Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a small 400w (800w peak) inverter to use on trips and during short power outages. If the need arises how could I keep a couple spare batteries in the house and use it for an extended amount of time? Maybe use three and cycle them on a charger? Or charge in the cars till I run out of gas? Ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
You would need a hell of a multiplier gear to get that alternator to spin fast enough for peak power. That being said though, its a pretty good idea. Plus an hour a day on a bike is good for the heart.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Make a wind generator .. There are a few cheap do it yourself wind generator instructions on the net ..

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome ideas here guys! I like the wind idea because it doesn't stop at sundown or a cloudy day, but I will probably do whatever is cheapest.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If you have a Harbor Freight store near you, they may have some relatively inexpensive wind turbines and/or solar cells that you can check out. Our store had some a few weeks ago, but they have all sold now.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Running on by emr backup power(inverter) now. And this is not a test. Hopefully it will last long enough for the alarm clock to go off in the morning.

Maybe I should use the water alarm system.

·
1,792 Posts
OK, You have my attention. Now you must explain or post a pic. :)

>>>>> ETA, I am a true IDIOT>>>>>>> as soon as I hit post I got it.

I thought you had some contraption set up.... Oh, If you cant laugh at yourself...

I told you that thayldt21 was slow.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Running on by emr backup power(inverter) now. And this is not a test. Hopefully it will last long enough for the alarm clock to go off in the morning.

Why not turn off the power, save the juice and use your wind up alarm clock, or cell phone, or alarm feature on your watch? Save the battery for something important.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Why not turn off the power, save the juice and use your wind up alarm clock, or cell phone, or alarm feature on your watch? Save the battery for something important.
Don't own a windup alarm clock or a cell phone or a watch. Maybe should get a windup alarm clock.

IMO: A cell phone is a time waster/project interrupter. Having a watch takes away ones natural sense of time.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
OK, You have my attention. Now you must explain or post a pic. :)

>>>>> ETA, I am a true IDIOT>>>>>>> as soon as I hit post I got it.

I thought you had some contraption set up.... Oh, If you cant laugh at yourself...

I told you that thayldt21 was slow.
I didn't use normal wording for it, because I didn't know if that wording is PC.

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
IMO: A cell phone is a time waster/project interrupter. Having a watch takes away ones natural sense of time.

Not really! It can also be a life saver at times. I NEVER go anywhere with out my cellphone it acts as communication,calander,timepiece,stopwatch,light, and entertainment [mine has games as well as FM radio in it] The camera has photos of some things I want to keep to remeber [when I was doing security and I had a suspicous vehicle I could go by and take a photo of vehicle AND license plate]

·
Registered
445 Posts
Don't own a windup alarm clock or a cell phone or a watch. Maybe should get a windup alarm clock.

Couple of misconceptions here.

A c-phone is for your convinience, not theirs. You pay the bill so turn it on/off as needed. It is a com device like any other.

A wind up clock should be in every prepers gear. You may have a perfect internal clock but someone else may need to know when to come relieve you from guard duty. If you are the one comming to relieve me I guarentee your personal sense of time will be augmented by my wind up clock. That or I'll call you on my phone.

·
Registered
467 Posts
As to the original question:

Get one or two deep cycle batteries. These are intended to be used for extended periods up to complete depletion. The are designed for extended current draw rather than short high-current bursts (like a car battery). You can either keep them on a float charger, that will maintain a charge, or charge them and store them off the ground (wood pallets work). The ground is literally an earth ground and will discharge any battery over time.

Two or more 12v deep cycles wired in parallel will last quite a while powering a minimal set of electric devices (fluorescent lamps, radio, clock, etc.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for getting this thread back on track...will a float charger use more power than it puts back into the bateries if it is plugged into the inverter? Just curious.

·
Registered
205 Posts
lol if it did that would solve the worlds energy problems ahahhahahahah

no at most a float charger will put out 1 to 2 amps

if you run a 400 watt inverter at 100 watts you will be using roughly 8 to 9 amps at 12 volts

amps x volts = watts

watts / volts = amps

watts / amps = volts

we know average voltage is 12 so just plug in the rest of the numbers

now for a float charger at 2 amps it will only be about 80 to 85 % efficient if a ss device ss= solid state

so at that efficiency level you would use about 2.4 amps with a .2 amp loss for every amp put in thats at 80% efficiency

personally i would get a solar panel and toss on the roof

but yea the minute you aquire unity or zero point energy i wanna know and so does everyone else but dont tell the governing factions till after you have told all of us ^-^

1 - 20 of 30 Posts