Poor man's home defense

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Silverayne, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Silverayne

Silverayne Member

Hello all is my first post and I'm really sorry to ask here but I need advise. A week ago someone broke into my 3yr old bedroom while we were sleeping. I managed to scare him if with a ball bat but he has retuned two times now and left messages in my porch and back door saying he is going to hurt us. I've called the state police and reported it but we live in the country and best effort it would take 15 mins for the police to get to us. I've called all my local gun stores and the only two I can afford is either a cobra fs380 or a Jimenez ja380 both of those are 139.00. I had planned on saving some but I'm scared to death he will hurt my kid. Hi points are out of my price being over 160 just got the gun. I'm broke and am skipping paying my power bill to get something so saving or spending more is out I can barely get this a friend is giving me 3 boxes of shells for a 380. Thanks for any help.

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

What, specifically, are you looking for, advice wise.

3. GKC

GKC Lifetime Supporter

If I was in need of a home defense gun, I wouldn't go with a Cobra or a Jimenez. Is there no one who can loan you the additional $50 or so to get a Hi-Point? Or sell or pawn something? Ordinarily I would say save up until you could pay for it outright, but if you feel you are in danger, you might not be able to wait.

4. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

That's a tough one, you are in dire need. As the old saying goes, something is better than nothing. If I had to pick between those two I would go Jimenez.

Now you could go to some area pawn shops and see if you could get a used HP. Could prolly get a CF380 for about $100.

Good luck and I hope everything works out.

5. Visper

6. GKC

GKC Lifetime Supporter

Another option to consider...a shotgun. You might find a used one at a local gun shop, or a pawn shop, for $100 or so.

7. Visper

Thought about suggesting that but the OP is getting free 380 ammo, free is good.

8. Silverayne

Silverayne Member

I have called all the area shops that sells guns, no used hi points, that was my first thought. Most of the shops guns start around 250 or so, couple had some used for 200ish but thats just out of my price range. I understand that going with something else is advisable but in this situation i just cant and as for ordering one that would take several days to get in and I am on pins and needles waiting until i get paid to get something, by that time i could almost wait for another payday and get a hi point. Guns in my area are scarce right now in the used category and ordering is just not something i can do. I am looking to see which of those two guns would be the most reliable, ive seen several youtube videos on them and most of those users seems to like them pretty good after a little bit of work, im no gun smith but I am a tinkerer and like working on stuff so i dont mind doing a little bit of work to make it run better. I intend to get something better down the road, this isnt a hand me down weapon its a save my @$$ or my kids weapon, basically its a do what i can do until something better comes along. Im looking for info from people who have/do own one of these or shot them enough to tell me the honest truth about it, I dont expect they are grenades like the reviews say or else neither would be in business still and cobra has been for around 10 or so years. Its all i can do for now and i have to do it now, i cant count on the police to help and I have no family to borrow from.

9. Visper

Well then I would have to go with my original suggestion. The Jimenez. If it was me and I had a choice between only a Cobra and a Jimenez, that's what it would be.

Others may be along to offer their suggestions.

Like I said though, something is better than nothing.

10. GKC

GKC Lifetime Supporter

Well, sometimes you have to do what you CAN do, instead of what you want to do. Been there, done that! This is one of those "Hope not to need it" deals...not a range gun or extensive use gun. If you are getting three boxes of shells, at least you can fire it some to make sure it works. I would also talk to the local law enforcement folks and make sure that they know what you are dealing with.

Best of luck to you...this is a bad situation to have to be in.

11. Silverayne

Silverayne Member

I have spoken with both the state and sheriffs in our area, we are so under staffed on LEO in this area its not funny, average response time at night in my area is bare min. 45 minutes. We have 3 state police for our county and 2 sheriff deputies that work after 12 in our area so they are stretched really thin.

I really hope I never need it and its only gonna be a carry weapon until I can get something better (wont carry one in the pipe). It has really messed with my family, my wife is scared to death to even look out side, i work a nightshift job at a gas station so im gone all night 5 days a week, ive put in a schedule change but who knows if ill get it or when. The friend thats giving me the ammo had a 380 as his ccw weapon but sold it and upgraded to a .40 XD i think, so he had the boxes of shells sitting around and no gun to use them in.

I like the Jimenez for its size and easy to conceal compared to the cobra.
    He has 2 boxes of PPU brand fmj from walmart i think, round ball and a box of critical defense protection loads, I know the fmj will work ok or should anyway but any suggestions on how the defense loads would run and anything i can do to improve it, also from such a small gun will it expand or should i just use the fmj rounds and not worry about the jhp ones?

