Powder prices nuts in your AO?

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by Branth, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Branth

Branth Member

I just went to my local sporting goods store to casually pick up a pound of powder, and saw to my shock that prices had suddenly jumped from around $22-$24 all the way up to $30/lb. After debating briefly just setting it back on the shelf, I finally bit the bullet (so to speak) and brought it home.

Are powder prices this crazy everywhere, or is my local store ripping me off?

2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I'm finding it locally from $25 to $29. And primers are now costing me $39 per K.

3. The LGS is 28 to 30 bucks and Walmart is 24.97 when they have any but last year they were 17.97 for the same thing so ya it has gone up. Got some at the gun show this spring for 20 a pound.

4. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

$45/lb for powder
    $50/k for primers

They claim their HAZMAT fees increased so the price had to reflect the increased cost. I called BS and pulled up the UPS website to show to them and was told to remove myself from the store and not come back.

5. I haven't seen powder for less than $35/# in a while. Hazmat fees and availability are cited as the reasons.

6. Grant

Grant Member

I bought 2# of autocomp for $27/lb and $40 for 1000 primers here. My 1st purchases so I don't know any better.

7. rickm

rickm Member

I have to drive 3 hours to even get close to some place that stocks powder so i just order mine online or wait til a gunshow comes to town and pray they have some at a reasonable price. The show a week ago had powder but none i was needing and was asking $38 a pound for it.

8. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

They obviously don't need Your business what with their new prices...

*sshats!

eldar

9. Rachgier

Pretty much. The shop is owned by the brother who owns the store that "accidentally" sold the 30/30 I put on hold. I haven't been back to either shop since. I'll stick with the LGS that's a block away from my house. He's still trying to sell me that .50 BMG. I keep trying to convince him to leave it to me in his will.

10. noylj

noylj Member

I haven't actually SEEN any powder in the local sporting goods stores in about three years. I hear that if I want to camp out on Thursdays when one of the stores gets shipments, I might be able to buy some.
    I have seen occasional bottles of powder in stores out of state, but never any that I was interested in buying.

11. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Available here but nothing I use... $24-30 is the going rate depending on what it is. Last pound of CFE223 I bought was $28

12. Branth

Branth Member

I'm just so ready for this shortage to be over... *sigh*

I'm down to less than 100 rounds of .22, and I have TWO new shooters to train.

13. Rachgier

I can get .22 if I'm willing to wait. Every other Thursday Gander Mt gets their .22 in and they get a pallet of the Remington bucket o bullets and sell it for $69.99+tax. So for around $75 and some standing in line I could get it if I really wanted to.

14. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I can get 1# of Power Pistol for less than $19 locally. Bought 1,000 ct box of CCI 500 primers for about $30 the other day.

Bullets too Hornady 115 gr XTP 100 ct bx
    Berry's 115 gr CPRN 250 ct box

15. Powder here went up about $6-$8 a pound from a few years back. But as of a few weeks ago, still hard to find 8 pounders. Primers are in the $35 range, averaging out the brands.

16. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

No LGS or reloading shops within 75 miles of here, so when you add the cost of gas to drive for 1-1/2 hrs down the canyon and another 1-1/2 hrs back to the $35/pound that they are asking... powder (if they even have any) has become as rare as hen's teeth..... :mad:

17. Put some cash aside and scour the internet for deals. This is one place to start. http://gunbot.net/reloading/Powder/

18. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Nice site! Thanks for the link. :cool:

19. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Trick with gunbot is if you are looking for ammo you can set a price point and an alarm. Minimize that window and let it run in the background all day long. How I found 22lr the last time. Have to pounce fast on popular ammo.

20. Hot-Shot

Hot-Shot Member

Depends where you are , last winter I paid 35.00 for 1 lb. of American select I had no choice had the press, brass, lead , primers. I started going to gun shows in PA (non allowed in the state of NJ ) and got 4 lbs. of Power Pistol for 79.00 and primers for 29.00 no shipping or tax either one lb. of titegroup was 18.95
    [​IMG]