Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's one for those experience shooters out there. whats the best way to set up to accurately hit a target at ridicules ranges? how far out should your scope be zeroed? whats the best way to determine windage,bullet drop, etc. what is the best cartrige 30-06, 308, 223, 7.62x54r. I saw the thread about MOA and it got me thinking :devilsidesmile: I got soooooo much to learn!

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
I've never done it, but I have a friend who does long range competition shooting with a 45-70 out to 1000 yards.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
check out 6mmbr.com there is a place in my area that has the land and was trying to get a....Boomer....interest going. havent heard anything in a while. if i had the money,i could get into distance shooting.

·
Registered
985 Posts
i imagine the best way to set up is lots of practice around guys who are doing it already. they can give you tips and you get experience

·
Banned
1,838 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Hi;

I ran into a guy at the 1 range I collect brass at and he was a part of the Pennsylvania 1000 yard club. I think that this is sponsored by the Pa Game Commission and if not by the NRA.

The guy had a jacket on with the 1000yrd "club".

I would check with your State Game Commission or the NRA for info in your area.

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
If you are going to try 1000 yards, you'll probably need to reload your own ammo so bullet drop and all those calculations are going to be determined by whatever load you work up. Here is a guy doing it with a 91/30. Bullet drop for him is 32 feet.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
i do it fairly regular. handloads are very nearly a must. you need to know EXACTLY what you gun is doing at a given range. usually my workups involve shots at each 100 yard mark from 100 to 1000 to adjust. usually you will need at least 10-20 MOA scope mounts because the amount of adjustment needed is outside most scopes ability unless you want to "kentucky" sight. you must pay exacting attention to every aspect of shooting form to make that kind of shot. miniscule errors in trigger pull, breathing, grip etc can cause feet of difference at 1000 yards. a good rifle is a must. you cant get 1000 yard accuracy out of cheap charlie rifle. my marlin XL7 30-06 will shoot about 20" at 1000 yards after alot of load development work (think hundreds of rounds of shooting to get it right) and i have around 450$ tied up in rifle and glass, plus that much again in load development costs.

i would suggest shooting at 300-500 yards until you are proficient at those ranges and then move outward. steel silhouette matches are shot 500 yards offhand and this greatly improved my longer range shooting skills both offhand and when using a rest. my 45-70 has iron sights and given proper preparing shots i can hit a 6 foot gong at 1000 yards easily.

SW

·
Premium Member
146 Posts

·