Prepayed gas almost stolen

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by SHOOTER Z, May 11, 2008.

1. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Watch your pump when you prepay gas. Had someone try to steal a guys gas from the pump. He had gone in to prepay and another guy grabbed the hose and tried to get it over to his car and steal the gas. The prepayee came out yelling and junped on the guy, almost needed an ambulance :lol: This happened Sat. night in Greenville SC

2. Things are only going to get worse as the price of liquid crack goes up I'm afraid.

Thats sad to hear, it really is.

3. neothespian

neothespian Member

Heh. That's been happening for years over here in parts of Phoenix, but it's only because we're getto like that.

I always use debit card at the pump. Just habit first off, and makes sense to be right where the gas is second.

4. Yup, locking gas caps really weren't that much of a big deal in the 80's/90's, not like they were during the 70's in the gas shortage days. Truckers use to have to fight off gas stealers all the time. I think that locking gas caps are going to become popular once again.

The one good thing is that today, most modern cars have gas filling necks that are resistant to siphon hoses.

5. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Any car or truck made after 1999 has a valve on the end of the filler pipe inside the tank to prevent fuel running out after a rollover if the car is upsidown. This also prevents a siphon hose from reaching into the tank more than a couple inches.

SW

6. masfonos

masfonos Member

Ohio

Including '99? Do you have any pictures of the mechanism? That kinda sucks because I was tossing around the idea of using my '99 Durango's 25gal tank along with the 5gal can in it for gas storage for my car. That'd be two fill-ups I could store. I like to buy as much as I can at a time since I have a Kroger card that gets me up to $0.50/gal off for up to 30 gals.

7. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

Yup, as the prices continue to sky rocket people are going to get desperate.

8. browwiw

browwiw Member

Wasn't there a documentary on Discovery channel recently that conjectured about how crazy people will get in the near future after the oil dries up? My brother's girlfriend was telling me about it because I follow that stuff, but I haven't been able to find any info on said documentary.

9. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

"Fossil fuel Madness" is the name, ;) Kinda reminds me of "Reefer Madness"

10. neothespian

neothespian Member

There actually have been reports out of California of some people DRILLING into the tanks of SUV's and Pickups to tap their fuel, probably because of their higher clearance. Of course this is bound to backfire, quite litterally, on someone sooner or later.

$10 for a locking gas cap is simple and cheap insurance. I'm doubly lucky because both of my machines have extra features: The gascap AND the gas port door both lock on my Tracker, and the Vespa's gas port is underneath the saddle, and you need the ignition to trip the servo to release the seat.

11. This give me a new reason for not liking prepaying for gas. I was like Neothespian and and began to debit card more until a few gas staions around here went to a cash or there credit card price and a twenty cent price increase for anything else inculding debit cards. Crazy aint it?

12. I was telling my brother about this thread, and he was a OTR trucker for 15 years before injury took him off of the road for good.

He was telling me about truck drivers stealing from each other at the pumps. Your on one side fueling, and the guy next to you has your other hose (most semis have tanks on both sides, so the pumps have fuel nozzles on both sides per truck) in his truck taking your fuel.

Its a hell of a world, it really is.

13. elguapo

elguapo Guest

On top of all this, there has been devices that have been emplaced on the gas island pumps, over the Card reader, which actually READ your card when you insert it.

14. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

+1, As i have raised T-Total hell at a Shell gas station on this issue. Their gas is prepay or pay at pump, and I was wanting to fill-it-up (being on E). No problem, I see that they actually let the debit cards pay at the pump and get the cash price (common around here at larger stations) and I proceeded to insert, and quickly remove my card... when i was asked to enter my pin, I did, and it said "please see attendant"... a big "hmmm" went through my mind as i walked inside... i was told to select credit, and it will let me use my debit card. I said "Great, so when I'm done I can bring my reciept inside and you will credit my debit card .20 cents on the gallon difference in cash/debit vs credit price?" a firm "No, we can't do that unless you give me your pin number." I told the man that he was full of shat, and what he was doing was against the business ethics of Greenville City, Greenville County, and the state of SC. He proceded to pop off at the mouth about how it's company policy and not his problem. I told him it would be his problem when I file a complaint with the BBB and will report him to News Channel 7 (shooterz knows all about how us SCarolinians get stuff handled through News Channel 7's "On your side") for the smoke and mirror tactics they were using. He then asked "What smoke and mirrors?" and I told him of him denying my debit card use at the pump (which works at any pump that has the "debit or credit" options on it, which his pumps had). He told me that I was being ridiculous, so I thougt for a second and decided to show him what "ridiculous" was...
    I told him to listen up and get the phallis out of his ear, and proceded to accuse him of fornicating with one of his family members (his own mother), questioned his orientation, ordered him to report to Hades. and gave him the 1 finger salute on the way out while suggesting that he practice intercourse with himself. I tried to be nice at first, but he wouldn't let that happen... I love America... and the best part? Nobody was there except for him and I. So disturbing the peace or public disorderly was going to be hard to get the cops out there quick enough to catch me in the act. So it was off of the table as far as I and the law were concerned. I went 5 miles down the road to a "Kangaroo" and filled her up, on a debit card, for the cash price, and told the attendant there what the crook up the road was doing. He gave me all of the info I needed to file my claim with City of Greenville's BBB.

That's Justice ! I LOVE AMERICA !

15. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

^ :lol: :lol: :lol: Go get em Tiger!!! +1 on 7

16. neothespian

neothespian Member

Shell's been pulling that denial of debit card thing here in Phoenix too. I tried to fill up at work, and it wouldn't accept my card. In a frantic rush of worry that I overdrafted, I checked my balance and it turns out I was ok. I checked with the attendant and he said "Oh, we're not accepting debit card purchases, only credit." He didn't give any need for a PIN number or any of that, just flat out refused to accept my card :evil:

17. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

I had a 2gal can in the back of my truck for years that i'd use to fill mowers and other small equip. few months ago someone cut the rope that was loosely tied to keep it from sliding around and took my gas can.

It's not like someone walking by saw the can and just decided on the spot to 'borrow' it. My truck bed is about 4-6" taller than most and nearly impossible to see inside of even when walking by, unless you peek over the rail and see whats inside. Most likely someone was walking a parking lot looking for easy pickings.

Ive been thinking about filling another 2gal up w/ gas/sugar and leaving it in my bed for any takers.

18. condition1

condition1 Member

do it. would be worth it. just don't get the wrong can for your own use.

19. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

That was my favorite gas can too :(
    I had written "Crunk Juice" on the side in Sharpie.

[​IMG]

20. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

:lol: sugar in gas isn't as bad as hollywood makes it out to be, but an E85/smokeless gun powder/pure acetone mix... about 10 tablespoons of powder, and 24oz of pure acetone... top off the 2 gallon tank with E85... then write "Crunk Juice II" on the side of it... and place in your bed... Whoever steals it, will wish they never stole it... I promise. :twisted: