Problem chambering a round - 9mm carbine

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by GeeBob, Mar 9, 2016.

1. GeeBob

GeeBob Member

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if there is a problem with the mag or the rifle. I insert a loaded factory mag and pull back the charging handle, then release it and let it slide forward but a round does not chamber. Any thoughts?

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

What feed failure are you having? Is it smoke-stacking? Jamming nose-on on the feed ramp? Jamming partially into the chamber? Something else?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. After loading your mag, try seating the rounds by rapping the back of your mag with the palm of your hand. Then make sure the mag is inserted into the rifle all the way till it clicks. And once you do get it to load, DO NOT cycle live rounds through your carbine. The firing pin is part of the ejection system and could possibly set off a live round when cycling. Hope that helps

4. CILhunter

CILhunter Member

I had that happen once or twice, and it turned out I was not seating the mag firmly enough - allowed the bolt to kind of glide over the top without stripping the top round off the mag.

5. Are you pulling the charging handle all the way back? That was one problem I encountered early in my life as a Hi-Point owner. :)

6. GeeBob

GeeBob Member

7. GeeBob

GeeBob Member

Thanks to all who responded. Still no joy.
    Could the problem be caused by over tightening the operating handle?

8. GeeBob

GeeBob Member

My understanding is to unload when there is a round in the chamber you remove the mag and pull the charging handle back to eject the round in the chamber. Is doing that considered cycling?

9. foxytwo

foxytwo Member

After I obtained my 995st I had the same problem, I was not pulling the operating handle handle back far enough after loading a fresh mag, the bolt was held back by the last empty mag. After this I have not had a problem with it.

10. GeeBob

GeeBob Member

I think that's the problem. I'm using quite a bit of force when I try to pull back the handle, but it feels like something is preventing it from going back far enough.

11. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

It takes a little extra "oomph" to get it that last little bit back, but it becomes easier with use.

12. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

Not sure if that is possible,, but I guess it could be.. The charging handle should spin freely on the bolt.. Is it possible that you may have the charging handle on the wrong way,, making it hard to pull back,, its happened before..

13. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Did you install the charging handle on the left or the right? DAMHIK!:eek:

14. GeeBob

GeeBob Member

On the left. I was not aware of an option to install it on the right.

15. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Slam the bolt handle back and let it go.
    Don't worry.
    You're not going to break it

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  16. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

But is that handle knob on upside down? I originally put mine on upside down. Look close at the pics in the instructions to be certain.

17. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    YES!!!

I have one that only works finger tight.