Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pro's & Con's... Me, Less fouling (lead) Sexy looking, lots'a colors to choose from. Fun to do.
Outside of a small investment and some time, it pays off. Powder is the most perhaps $$.(Eastwood)
Better to go in 1/2 with someone, or just get a 1/2 lb. It will pretty much last forever. Being retired I am in no hurry.
And with the price of stuff nowadays, I for one can't afford to knock off bookoo rnds like I used to.
And a whole lot less messy to contend with. But! to each their own.
Wood Gas Road surface Tints and shades Metal
Circuit component Drink Beer tap Musical instrument Machine

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Never thought I'd like them but yes, lots of benefits as you listed

·
BoolitMaster
206 Posts
@Lovetoshoot I've been powder coating for several years now, and it's my preferred way to lube bullets. I have lubed bullets in the past about every way possible, and still have the ability to do so if it ever comes to that, it's always good to have a backup plan for anything, especially this day in time. The little added time required to PC bullets outweighs the benefits for me as I can coat, cure, size and gas check bullets if those are needed and store them long term ready to load with no issues unlike bullets that I TL or use traditional lube with.

The coating also adds many benefits as well too numerous to mention, but you can read them here Why powder coat?

Lee 230 gr. 45 ACP
Light Natural material Wood Jewellery Metal

·
Super Moderator
10,513 Posts
I have about quit powder coating. About the only time I powder coat now is to increase the diameter of some bullets cast for my 45/70 that drop from the mold undersized.

I see no advantage in powder coating other than increasing bullet diameter, but don’t see disadvantage either. Except time. I start the powder coating process by putting plastic BB’s in a Tupperware bowl dropping in the powder coat and bullets and shaking. A process that worked some days, other days not so much. Has to do with humidity I am told. I cook the bullets in an old toaster oven that was given to me, along with another one that was a $5 yard sale find. The 2nd oven sure speeds things up. I also like to warm the bullets in the oven before shaking them up in the Tupperware bowl. It does wonders for powder adhesion. After the bullets cool I size them and put gas checks on those bullets designed for gas checks. Some will say gas checks are not needed for powder coated bullets, but I find that the gas checks are good for accuracy.

Compared to the old way, and my new way too I guess. I take the cast bullets, spray them with furniture polish and run them through a sizing die, adding gas checks for those bullets needing gas checks. I then tumble the bullets with mule snot, sprinkle them with talc, and let them dry. Easy-Peasy!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Compared to the old way, and my new way too I guess. I take the cast bullets, spray them with furniture polish and run them through a sizing die, adding gas checks for those bullets needing gas checks. I then tumble the bullets with mule snot, sprinkle them with talc, and let them dry. Easy-Peasy!"

Don't believe I've heard of that process. I'll have to give it a try. Regards to powder coating,I agree about humidity. Some good days, some so-so. Warming them seemed to make no difference to me. (putting them on top of the oven for a while) Like I stated,the advantages are several and I'll keep doing it. But I will try your 'new' way. I'm game.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Lovetoshoot I've been powder coating for several years now, and it's my preferred way to lube bullets. I have lubed bullets in the past about every way possible, and still have the ability to do so if it ever comes to that, it's always good to have a backup plan for anything, especially this day in time. The little added time required to PC bullets outweighs the benefits for me as I can coat, cure, size and gas check bullets if those are needed and store them long term ready to load with no issues unlike bullets that I TL or use traditional lube with.

The coating also adds many benefits as well too numerous to mention, but you can read them here Why powder coat?

Lee 230 gr. 45 ACP
View attachment 77068
What kind of powder do you use? I started w/harbor (terrible) but have been using Eastwood for quite a while now.

·
Super Moderator
10,513 Posts
What kind of powder do you use? I started w/harbor (terrible) but have been using Eastwood for quite a while now.
Eastwood. But I have had good luck with Harbor Freight red. The other colors? Not so much.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use Eastwood, Smokes powders he sells over on the Cast Bullet Forum, Prismatic Powders and the Powder Coat Store.
Gotta check them out also. Powder coat is the way to go for me, unless you pump out a super bunch of rounds. $$$ And primers being the main
concern.$$$ These writers in gun mags get a good supply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts