Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lee hand primer and it put some in the wrong way i would like to know if anyone knows a way to get them out with out hitting them with something point and sharp and. Without getting hurt in the posses someone was telling me to put them in water for about a hour does that sound right to anybody.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
They are in the case upside down? Spray with WD40 on the exposed anvil side and let sit overnite to kill the primers, then deprime normally. Clean all WD40 off the cases.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Oil won't always kill the primer. use caution here. If you're using a hand primer do you have a bench mounted press? You can use the standard decapping stroke just go nice and slow, primers go off in response to shrp blow after all.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
ive done this a few times while priming while i watch tv :) i just thro them in lee press and slowly push them out them turn them around and put them back in right way :) i wear glasses just incase tho

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
As hard as primers are to find around here, I do the same thing. As long as the primer cup isn't crushed too bad, I reuse it.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
the problem with reuse is the primer has already swaged itself to the pocket and isnt the smae size as when it was new. its a thousandanth or two smaller. that can create problems.

SW

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Very helpful thread for me for 2 reasons. 1st is that it is very informative. 2nd is that it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one out here that does these sort of things. I haven't done it yet but time isn't on my side.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
SW, I've done this a few times in the past and I've never had an issue with a primer bulging or trying to slip out of the primer pocket. If you know that there are any other concerns that I should be aware of, please post them.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
what im looking at is the primer has already been "disturbed" bu pressing it into the pocket. pressing it back out and back in agian could alter the anvil placement in teh cup, could have made some of the primer compound loose in the cup or a dozen other things. if youre just running bottom level target loads its proably not a big deal. i run my loads pretty hot (in sime cases over book specs) and any alteration in any compnonet can change things drastically. i figured for the nickle or dime that primer cost its not worth it.

SW

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
I haven't gotten to the same level of experience you have in reloading, as I am still tinkering with loads that work well let alone over book specs. Once I start loading match grade quality ammo, then I can understand why that would be important.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
I haven't gotten to the same level of experience you have in reloading, as I am still tinkering with loads that work well let alone over book specs. Once I start loading match grade quality ammo, then I can understand why that would be important.
you'll get there. ive been reloading saince my early teens, and most of this hobby is about expierence when you start tinkering and changing things outside of what the books tell you to.

SW

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Make sure to use safety glasses if pushing primers out. I don't re use as it isn't worth wrecking your gun for the cost of a saved primer. A reused primer may produce a squib load and lodge a bullet in your barrel. The next bullet down the barrel can bulge the barrel or worse. Not a good idea. It can ruin your day. -D

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
what im looking at is the primer has already been "disturbed" bu pressing it into the pocket. pressing it back out and back in agian could alter the anvil placement in teh cup, could have made some of the primer compound loose in the cup or a dozen other things. if youre just running bottom level target loads its proably not a big deal. i run my loads pretty hot (in sime cases over book specs) and any alteration in any compnonet can change things drastically. i figured for the nickle or dime that primer cost its not worth it.

SW
Probably closer to 2 and a half cents and I agree with SW 100% on this.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
IIRC he was resizing them with the punch he used to tap out the firing pin dent.

SW
I'm not sure if that really resizes them. I'm going to have to seat some spent primers to see if they go in with the same force. Of coarse i'm not really looking to put together any match grade loads, with my reloaded primers.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
How about primers that are not completely seated? The primer protrudes from the head by about half the depth of the primer.
Can I just run these back through the priming station of the press (obviously, without new primers in the feeder)?

Thanx to everyone for the information about the flipped primers, I had a couple do that too.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
yes you can, but I use a simple trick from "Delmar". Finish seating them with a small C-clamp if you have one.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts