Printing guns - next generation

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SWAGA, Oct 7, 2014.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's not 3D Printing, it's CNC milling and I like the idea much better.

The cost is about the same as a high-end home/consumer grade 3D Printer but you can mill aluminum 80%-ers, which I think is way better.

I looked at it yesterday with a friend and, besides being waaay sold out, seemed like the kind of thing a group of 10-20 "friends" could go in on and churn out 3-4 receivers (for personal use only, natch) and get a good return on investment.

Other than that, you're just paying a whole bunch for the illusion that your AR receiver is going to somehow be off the FedGov radar.

It's impressive for what it is; a home CNC Machine that's super simple. I'd like it if it could mill steel and could finish out 80% 1911 frames as well (or any other reasonable design).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

3. SWAGA

I know it's CNC milling you party pooper hence the 'next gen' in the title ;)
    10 friends 4 guns? How's that work?
    I don't have 10 friends to begin with lol :(

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The first ones were $1,000. The next ones are supposed to be $1,500. How many 80% lowers would you have to buy at $70 - $150 each before you'd get any sort of ROI?

$1,500 is a lotta cash if you're only gonna make 1-3. Just not financially reasonable. Who is, honestly, going to mill out 50 of lowers for their own personal use? The only thing that makes sense is to do a group-buy.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

$1500 plus the 80% aluminum lower plus the lower parts kit plus your time plus an upper.... I can legally buy an AR-15 face to face with no record of the sale for a lot less... ;)

6. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Become a republican...... :p

7. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

That may be the best reply of the year!!

8. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I see a lot of potential in one of these machines in the hands of an industrious person (like myself).

The Tormach 1100 mentioned in the article is about $9,000. That's with no tooling.

9. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I CC. That phrase means something entirely different to me.

10. SWAGA

There....corrected that for you :p

11. I envision work shops at your LGS
    or 80%AR classes
    where they buy 5 or 6. and have people come in with there own 80% lower and teach them how to finish them.

12. Maybe I am mistaken but is not this new CNC capable of milling from stock, no need for 80% lower.

Considering the raid of a shop that sold 80% lowers because they would not release their records indicates buying a 80% will not be off the grid. Just bypass background check.

For me, I might as well buy a completed lower if I wanted one. They are not that expensive, I have seen complete lowers with collapsible stock/buffer tube for under $200.

13. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

I'm tempted to get one

just to see what can be done with it. From what I understand, there will be open source files that would allow you to compete other designs in the future(i.e. Ruger 10/22 or 1911).:cool:

14. If a person was going to build a collection it would be worth it. It should be able to mill guns no longer in production. Replace broken parts to restore parts guns.

15. If it can be open sourced. I cant imagine the possibillities.

Put it this way. IF i could buy a CNC for 2,000 and get programs off the net.
    put a piece of steel in and turn it into a 1911 frame, AR lower, spare parts etc. it would be amazing. a true liberator.

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

In aluminum.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's designed specifically to work with aluminum.

Milling steel is a whole different ball game.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. Is there a reason guns cannot be made out of aluminum? other than chambers and barrels?

19. Drinva

Drinva meandmy45 Member

VA
    No.........

20. If it can't mill both IMO it is not worth it. How many AR's does one person need? And they can't be sold legally, not that they are not sold illegally. I am sure some are.

Computer controlled milling machines are not new, though most are very large. I had a chance to buy a used one ten years ago for five grand. Kinda kicking myself for not buying it.