Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just two brand new classic 995's at a gun shop for $189.00 each. This compares to a Hipoint .45ACP for $179.00 in the same store.

I bought a classic about three months ago for $220 before tax.

A friend recently bought a Tactical for $278.00 including tax.

Anyone think getting the classic is a good idea?

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
AFAIK, dealer cost went up earlier this year on the "Classic" 995, so days of the $169.99 gun are gone. Cheapest I've seen at the dealers that used to have 'em for $169.99 is $189.99.

IMHO, the TS is a completely different weapon then the Classic and needs to be appreciated differently. I would consider the Classic as a trunk gun or hide-behind-the-door gun, but the TS I respect :)

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
[/quote]

Getting any Hi-Point is never a bad idea :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
The tactical model is indeed a different animal.

As far as the classic goes, it's hard to ignore as a good plinker and as a backup home defense weapon. I recently switched to a 12ga as a cure for monkey business, but keep a classic loaded with JHP just in case.

Regardless of what you use it for the classic carbine is a fine range and varmint gun, and a plinker that mixes affordability with authority.

They're already more than your price where I live, but most come with all the jankity fixin's, which, in my opinion, you don't need.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just two brand new classic 995's at a gun shop for $189.00 each. This compares to a Hipoint .45ACP for $179.00 in the same store.

I bought a classic about three months ago for $220 before tax.

A friend recently bought a Tactical for $278.00 including tax.

The TS is just the new hype so to speak, it's new and everyone will buy one just because it is new. The main differance between the two is the stock of course and the last round lock open "last round" feature. I paid $271 OTD for my TS that I picked up yesterday at my local dealer. I didn't have a highpoint carbine and when I decided to go check them out the new model was already out. And it will eventually be the only model you can purchase once the the classic is phased out. The choice of buying a classic is up to you really in the end, but I would rather buy the TS over the classic.

Pro's of buying the classic: saves you some money

Con's of buying the classic: generic looking stock, no lock open last round feature

They are basically the same gun generally, the TS added a new feature and a new stock but imo makes it a whole new appealing to the market's eyes plinker.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is a few more differences in the 995TS. I also agree that the new 995TS is a different animal and this why:

*Bolt hold open
*Nicer looking, comfortable & more rigid stock
*Barrel on the 995TS can be free floated very easily for better accuracy
*Rails for mounting accessories
*Longer top rail for more optic mounting choices and it's now possible to have a red dot sight co-witness with the factory sights
*Nicer recoil pad design
*More places to attach a sling

The only way I would buy a classic 995 is if I wanted to install a ATI stock on it.

GC

·
Registered
247 Posts
Supply and demand. Some folks are selling their old 995, others that were considering the old 995 won't buy it now because of the new one.
I intend to keep my 995. I will admit to having the urge to buy a 995TS and get $300 worth of tacticool scope, laser, grip, and tac light stuff on it just for shats & giggles.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am going to buy either the 995 or the 4095. I am really thinking I like the classic look better. Of course around here no one has the 4095. Does it come in the new model? I would have to order the 4095 either way. MAX100 what is the difference with the bolt? I'm not sure I know what you mean by bolt hold open.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm not sure I know what you mean by bolt hold open.
The bolt on the original 995 doesn't stay open after you have fired your last shot. The 995 TS has the bolt hold open feature common to most semi-autos. The bolt stays locked to the rear after your final shot. Convenient for quicker reloads, and you don't have to count shots or go bang, bang, bang , CLICK. :)

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
to me the classic and the ts are two totally diferent guns my two old classics are nice but the action feels diferent on the ts . i still would buy a classic because i own two already and know that they are a great gun to shoot and to have for home defence

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great bargains abound if you're willing to forgo all the tacticool accessories.

I picked up my 995 classic for $90 with a 15 round mag (Which kind of sucks, factory mags FTW), and my buddy got one for $50.

That's unheard of if you're talking about a TS version.

I suppose if you want your rails and such... just get an AR 8)

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Great bargains abound if you're willing to forgo all the tacticool accessories.

I picked up my 995 classic for $90 with a 15 round mag (Which kind of sucks, factory mags FTW), and my buddy got one for $50.

That's unheard of if you're talking about a TS version.

I suppose if you want your rails and such... just get an AR 8)
So what is wrong with those 995's? Are they missing serials or something lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts