Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK heres the problem, I bought a box of Remington 5 1/2 primers. THe box and remington site just list them as "Small Pistol Primers" but the Hornady manual lists them a "Small Pistol Magnum"
What are they? I just want to reload some freaking 9mm!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
They are most definitely magnum small pistol primers. When using magnum primers in place of regular primers you must cut back on the standard powder charge by 10% as a good starting point.

For example if the starting load data calls for X grains of powder as the starting load with small pistol primers use only 90% of that recommended X grains amount to begin with and then work your way up from there to develope a safe load.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crap! since I am just starting I really don't know that I want to start tweaking on my first batch of reloads.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I certainly understand your reluctance for "going off label" right out of the gate but if you just follow the recipe you'll be ok. The load data your using should give a suggested low to max powder load range. If you load up a few at 10% below the minimum suggested it will be ok. And if your satisfied you can stay there, if not then slowly work your way up.

I do understand though. I still remember the "pucker factor" the 1st time I pulled the trigger on my 1st reloads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts