Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about reloading mainly pistol amd want a good all around powder, which is AVAILABLE also, for pistol caliber rounds and carbine uses. Here's my list:

9mm handguns, 10" AR9 plus 16" AR9
10mm handguns & carbine
45 acp handguns & carbine

Now if this means 2 powders, that is great. I want good handgun performance but if carbines need a slower powder, then so be it.

I just would love to find 2-3 good powders (or less) to cover all my needs. Think about K.I.S.S. theory, and/or an SHTF prepper mindset.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

cross posted, wrong thread, phone app mess or user error

·
Super Moderator
28,581 Posts
I'm thinking about reloading mainly pistol amd want a good all around powder, which is AVAILABLE also, for pistol caliber rounds and carbine uses. Here's my list:

10mm handguns & carbine

Now if this means 2 powders, that is great. I want good handgun performance but if carbines need a slower powder, then so be it.

I just would love to find 2-3 good powders (or less) to cover all my needs. Think about K.I.S.S. theory, and/or an SHTF prepper mindset.
I'm interested in this answer too. Not too long ago, I switched from Hodgdon's Titegroup to Aliant's Unique. So far I've been happy with it but I've also heard good things about the Dot powders and Hodgdon's Universal.

I also have a pound of Lil'gun for if I run out of CFE BLK but I've read that it works pretty well for most magnum pistol cartridges.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
36,046 Posts

10mm handguns & carbine
I think the key will be "Available". I think that may be extremely varied based on AO.
For instance, even before the insanity, I rarely saw any "Dot" powders, but in other places, they seem to be the only thing anyone uses.
Since powder has become a non-thing at most LGS in my area, I've picked up all sorts of odds and ends. IMR Target, TiteGroup, Accurate No. 2, and HP-38.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Super Moderator
28,581 Posts
I think the key will be "Available". I think that may be extremely varied based on AO.
For instance, even before the insanity, I rarely saw any "Dot" powders, but in other places, they seem to be the only thing anyone uses.
Since powder has become a non-thing at most LGS in my area, I've picked up all sorts of odds and ends. IMR Target, TiteGroup, Accurate No. 2, and HP-38.
I have, quite honestly, considered picking up some BP and BP Substitute as a backup for loading .38SPL.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
36,046 Posts
I have, quite honestly, considered picking up some BP and BP Substitute as a backup for loading .38SPL.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I read that the people that make Goex are shutting down, the people on that thread thought that meant there were no more domestic BP makers.
Might want to get it quick, if you are going to.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Super Moderator
28,581 Posts
I read that the people that make Goex are shutting down, the people on that thread thought that meant there were no more domestic BP makers.
Might want to get it quick, if you are going to.
They're the ones who's plant exploded and now they're not going to rebuild, right?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
24,938 Posts
Hodgdon owns Goex, for those who aren't aware, so yes.. and no. Multiple safety violations and explosions ranging back to the 90's and this last one has them ready to sell off the plant...

Hodgdon also owns Pyrodex, Triple 7, and Blackhorn 209.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
If you can find it, 3F BP works very well in .38 Special. As Rach mentioned, no clue how long any of those will be around, but I've used Pyrodex and Goex w/o a problem (except the soot) NEVER leave a firearm used with BP until tomorrow to clean. You'll have rust.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts

10mm handguns & carbine

No idea what's available in your AO. My choose would be Unique, True Blue and Accurate #5 - in that order. There are others, but you wanted the top 3 for pistol/PCC.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
Everything
3,033 Posts
I like Accurate no. 9 for 44 magnum. I'm pretty sure it's a good one for 45 as well but all my reloading shit is packed up for the move right now so I can't look.

·
Administrator
24,938 Posts
I use Varget and Viht for rifles, Clay's and Universal for pistols. Much better and worse out there, but every caliber I shoot has a load in those powders.

·
Premium Member
9,437 Posts
Three powders I always keep on hand is Unique, 3031, and 4227. Those cover rifle calibers from 22 Hornet to 45-70, excluding the belted magnums, along with standard and magnum pistol.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, it's great to see that there are multiple CORRECT choices for this question!

