Primary Arms scope broke on me...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Branth, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Branth

Branth Member

Well, the Primary Arms 1-6X scope I put on my AR-10 gave up the ghost recently. It's been acting weird for quite a while, but just today I had pretty solid proof that it was way off - I'm no Carlos Hathcock, but I was shooting WAY better than the 6-7 MOA my rifle was giving me. My mount was solid, and my ammo was crazy consistent (My 10-shot SD was in single digits, which hardly ever happens).

I've called PA, and they sent me an RMA. I'm sending it in, and I'm hoping they'll repair or replace it, or I just blew $270. It's been a good scope so far, and I'm hoping this is just a fluke.

Fingers crossed. I spent all summer dialing in some ammo to match the BDC, and I really don't want the 200 rounds of premium quality ammo to go to waste.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  2. 45Man

45Man Member

PA has a good reputation. Let us know the outcome.
    1-6x on an AR-10? I would think, it's not much use past 100yds.

3. Branth

Branth Member

At 6x, I was fairly consistently getting hits on a plate that was perhaps 8 inches at 600 yards.

Personally, I do fairly well with low magnification optics. I feel like higher magnification doesn't really make me much more accurate, but merely makes me see more wobble in my aiming and fuss my shot more. I'd probably shoot somewhat better with a 10x scope, but I'd be way slower up close.

I built the AR10 to be a light-ish jack of all trades rifle that can handle most anything out to about 4-500 yards. I could score hits on a man-sized target at 8 if I had a solid rest, but that's pushing my capabilities.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  4. 45Man

45Man Member

Same here with AR15. I just can't see an 8" target at 300 yds, my range's max. I went from a 3-9x40 to 4-16x40 & accuracy didn't improve, but could see the little .223 holes without a spotting scope. For 50yds, I use irons or red dot.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    subbing for outcome ;)

6. peorth

peorth Member

I am planning to purchase a PA scope next year for 308 bolt. Please let us know the outcome of your RMA.

7. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I use a 3-9x40 scope, popped a prairie dog at 550 yards...

8. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Won't the scope be all zeroed out when you get it or a replacement back?

9. Branth

Branth Member

Yeah, I'll have to re-zero it, but that's not a big deal. The ammo development was what took so long.

10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

One of our snipers (Marine) was complaining all summer that someone was messing with his scope. Finally took it off the rifle and placed it on a mirror. Sure enough two sets of cross hairs. Dailed them into one set remounted it bore sited it and bam he is back to killing paper. That scope hasn't been touched in ten years other than by a sniper he is the 3rd one to have that rifle. I don't mess around with scopes to much but call Leopold and they said try that first if it didn't work send it in. I have a few at home I will be trying it on.

11. Branth

Branth Member

How does that work? How did you test it, and how do you dial it in?

12. moona11

It ridiculously easy. Place a mirror on a table. Place scope face down on mirror. Look in scope. If you see 2 sets of cross hairs your scope is out of alignment. Turn knobs till cross hairs become one in the center. It's kind of a pain if you wear glasses but it works. Leopold rep said to do it every year since snipers are always adjusting their scopes. Hell I had know idea.

13. Branth

Branth Member

Oh, to return it to zero?

14. moona11

Yea that's it

15. Branth

Branth Member

Never would have thought of that. Thanks for the tip!

16. moona11

Its stupid easy wished I would of called years ago. Plus side I will make it a training issue and see if I can go to some out of state training.

17. Branth

Branth Member

Update: PA sent me a new scope, and I got it re-mounted and took it out today. Second and third shots out of it were touching at the 50 yard line, so I took it out to the 200 and got it dialed in. I put 10 shots through it, and they were all within the black 8-inch circle except for one that was about 1/2" outside of it. Not my best shooting ever, but not too bad.

Props to PA for their good customer service!

Attached Files:

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    They have used 10X as the standard US sniper scope for years, and still do; and 4X is considered to be just right for 100 yards by many.

Of course, paper or steel target scope requirements are very different from real live target requirements; if the target is able to move, you don't want to get zoomed in too far, as you won't be able to keep the target in the scope.

I've got a 4-16X scope that allows me to see .22 holes at 100 yards...but if I try to find and follow a pot gut with it, it's very difficult to use, unless I back it out to a lower magnification.

19. 45Man

45Man Member

4X was the original AR15/M16 scope for the fixed carry handle.

I also have a 4-16x scope, just to be able to see the .22 holes.