Pre-ban Norinco 9x19

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by lklawson, Apr 13, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Back in the early '90s I was gifted half a case or so of Norinco brand 9x19 Para ammunition, brass cased, in yellow boxes (I think they are yellow box, anyway).

I still have 2-4 of these 50 round boxes. They shoot OK. Accurate enough and, though I've been told otherwise, they never seemed particularly dirty shooting to me.

Anyway, I'm not an Ammo Collector but I do know that banning something makes the pre-ban stuff more valuable usually. I couldn't find anything definitive off of a google search so I'm ask'n.

Do these boxes have any particular "collector" value? Could I trade 'em 1-box for 2 new manufacture or something?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

That Norinco ammo has no collector value, I used to shoot a LOT of that stuff and if I remember correctly, it is pretty hot ammo. I have a Ruger P85 that loves it, but a Glock 19 had an issue with it.

3. panoz77

panoz77 Member

I doubt it has any significant value. Not sure what the value of "pre-ban" 9mm is, I'm not sure there is any regulation banning import of 9mm, the Russians import tons of the stuff. Why was it banned, I'm not aware.

4. FlashBang

Norinco ammo was banned as it is Chinese. I believe it was Bill Clinton who signed the bill banning it.

5. papataylor

papataylor Member

Sadly no, they weren't produced in a low enough amount to be collectible. Though you may find some aficionado that just HAS to have it. Around here it's fairly plentiful at the gun shows

6. panoz77

panoz77 Member

I know they banned the chinese x39 and such with mild steel cores, but 9mm, wow they covered the bases on that one. We are more friendly with the Chinese now than the Russians and still import the crap out of their ammo, go figure trying to make sense of politicians and their laws.

7. FlashBang

Oblamer banned the import of ammunition and firearms from Russia. BUT.. this is where it gets ridiculous... Kalashnikov can manufacture AK-47's or ammo here in the US and they are legal to sell. Same as Norinco... if they manufacture it either in the US or another country that does not have a ban on it, it can be imported and sold here. Same firearm, same ammo, but just manufactured outside of their home country.

8. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

How many of our current gun laws are ridiculous like that?

I can go out and buy a rifle or pistol, with no prior firearms training, load it up, strap it to my waist, or over my shoulder, in plain sight, and be perfectly legal(in most states). If I want to cover my handgun up, I need class time and a permit.

You need to go to an FFL to buy a new gun, but any gun that's 50 years old, or older, isn't really a problem, and can be mailed directly to you, if you have a C&R license.

9. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Nearly ALL of them. :mad:

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Clitton banned all Norimco ammo and guns, regardless of caliber.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Kirk, you tease.:mad:

I thought you meant this kind of Norinco 9X19.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    mmmeeeeeeeeeeeee twooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! :rofl:

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Not particularly easy to find, that.

I'm not a big enough tok fan to put the work into finding one.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. that ban really does suck.

Imagine SKS's back at $90 and AK's $190

and the ammo even cheaper.

all kinds of cheap fun stuff.

Of course the libs want that gone. And of course the American Gun manufacturers aren't going to pump money into stopping it. and therefore the NRA wont touch it.

Sad, good for the makers, and politicians.
    f*cking the little guy since the 90's

15. FlashBang

$90??? You could buy them for $39 each if you took a pallet load. Wish I knew then what I know now.... :mad:

16. I was figuring inflation and all:p

I wish i knew what they sold the knock off M1A'a for.

Im always a "buy american" guy. but i dont think i could have passed up $50 SKS's and an M1A under $300

Man what was a spam can of ammo from china costing?
    Remmington and winchester probably got rich just from banning that.