I'm hoping I can find a Pistol Powder and also a good all around rifle powder, as U know
my problem is not always funds but availability or knowing what to buy! I'm hoping I can find
and buy maybe 3 powders for each but I'll be happy with 1 of each for now...

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you can find it, 3F BP works very well in .38 Special. As Rach mentioned, no clue how long any of those will be around, but I've used Pyrodex and Goex w/o a problem (except the soot) NEVER leave a firearm used with BP until tomorrow to clean. You'll have rust.
I'd imagine a .357 Magnum handgun could handle any BP 38 Special load, do your sources prove this too?

Educate me, DAWG

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
I'd imagine a .357 Magnum handgun could handle any BP 38 Special load, do your sources prove this too?

Educate me, DAWG
The .38 Special was originally designed as a BP load. Original load was about 21 grains with a 158 gn lead bullet. I have no data on pressure, but, as BP generally generates less pressure than smokeless, these are relatively low pressure loads. I've never done .357 with BP, but I doubt you can get enough 3F into a case to even equal pressure of a modern 357 with Unique. Start around 16 to 18 grains and work your way up - I'm betting that you can't get enough BP in the case to cause pressure signs. If you back off to a 125-130 bullet you may get more MV, but you should get less pressure too. Wash your cases ASAP after firing and clean your revolver like a Marine in boot camp. This stuff collects moisture like a sponge!! (You should have seen my SIL's 1858 Remington repo after he put it away uncleaned for a year. Took me hours to gt it working again). I've seen guys get 9mm pistols to work with BP, but I'm thinking they are using 4F. Not something I want to try, as 4F is strictly for priming flintlock muzzleloaders. It is very fast and I have no clue what it will do in a revolver case. BE CAREFUL if you are using plated or jacketed bullets!!! IT IS POSSIBLE TO STICK A BULLET IN THE BARREL - which could create a pipe bomb effect. I've used strictly soft cast bullets tumble lubed with Alox/paste wax (50/50) and had no problems. Pyrodex is use 1 to 1 BY VOLUME to replace BP - NOT BY WEIGHT. Hope this helps, Mole-man

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The .38 Special was originally designed as a BP load. Original load was about 21 grains with a 158 gn lead bullet. I have no data on pressure, but, as BP generally generates less pressure than smokeless, these are relatively low pressure loads. I've never done .357 with BP, but I doubt you can get enough 3F into a case to even equal pressure of a modern 357 with Unique. Start around 16 to 18 grains and work your way up - I'm betting that you can't get enough BP in the case to cause pressure signs. If you back off to a 125-130 bullet you may get more MV, but you should get less pressure too. Wash your cases ASAP after firing and clean your revolver like a Marine in boot camp. This stuff collects moisture like a sponge!! (You should have seen my SIL's 1858 Remington repo after he put it away uncleaned for a year. Took me hours to gt it working again). I've seen guys get 9mm pistols to work with BP, but I'm thinking they are using 4F. Not something I want to try, as 4F is strictly for priming flintlock muzzleloaders. It is very fast and I have no clue what it will do in a revolver case. BE CAREFUL if you are using plated or jacketed bullets!!! IT IS POSSIBLE TO STICK A BULLET IN THE BARREL - which could create a pipe bomb effect. I've used strictly soft cast bullets tumble lubed with Alox/paste wax (50/50) and had no problems. Pyrodex is use 1 to 1 BY VOLUME to replace BP - NOT BY WEIGHT. Hope this helps, Mole-man
It might be a Fool's Errand to go there, but having an SHTF black powder load is not a bad idea.
Even a semi-hot BP 38SPC black powder load would be good to have. REAPER used to load 38SPC
to 357 Magnum levels but only shoot it in his 357 guns. So I know it's a viable task and I was thinking
"compressed loads" when I asked the first time.

·
Premium Member
36,046 Posts
Hodgdon owns Goex, for those who aren't aware, so yes.. and no. Multiple safety violations and explosions ranging back to the 90's and this last one has them ready to sell off the plant...

Hodgdon also owns Pyrodex, Triple 7, and Blackhorn 209.
For the purists....those aren’t “real” black powder. Personally, I don’t care, I’ll use the synthetic stuff every time.

Reactions: Jim_Sterling
1 - 20 of 22 Posts