads to make your column length come out right, and add your preferred crimp.

Or, find the "dram equivalent" for your preferred load, and use that amount. 1 dram = 27.34 grains. Example: 1-5/8 oz shot, 4-1/4 dram would take about 116 grains of black powder.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  7. Ben Cannon

Ben Cannon Active Member

Well finally have power!
    Irma was pretty bad . Was listed as a tropical storm but was WAY worse than Mathew.
    Our island had a lot of flooding and many trees down. Spent most of the week clearing our roads and neighbors houses of fallen trees. Finally able to take a break today.
    The mail started running mid week and brought me a Lee round ball mold, 5 lbs of 00 buckshot, and and antique roll crimper used for paper shells. Had a chance to Mess around a bit redoing target loads.

Made various buckshot loads and made some .690 round ball loads. All of these loads are around one ounce. The shells these are made from are 1 1/8 oz. The idea is to make lighter loads for the 12ga slam fire. The pics are of a load of 6 00 balls filled in with #8, and a round ball load. These were crimped on the old crimper as the power was off and couldn't use the wheel crimper on my drill press.. Old one works pretty well if you cut the shell even. Rolls the plastic just fine. Cost $20 off ebay. Piece on wood mounts in my vice.

The balls are made from the #8 taken from the target loads.

Attached Files:

moona11 and WECSOG like this.