Prepare for Grid Down

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by TNTRAILERTRASH, Sep 20, 2020.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

true

Not entirely true. There are definitely ways to mitigate but it's a pita. There is certainly software that will protect but it's not your average on PC type antivirus or PC type firewall crap.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

undeRGRound likes this.
  2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Maybe you should pay me $1 for every time we have a power interruption at my house.
    That will change your mind soon enough.
    Smaller power companies are competing with each other and that leads to minimal investment to maximize revenues.

undeRGRound likes this.

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    You guys had an entire section devoted to installing data stealing micro components??? That must have been a lucrative government contract.

4. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Member

I’ve been prepared for the Grid going down since Iben Browning predicted a major earthquake on the New Madrid Fault for December 1990. It didn’t cause a toilet paper shortage but you couldn’t find batteries within 200 miles of Southern Missouri.

undeRGRound likes this.
  5. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

You have FPL? If so none of your diatribe pertains to your woes. They aren't exactly small.

6. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

We had contracts with Boeing, Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems, USAF, DHS, etc. We even made the big ass "Phoenix" panels (PCB's) for the full body scanners they use in the airports. Never asked what the chips and carriers were for, but they made a big deal about the body scanner thing.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

That doesn't mean that the U.S. power grid is in shambles. It doesn't mean that it's not highly regulated. It doesn't mean any of the things you claimed.

Maybe you should pay me $1 for every time you say something completely unsupported or just flat wrong. :rolleyes:

Edknn likes this.
  8. SWAGA

I don’t give a spark, still a 3rd World grid.

@lklawson maybe you should just pay me, we’ll call it aggravation tax.

9. TNTRAILERTRASH

Lobby the PSC and straighten out FPL. Be a crusader for the power grid consumer. I doubt you know jackshit about power distribution. They are a public utility all of their outages can be researched.

If you have so many problems go off grid. Generate your own solar power. My borther is getting a system put in at his place with 2 big ass Tesla batteries. He's not going off grid, just supplementing what he has.

He's tight with his money. At his old place he had a cistern for water storage for laundry, and toilet flushing. Water in the Keys ain't cheap. It also reduced his sewer bill as that is based on your water consumption off the meter. If i was living where you are I would sell and move inland with an acre or two before things get too high.

undeRGRound likes this.
  10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

hahahaha

I know we both aggravate each other. Everyone aggravates everyone else here occasionally.

You owe me about $200 in aggravation tax now. Maybe tree-fitty. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. SWAGA

Tree fiddy seffen is what you should have bought.

12. Most have already read this I am sure but I figured I would just put this information here for anyone to read:

“Since 2015, George Soros has spent more than $17 million on district attorney races,” notes O’Reilly. That is why we’re witnessing an apparent collapse of the U.S. criminal justice system.

"You shoplift, they don't prosecute,” O’Reilly laments. “You punch somebody in the face, they don't prosecute.” You are arrested for auto theft and you’re back on the street in hours because no cash bail is required. You are arrested, even for deadly assault, and no cash bail is required, so you’re back on the streets.

Police departments in city after city are seeking to do their jobs in an environment where they know that Soros-funded prosecutors are going to let criminals go. The criminals themselves, quickly realizing that they're not going to be prosecuted, become emboldened. It's a vicious, vicious cycle.

https://townhall.com/columnists/jeffdavidson/2020/09/14/who-is-buying-district-attorneys-n2576141

Think1st likes this.
  13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    THIS ^^^

I never said it would :p
    ...and I know it won't. Soros Mercs are just a phone call away...

Some truth here...
    The whole picture is that the small operators are either transitioning to renewables, or going out of bidness altogether. We have a smaller regional operator right in my AO that has been adding Solar & experimental sources, and they just announced the closure of their last remaining coal fired boiler powerhouse. They were pretty much up to date in their compliance, but chose to close it instead of running on ever-reducing profit margins.

If the predictive mapping is correct, Moleville will be prime lakefront property after that super-quake. Lake Madrid ;)

Not even close. But still in need of some upgrades. For starters, we need to upgrade to an Uber-Grid (if you want a grid, in fact) of 1 million Volts.

or jsut scrap the Grid idea altogether and go full-on TESLA Wireless. Don't think "Elon Musk" either. Think NIKOLA ;) :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rabidwookie likes this.
  14. Think1st

Florida
    A vision of the future:

A bird takes wing after making a quick meal of a bug on a tree branch. The rapid flapping of its wings slows to a more rhythmic series of strokes through the air as it settles into a horizontal path towards its next destination. Two poles with oddly flanged tops tower over the ground to its left and right.

Down below, a pair of eight year-old boys stop the Hot Wheels race they were holding on the Grand National Plywood Ramp Speedway to look up at bird. "Here comes another," said the first boy to the second. "Yep," responded the other. As the bird passed between the poles, a purplish flash and a crackling noise manifested for a fraction of a second, followed by a small shower of charred feathers, a gnarled foot, and random bits of carbonized flesh and bone.

The first boy pulled a two-bit from his pocket and handed it to the other. "Well, that's five, now. It looks like you win today's bet."

SWAGA likes this.
  15. SWAGA

Bull was (is?) a sparky wasn’t he?

Think1st and undeRGRound like this.
  16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    IS, yes. Well, we don't call Linemen a Sparky, that is more for the guys like
    me that do the interior wiring. But, we can each work in the other's arena. I
    did do line work for a bit, it is not difficult but quite a bit different. @Bull
    was also in my type of Sparky too, but he went "outside". He knows way
    more about grids than I ever will, btw. @GoesBang is also IBEW. #BROTHERHOOD!

17. Think1st

Florida
    Yep. I do recall that.
    He is a lineman for the county, and he drives the main road searchin' in the sun for another overload.

histed likes this.
  18. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Yup, a few .22s to the body and the cooling oil drains out, it over heats and there's a fireworks show and fire. imagesOAH4C9PY.jpg

Rabidwookie likes this.
  19. TNTRAILERTRASH

That's the little ones on the poles.

I saw a couple of them get zolted by lightning bolts. Quite the fireworks show with flaming PBD's showering into the air!

Rabidwookie likes this.
  20. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Yeppers, that's it. It's anything that makes living in a urban area, suck. None of this stuff is top secret and is in numerous books and articles. Hell, even Popular Mechanics had a article recently on how to knock down statues.

Our infrastructure is pretty out in the open. If not out right damaged, you just need to scare people. Like now. How many businesses have taken a s&*t, how many people are unemployed? Now, shut the lights off, for several days, in the summer of any major city and it'll get nutz.

histed, SWAGA, Think1st and 3 others like this.