Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its got a coolness factor and I assume it's making use of expired patents on some tesla technology it must be a primary coil (in mat) and secondary coil (in receiver), But really? $100 bucks for the mat and $40 bucks for a receiver for each device I own? when I get a perfectly good adapter (free) with all of them? I don't get it. I can get aftermarket ac adapters or car chargeres for anything I own for around $7-$9 bucks, if I happen to break one. Is anybody gonna buy one of these?

I know they're trying the "green" marketing with them .."most people leave adapters plugged in allday long and have several......" well hey buy a powerstrip for $15-20 bucks and hit the little off switch in the morning and the on switch when you plug your stuff back in. Jeez .."fixing" problems that don't exist in the name of "green".

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Wireless charging is actually something they should be building into cellphones ANYWAY! It is nice to just set your phone down, and when you pick it up in the morning, it's charged and ready to go!

Other real world advantages to this:

-Wireless charger+touchscreen+sealed case=TRUE waterproof cellphone
-Universal charging points. Build this into cellphones as a standard, and soon hotels will offer wireless chargers at the bedside for devices. That way you never have to worry about bringing a charger again
-Less wear and tear on the mechanical parts of the phone (I've had to get rid of 3 phones that had the charger ports just wear out)

Besides, with Bluetooth standard on all phones, file transfers wirelessly kill the need for a cable (except for the iPhone, which is catered to the idiot who thinks that iTunes must do EVERYTHING with their phone, and apple won't let you do BT transfer!)

·
Premium Member
36,313 Posts
Yep to the above posts. Not going there, until they build in the other things that make this worth while...and cheaper.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Wireless charger+touchscreen+sealed case=TRUE waterproof cellphone
FTW! How many of us have had to replace a cell phone because we dropped it in the toilet, got caught out in a downpour, or spilled a beverage of choice.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wireless charging is actually something they should be building into cellphones ANYWAY! It is nice to just set your phone down, and when you pick it up in the morning, it's charged and ready to go!

Other real world advantages to this:

-Wireless charger+touchscreen+sealed case=TRUE waterproof cellphone
-Universal charging points. Build this into cellphones as a standard, and soon hotels will offer wireless chargers at the bedside for devices. That way you never have to worry about bringing a charger again
-Less wear and tear on the mechanical parts of the phone (I've had to get rid of 3 phones that had the charger ports just wear out)

Besides, with Bluetooth standard on all phones, file transfers wirelessly kill the need for a cable (except for the iPhone, which is catered to the idiot who thinks that iTunes must do EVERYTHING with their phone, and apple won't let you do BT transfer!)
I'll give you all these points IF this was a built in system and I didn't have to pay more than I did for the phone to get it! This system makes me attach a receiver to the back of my phone as I understand it thereby rendering my belt holster useless and probably most custom cases if you go that route. So when its part of the phone and I don't have to pay extra I'll give it a thumbs up..MAYBE ..after I find out how much it is to replace the secondary coil that I assume will be inside my phone if it fubar's. BTW why on earth would you get rid of a phone because a charger port wore out? even if it wasn't under warranty any cell carrier location with a tech or you yourself could replace it if you're handy with a soldering iron.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
This was exactly the issue when wireless NIC cards became available... people didn't want to buy a wireless card just to turn around to buy a router too. So when the wireless cards became standard... everyone and their brother got a router for it.
It's a nickle and dime game until something is standardized... another example of this is the relatively poor sales of auto-based satellite radio systems... people don't want to pay for a satellite radio system in their cars, just to turn around and buy a subscription for it too... but when it comes standard, people won't mind paying a subscription. This is exactly how Verizon capitalizes on their phone's capabilities... they cripple the phone with the ROM, and charge monthly fees to "unlock" the said feature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts