Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since pistol caliber rounds don't really need that full 16" BBL to pick up speed (10" rifled section is probably plenty long enough), how about a ported barrel option for the TS carbines?

The first 4" from the muzzle (ahead of the stock, exposed) can be counter-bored and have holes drilled in the sides and top, it will serve as a long muzzle-break/flash-intensifier.

Will be flashy!

will be loud!

will be cool!

Cool pistols like Glock24 have ported versions, why not the HP carbines?

:D

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
who said anything about benefit? :devilsidesmile:
So your willing to spend a couple hundred (about the cost of the carbine) for a port job cause you like the way little holes look on the end of a barrel?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will only cost HP like $20 to make that feature, and they can sell it as a $50 upgrade feature....

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
A custom port job will run between $200 and $400, how would Hipoint be able to do it for $20 (volume is not the right answer)?

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Yeah, it's not like they can just pay someone with a power drill to drill holes in the barrel lol. It would look cool, but I'll take low price over fancy looks any day...that's why I have a 995 instead of a Beretta CX4.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
porting at the factory level adds at least 100-150$ to the cost of a weapon because it creates a bottelneck in production if you do it for an entire weapon line. plus it HAS to be setup and done by hand, setup cant be done by machines while most other processes in building a firearm can. for example browning BT-99 trap guns. simply adding an optional porting job adds over 1000$ to the price tag.

SW

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the porting is done when the barrels are made. The barrel manufacturer simply over size that 4" when doing the initial bore drilling (before adding rifling), that process adds one extra drilling step that is all. side holes can be drilled in a helix pattent so there is no index requirements, 3 rolls, 6 holes per roll is plenty. again done by the barrel manufacturer.

Now a threaded muzzle break with precision machining retails for about $60, the cost to make it is probably only $30 (with all that precision threading and such). The proposed HP porting is done directly on a barrel and the only real possible trouble is drilling that 18 holes, but that should only be a 5 minutes operation on a vertical mill, just clamp the barrel into a index head.

Plus, I suspect the HP barrel itself is a <$30 part, adding $20 extra should get you a lot of machining.

All the real "mod work" will be done by the barrel plant, HP just pick up the barrel and assemble it as usual. No process alteration for HP.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if it isnt abenifit it isnt worth doing.

SW
the only thing is, unlike a "compensator", a ported barrel will provide some recoil reduction (gas is still under quite some pressure when reaching the ported area).

Now the extra-cost/benefit ratio thingey: many many people are adding a $35 "barrel shroud" to their 995 (presumely ATI stock). What benefit does that "shroud" provide? to cool the barrel?(needs cooling near the muzzle?) to provide a relativly cool area for you to grip? (I don't have such long arms so it is not easy for me to understand that one)? The only reason I can think of is for the look, and people are paying $35 for it (maybe more, and add shipping on top of that), and that shround even adds weight. Then why not a $50~$75 ported barrel upgrade, which doesn't add weight, looks cool, and actually reduce the recoil?

A ported barrel is a lot more beneficial than the aluminum shroud :cry2: .

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
it may be but to an individual, looks can mean alot. i knwo guys that hang 1000$ worth of tacticool accessories on a 500$ AK because it looks good. is it benificial? hell no.

and porting in an automatic pistol HAS to be done when the barrel and slide are mated in manufacture to make sure the slots cut in the slide match the barrel. if its so easy to cheaply do, why does mag-na-port (industry recognized as masters of this modification) charge 200+ dollars plus refinsihing charges and freight?

SW

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
"Since pistol caliber rounds don't really need that full 16" BBL to pick up speed (10" rifled section is probably plenty long enough), how about a ported barrel option for the TS carbines?"

alot of that depends on what kind of ammo you are using. i load rounds specifally for carbines that use every inch of the 16" long barrel to gain speed. you use the same rounds in apistol they dont work for crap. just because you can use it in a pistol doesnt mean it doesnt gain speed for the full 16" length of the barrel.

SW

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and porting in an automatic pistol HAS to be done when the barrel and slide are mated in manufacture to make sure the slots cut in the slide match the barrel. if its so easy to cheaply do, why does mag-na-port (industry recognized as masters of this modification) charge 200+ dollars plus refinsihing charges and freight?

SW
You are talking abut an aftermarket mod done one an assembled gun, on a one-piece basis,
while the HP ported barrel can all be done in the barrel shop, one hundred pieces at a time.

With the proposed HP carbine ported barrel, there is no need for indexing, helix spiral goes all the way around the barrel, no up, no down, no alignment. HP will assemble such barrel like a normal barrel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Since pistol caliber rounds don't really need that full 16" BBL to pick up speed (10" rifled section is probably plenty long enough), how about a ported barrel option for the TS carbines?"

alot of that depends on what kind of ammo you are using. i load rounds specifally for carbines that use every inch of the 16" long barrel to gain speed. you use the same rounds in apistol they dont work for crap. just because you can use it in a pistol doesnt mean it doesnt gain speed for the full 16" length of the barrel.

SW
But I suppose most HP shooters don't reload.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just lop 4" or so off the barrel and then attach something like a fully slotted or holed fh rather than trying to port the barrel?

Plus, you'd have to slide the front sight back, and to do that you'd have to cut short the hand guards.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
16" = minimal legal length....

the ported bbl is just a bbl with built-in break. front-sight stays the same.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts

SW
But I suppose most HP shooters don't reload.
Have you checked the reloading sub forum? Theres tons of topics and tons of guys here who reload.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts