Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so the .3cc Lee scoop dishes out say X.X grains of W231. But I need a little more to start say with Y.Y grains for 125 grain LRN. I'm thinking to myself do I make myself a set of scoops using spent cut down 9mm cases and a handle with the primer hole soldered shut for Y.Y through Z.Z. grains? That could be neat. But how about instead making a powder trickler? RCBS sells a nice one for $15 but like most folks here I'd rather buy components with that. What do folk think about the idea of using a small glass salt shaker as a powder trickler? If the holes on the metal top are too small then all the better as only one or more of them can be enlarged to pass powder through. What are other people using? Are you weighing powder for every round or have you made up your own scoops? The Lee scoop set measures are not good enough. What say?

·
Registered
312 Posts
When I was using my Lee single stage, I used their Perfect Powder Measure (PPM) on my bench. Now that I'm reloading on the Lee Classic Turret (LCT) I use their Pro Disk with the adjustable charge bar.

However, rather than try to reinvent the wheel, next time you place a component order with them, Midway USA has a fully functional powder trickler for $9.79 . It ain't fancy, but I have one and it works.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=566971

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I use a once fired 30-06 cas for a powder trickler, and please remove the load data from your post. It's our policy.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, Super_Virgil. Didn't dawn on me that I had done that. Original post now modfied as requested.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
the lee dippers are fine as long as you arent running right up to max load, and arent going for hiar splitting accuracy. i used them for months before getting a regular powder measure. they do the job, just as accuratly as a dedicated measure does.

SW

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
The only thing that I personally don't like about the Lee dippers is you can't really play with charge weights that way. Hey, it's not that big of a deal really, but it's a nice touch when you're working with a load. As far as getting started, if that's all you have, go with it.

vtjozef, if you need a Lee .5 Lee dipper, shoot me a PM with your address again, since I deleted the last one, and I'll mail one out your way. I have so many of those things it's not funny, I am sure I can spare one for a good cause.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Super_virgil: Thanks I have the Lee dipper set. .3 is too little and .5 is too much. Later today I am going to make my own dippers for the loads I want. Will post. Also on the 50 rounds I just loaded on another thread. Every round was tweaked exactly using the Lee scale. Dipper used only to get me in the ballpark. I found sprinkling was pretty easy. Thanks for your offer on the .4 dipper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts