Prepare for Grid Down

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by TNTRAILERTRASH, Sep 20, 2020.

1. histed

histed Supporting Member

Yeah, NO, I'm not. Getting as bad a moonzie! Meant to say I'm NOT holding my breath or freaking out over it. Life's too short. Now I gotta edit the original

undeRGRound likes this.
  2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    You mean the pole that looks like kids were playing with a stolen chainsaw?

SWAGA likes this.

3. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I'm sure someone's home security camera caught images of the limperjerks. Maybe snowflake black clothes wearing peaceful demonstrators.

Rabidwookie and undeRGRound like this.
  4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Too late. It's already memorialized in a few quotes...;)

histed likes this.
  5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

6. Think1st

Florida
    It almost looked like someone was prepping that pole for a quick final knock-down at some later time.

Merle and undeRGRound like this.
  7. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

I have a propane generator. When this Derecho hit last month with steady winds of 110-140 mph, it knocked all power off. Period, around a large area of the state. After about 2-3 days, the boys ran out of gasoline for their generators. Mine just kept humming along. My power was off for about a week. Each 20lb tank of my LP ran much longer than even the specs on it stated. Never even had to use one of my 30lb tanks. Took three 20's up to the co-op and they refilled easily. No power required to fill an LP tank. :D

lklawson, Rabidwookie, Merle and 3 others like this.
  8. TNTRAILERTRASH

Like a winter storm with some winds that could finish the job. If you listened it wasn't the only one that got cut.

The idiot reporter talks like the wooden poles are carrying "more that 12,000 volts." I doubt that. 1250 most definitely. I learned that number after a guy I worked with tangled into one with a boom on a block truck. It fried his ass bigtime. I told the bosses he was doing things wrong after telling him he was doing things wrong. His arrogance made several orphans, and a widow.

Merle likes this.
  9. TNTRAILERTRASH

I heard a pump last time I filled a flatbed truck, and a couple of bottles. Propane delivery trucks use the pump and engine on the tanker.

10. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

So?? At the LP tank fill up sites here, the giant storage tanks, don't need any power. Those things can fill a 20 or 30 lb tank just by opening the valve.

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    ANTIFA are Amateurs, yep
    Looks like T1 said, pre-cut for a quick take-down...

Most wooden poles are 13,800v (around here) and after that 7200v and that is the lowest I know of, unless it is after the last transformer before a service into a building.

@TNTRAILERTRASH is almost 100% right here, Folks. I spent more time in the electrical industry than I care to remember, but ALSO I do know that even the smaller suppliers started "Hardening the Grid" several years ago. The last "scare" was fear of a Carrington Event. Solar Flares, EMP, etc. But TNT is right, even fixing those big vulnerabilities, the grid is still in need of protection from smaller threats, like Antifa and BLM morons. Fortunately here at the Mole Compound, we have 3 generators and transfer switch capabilities. I had a 3 week power outage here, as some may remember.

Rabidwookie, Merle, Rerun and 2 others like this.
  12. All a matter of shot placement....

undeRGRound and Think1st like this.
  13. TNTRAILERTRASH

Yep, not a big deal. Bottom of the reservoir.

Reading some of the links that I posted makes me wonder about hidden tech that might be inside the Chinese equipment that can be activated remotely. Then I wonder about where their equipment is all over the world.

Did I mention my cousin who has dual citizenship in Costa Rica told me that Mandarin is required as a second language there?

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    I won't even broadcast it here...
    But you are correct.

15. undeRGRound

INDY
    Pretty easy to check for that stuff, TrashyB

OldOutlaw likes this.
  16. Think1st

Florida
    Do a search on little components the size of a rice grain the Chinese built into some server hardware manufactured there for sale in the U.S. It would automatically package and transmit data to them, regardless of any software solutions to the contrary.

Chef Duane likes this.
  17. TNTRAILERTRASH

Most of our computers are 100% Chinesium.

18. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

We manufacture them as well. I worked in the laser drill room for IBM/EIT/E3 Technologies. My job was to drill the thru-holes and etch the pathways before they went to the gold room for final assembly. Then the board came back to me for kerfing on the laser and batch etching on the CO2 laser. We used helium neon and argon ion lasers.

Rabidwookie likes this.
  19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

No. But it is vulnerable. It's better than most others but that's not saying much.

That's not exactly true. It's actually quite tightly regulated, from production to delivery. Neither is it outsourced to the lowest bidder. Do you think that they'll let just anyone put up a power plant just anywhere? Egads, when was the last time they built a new power plant near you? There's always regulatory hurdles to cross, NIMBY to fight, and environmental protesters. And what about liens for all of the power delivery points along the public property and private property? Do you hear yourself?

No. Our power system is not in shambles. It is vulnerable to attack and to single points of failure in many spots. This is because as the technology developed it was developed to try to deliver power to the most people in most places, including through regulatory requirements, with the greatest build out. As the technology involved, the concept of protecting it from deliberate attack and sabotage was not a priority.

OldOutlaw, moona11 and undeRGRound like this.
  20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Don't bet too much on it staying that way.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

retread, Rabidwookie and undeRGRound like this.