Powder handling cheat

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by welderman, Dec 18, 2014.

1. welderman

welderman Member

I use the Lee line of products and I'm pretty happy with it all. That said, I have gotten a good idea for those of us in my situation, little money. I'm sure a lot of you use a digital scale to load the hopper on your Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I don't have the money for a digital so I end up with some amount of powder left in the hopper at the end of a run. Even though I close the hopper there is a little left in the chamber below the hopper.
    So I decided to take a clean case for each caliber I reload, pressed in a primer upside down and put it in the die box. When I finish a run I close the hopper and use this case to empty the chamber below the hopper, then dump the hopper back into the appropriate powder can/bottle. It took me about ten minutes to make a case like this for each caliber and now I don't have powder sprinkled over my reload table to clean up.
    Just thought this might help those on the forum like me with limited funds, hope it helps somebody.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Hmmmm...:cool:

Silly me. I just close, remove and dump the hopper back in, then run the nominally empty thrower a few times into the powder lid, as I tap the thing, and then dump it into the powder as well.

3. welderman

welderman Member

Yeah, like I said when I throw the little that's left into anything plastic I have powder that spatters onto the table. This way I avoid that problem. But hey, to each his own. This was just an idea, take it or leave it makes no difference to me.

4. jcwit

jcwit Member

5. rickm

rickm Member

I just use the pan that came with my scales to dump the powder left in the dispenser after i turn it off and pour it into the hopper then dump hopper back into powder container. And why do you weigh the powder before loading it into the hopper i just pour powder into the hopper and load away til either i run out or get finished and then dump what is left back into container.

6. I use an old case with a spent primer too but just dump the powder in the hopper. Lee has an off and on mode for the hopper.

7. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Keep a fired case for each caliber and use them to get the last out. When I fill the hopper I just pour some in.

8. Branth

Branth Member

I just keep a shotglass at my loading bench. When I'm doing high-precision loads where every charge is measured, powder gets dumped into the shotglass, put on the scale tray, then trickled to weight. When I'm doing bulk loads straight from the measure, every 10th load gets dumped into the shotglass instead of the case so I can measure it. When I'm done, I close off the hopper, throw the lever three or four times, tapping the measure to be sure I shake all the powder out, and then dump it all back in the hopper. Then I just drain the hopper back into the powder jug so I can't forget what powder I was using.

9. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Lots of good ideas!
    I'm thinking my next major move is reloading...

10. moona11

Just be careful under. Read a lot and watch videos.

11. Be careful, it's an addiction then an obsession. I started out to just to save money on range fodder, now I have 1000's of reloaded rounds, 1000's to reload, vibratory tumbler, ultrasonic cleaner, new press coming soon and no space left in my safe. It's a good problem to have.

12. Asher1

Asher1 Member

I found when using just one disk (not double disk loading), I shut the hopper off the second from the last round. That is enough to load the last round and then just take a empty case and run the last part into the case and dump it back in.

So for a couple more tricks...

-take a paint marker and make a mark on the side of the hopper this way you know when it's on and off..

-take a used dryer sheet and rub down the inside of the hopper, this will reduce the static and keep the powder from sticking to the sides so much...

-if you use multiple powders, write them on masking tape (or use a label maker if your fancy)... make each powder a different label and place them above one another on your hopper... then just take a rubber band and put it around the hopper over the label of the powder your using.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

Sir, YES SIR!!!

Thanks for your concern. I am currently studying the situation, and do not own any equipment as of yet. I should be fully ready before I commence ;)

14. moona11

Carry on knuckle head :p

15. And don't let the door get in the way when entering the reloading room.

16. Branth

Branth Member

Personally, I think there's too much that can go wrong with this - If you nudge the rubber band or something and it ends up on the wrong bit of tape, or if one of the bits becomes illegible, or you just plain don't check it, you end up using the wrong powder and quite possibly KB'ing your gun.

I just try not to leave any powder in the hopper. I pull my pound of powder off the shelf, fill the hopper, and LEAVE IT OUT on the workbench as I work so I don't forget what powder I'm using. When I'm done, I close the hopper, throw a few charges into a shotglass to drain the remainder in the tube, then dump the remainder and the hopper back in the powder jug.

17. Asher1

Asher1 Member

I don't leave the powder in mine either, I empty it after every session... This is more of a back-up to the "non-memory" issues I have... Being redundant on the safety side is pretty good for me... If your not able to keep the labels fresh enough to read, I really doubt that reloading would be in your best interest or safety...

It's not for everyone, if your tugging on your hopper enough to worry about a moving a rubber band around or wearing the marking off a tape strip (and not refreshing) then this method is not for you...

18. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I empty mine after every run as well, that and I have THOUSANDS of casings waiting to be run through the process. So I just grab one of those, clear the last charge sitting in the disks, and dump it back in to the jug with the rest of the unused powder.

19. Branth

Branth Member

As a backup, it's a clever idea and I like it - I just had visions of someone leaving powder in their hopper for three or four weeks, bumping it once or twice as they did other stuff around the tool bench, and coming back and thinking they had a different powder.

20. moona11

You should always put the powder back in its original container. Leaving it in the hopper allows moisture in and you can forget what's in there.