Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of suggestions does anyone have on gun powder for loading 9mm? any preferences? loading 115 fmj and lead round nose.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I have had the best results with unique - works good for both jacketed and cast lead - Bullseye will work fine if you stick to jacketed, but is too hot for cast lead.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I load 124g cast lead round nose for my 9mm. The powders I've used with good results are Winchester 231 and Hogdon HP-38. They burn real clean.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
blue dot is great for the carbines but too slow for pistols. i use red dot in my pistol loads and blue dot for carbine loads. you can use unique for both but you wont get as many rounds per pound as you would with red dot.

SW

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
2TN, I don't know if you were aware, but Win 231 and HP-38 are the exact same powder, just called by different names. Hodgon bought out Winchesters powder manufacturing department some years ago and started selling it under their own designation as well as keeping it marked as Win 231.

I have pretty much quit using both of those powders at max charge weights with cast lead bullets in both pistol or carbine as it causes EXTREME leading from burning too hot. At max weights, it also burns really poorly and creates alot of smoke and is really dirty. Charges down in the starting loads or middle charge weights work well with minimal leading and little to no smoke as it has more time to burn cleanly. I have yet to try max loads with plated or jacketed bullets, but am very interested in the velocity, accuracy and recoil management I could get from it.

Your mileage may vary, that's just my experiences with it.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Primal,

Thanks for the heads up on the powders being the same. I was aware of the commonality of the 2 powders since the buyout. I believe that they are 2 of the very few powders that can be used interchangeably? They are listed right next to each other on most load data charts. Starting out I chose them for the simple reason of KISS, to lessen my chances of making a mix-up and having something unwanted occur. I'm just loading at or near minimum for target shooting with my pistols.
With the low to mid range charges, and the heavy boolits I'm using, there is very little leading and they are burning much cleaner than any factory ammo I've ever used. Gun is cleaner after 200 rounds when compared to 20 rounds of factory.When/if I ever get a 995 and a tommy I'll try some different powders. I believe SW has some excellent 9mm loads he's worked up and might be willing to share by PM if asked?
There is minimal leading but one swipe with the "Lewis Lead Remover" and it is all gone. There is some smoke but I attribute some of that to the alox.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Primal,

Thanks for the heads up on the powders being the same. I was aware of the commonality of the 2 powders since the buyout. I believe that they are 2 of the very few powders that can be used interchangeably? They are listed right next to each other on most load data charts. Starting out I chose them for the simple reason of KISS, to lessen my chances of making a mix-up and having something unwanted occur. I'm just loading at or near minimum for target shooting with my pistols.
With the low to mid range charges, and the heavy boolits I'm using, there is very little leading and they are burning much cleaner than any factory ammo I've ever used. Gun is cleaner after 200 rounds when compared to 20 rounds of factory.When/if I ever get a 995 and a tommy I'll try some different powders. I believe SW has some excellent 9mm loads he's worked up and might be willing to share by PM if asked?
There is minimal leading but one swipe with the "Lewis Lead Remover" and it is all gone. There is some smoke but I attribute some of that to the alox.
Do they make a Lewis Lead Remover for rifles?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
The Lews Lead Remover will work on rifles or pistols. All you need to do is use a longer cleaning rod for the rifle. The tip is made to fit the screw threads of any standard cleaning rod.

There is really no need to buy the entire kit. Just buy the caliber adaptor and patches for the caliber you need and attach them to your own cleaning rod.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Hasn't caused any issues for me so far. Brass cleaning screens are much softer than barrel steel so shouldn't be any issues. Or at least no more than normal wear and tear from the friction of lead or copper passing down the barrel. 1-2 passes with it has got to be less overall wear than 5-10 vigorous minutes with a brush?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.