Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well a couple of weeks ago I posted that my slide failed to lock back after the last round fired. I recieved a new mag that I ordered, and with the new mag I have had no locking failures. The pictured mag is the old one that I have been having problems with. As you can see the follower leaves the mag completely passing the slide lock. This time it was very difficult to remove the mag. If any one else has locking problems, maybe this could be a reason why. I am going to send the faulty mag in on Monday for replacement.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Is that a C9 mag? My follower looks totally different than that. Do they vary from date of manufacture?

·
Registered
222 Posts
panoz77- Thanks. That's what I was wondering. Mine looks like the mag on top left. I almost thought of switching the follower with a straight one from another mag just to see if it would prevent any future FTF. I am always trying to improve or perfect the guns I have. It's sort of my hobby to fix things that aren't necessarily broken. Any thoughts on making that switch?

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
It might do the trick, the one on the left is a 10 rounder for my 995, but it also works fine in my C9 comp, not sure if the stepped follower or the straight one is the newer design, I would have to guess that the straight follower would appear to me to make more sense.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Here are some additional pics of mags and the feed lip and follower combos

From left to right:

#1 Promag 15 rounder - Stepped follower and the front feed lip is slightly elongated
#2 and #3 HiPoint 10 rounders for the 995 - Stepped follower
#4 HiPoint 10 rounder for the 995 - Smooth follower
#5 HiPoint 10 rounder for the C9 - Smooth follower
#6 HiPoint 10 rounder for the C9 - Stepped follower

Notice on #5 and #6 the plastic extension is a slightly different design, #5 seems to fit my C9 comp a little better

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The follower in my faulty mag had a fold in it. The follower is not flat. The new one that I bought last week from HP also has a fold in the follower. I didn't know some of them have had straight followers.

And yes it is a C9 mag.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Anyone know how to take the keeper off the bottom? I would like to disassemble and buff out the inside. I did that on my Titan and it fixed 95% of the problems with that thing.

·
Registered
586 Posts
hm, my two .40 mags have orange plastic followers, should I see about getting them sent in and replaced? that might solve some of my problems if these new mags are out.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The mags for the .40 and .45 are not the same design as for the C9 or 995, the orange follower is normal for the .40.
ah. alright.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It might do the trick, the one on the left is a 10 rounder for my 995, but it also works fine in my C9 comp, not sure if the stepped follower or the straight one is the newer design, I would have to guess that the straight follower would appear to me to make more sense.
panoz77- wow that is a difference in styles across the board. Speaking of C9 Comps, how do you like yours? I talked to tech staff today and the lady told me that some people really don't like them and often aren't what they expected. I originally was trying to find one but haven't seen one locally.

The follower in my faulty mag had a fold in it. The follower is not flat. The new one that I bought last week from HP also has a fold in the follower. I didn't know some of them have had straight followers.

And yes it is a C9 mag.
javelina80- I think that the follower on the old Stallard I had may have been straight. I was kind of thinking more along the lines of cannibalizing a similar mag to get the follower that fits right and does what I want it to do. I would almost even take a plastic follower over the one I have. Maybe my opinion on that will change when it gets broken in all the way, or maybe I'm just strange like that.

Anyone know how to take the keeper off the bottom? I would like to disassemble and buff out the inside. I did that on my Titan and it fixed 95% of the problems with that thing.
I did that with mine. It helped a little. I think it could probably use a dremel tool or light steel wool ran through a couple of times still though. If it's an 8 round mag, just slide a small screw driver or pocket knife blade into the slot in the bottom of the mag, between the metal of the mag and the plastic of the stay. Then pry it gently outward and lift, it should come off fairly easily. I've had mine apart about five times getting it filed and adjusted the way I wanted it to perform. Just make sure you put the spring and followere back in facing the correct direction and you're good to go.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Get a really thin blade screwdriver and pull down on the end piece, then force the srewdriver between the magazine's side and the end piece and pry up. It will move down a hair then do the other side and she's off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
panoz77- I thought the added length looked nice and would be more close to the length I was used to with the revolver I just sold. I'm glad to hear something good about it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Get a really thin blade screwdriver and pull down on the end piece, then force the srewdriver between the magazine's side and the end piece and pry up. It will move down a hair then do the other side and she's off.
If you go downward from the top and pry up you can bend the thin metal which hinders the follower and spring from depressing into the mag. Be careful or you may have to fix it as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.