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Got a friend or neighbor that can loan you a gun?

What state are you in?

You are in the country, but don't know who the guy is? See his car or truck?

And how on earth did the guy get into your house?:confused:

13. Visper

Every firearm is different. The ammo one likes may not work in another. From what I have heard/read the Jimenez and Cobra are "Fairly reliable" with FMJ rounds and kinda hit/miss with JHP. You'll have to try it out.

Now FMJ are not your primary choice for a SD round, you'll have to be worried about what is beyond your target a bit more than with a JHP. But if the Jimenez or the Cobra are all you can get and the one you do get does not like JHP's you really don't have much of a choice.

Once again maybe someone here with a Jimenez can give you better advice on at least a few brands to try with it.

My C9 doesn't like most JHP, the only one it feeds reliably is the Remington HTP, don't ask me why... but it will eat anything fmj (steel or brass) except for a WWB every now and then.

14. Visper

All very good questions Ajole. I was so disturbed by the story I kinda went right into protect my house/family mode!!

15. GKC

GKC Lifetime Supporter

I would use the FMJ for two reasons: one, it will (probably) feed more reliably; and two, it being winter the bad guy may be wearing extra layers of clothing/coat, and the FMJ round will penetrate more than will a JHP. The .380 round is at the low end of acceptable calibers for self/home defense. It's sure better than nothing, though!

16. Visper

Now I have a question, if your worried about your family, why would you carry the firearm to work? Wouldn't it be better served in your wife's possesion while your at work?

17. I'd say get the Jimenez asap. Use the the fmj until you can test other ammo.

That way you have something to use NOW.

18. Visper

^^^^^ exactly my point, it is better than nothing and you know they feed the most reliably.

Almost forgot... :welcome: wish it was under better circumstances though...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  19. Silverayne

Silverayne Member

I am in KY and no the only friend I have with a firearm will not loan it out since its registered to him and he is afraid he will get into legal trouble.

My kids bedroom window can be opened with a flat bladed knife or thin metal, its an old window that has the latch between two separate pieces of glass that are side by side, he used something to slide the latch back and opened the window, it was originally intended to be a fire escape area for the back of the house. I heard the window open as it slid on the track and ran into her room with a bat, he had a ski mask over his face so i couldnt see him. We have only lived here about 3 months now, bought it on a land contract and its usually a nice area but theres been a lot of break in since december in the whole county. We live in the Pill hood of KY, up a hollow but theres no houses directly beside of mine. Also we only have one outside porch light currently, no security or flood lights so when he ran away I couldnt tell where he went to after he got past the light on my porch.

I now have a motion light on that porch and have called the power company to install a security light on the electric pole in my yard, made arrangements to pay my bill on my next payday.

I dont really know the people in the area much, but I am convinced that he wasnt alone, the 2nd time he/they returned it was on an atv, they ripped my phone line out of the interface box on the pole but we have vontage so it uses internet instead of the copper wires, carved DIE into my front porch while we was gone to church on sunday and from what I am told there is a convicted sex offender in the area and the room broken into was my daughters.

I want to get security cams installed but cant afford them, so right now my wife sits up at night while im at work with a ball bat and a baby monitor in her room listening for anything to happen. I work all night, then let her sleep while i stay up with the kids till around 2pm then i sleep and she stays up, it sucks, every sound scares us to death, my daughter wont play in her room and we have to get her to sleep in the living room and pack her to bed, Shes autistic so she doesnt understand but just knows a "bad man" got in her room.

As far as a round striking something the fmj could only strike my garage or car, theres no house around me. I plan on getting a cheap shotgun when money allows it, im kinda in the rock/hard place spot. I need to work overtime but cant leave the family to do it, waiting on my w2's so i can get my tax money back and Im going to get cams, security system and hopefully a shotgun and a good handgun or two. I checked out the c9 at a local store and like a lot, may end up with 2 of those and a pump 12ga.

I can say i wish this upon no one, i get sick everytime i think about it, they could have had everything in my house, not much one lcd tv and one crt tv and an old dell computer. I dont have anything to sell or pawn right now, we put all our money into the down payment for the house and ive been paycheck to paycheck since nov. i mean we talking ramen for lunch poor here, taxes will get me out of it but thats not gonna be until prob. end of feb before i get my return.

20. Silverayne

Silverayne Member

Forgot to mention this but I have since put a storm window inside the bedroom and put a rod iron bar in between the two glass pieces so now you can not open it at all, you would have to break both pieces of glass outside and the storm window to get in.