Problem with 9mm snap caps-STUCK!

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by carryartist, Feb 10, 2016.

1. carryartist

carryartist Member

Never had this happen on any gun when using snap caps....Cap is stuck in the barrel, very firm. Had a double feed, ejected the mag, locked the bolt back, and there it was. Any suggestions? Dowel rod? Complete disassembly?

2. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    I had a new.45 snapcap stick. Had to use a cleaning rod To knock it out. I contacted mfg and had a replacement sent me. Junk coming out of China? Bad quality control.

3. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Yup. I've had a 9mm snap cap get stuck in the chamber of a 9mm pistol. I also used a cleaning rod to knock it out. Because of that experience, I don't use snap caps very often.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Dowel, pencil, cheese stick...whatever will fit in there and push.:p

5. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

Once you get it out just some oil on the others will stop that.
    Plus like the man said some cheap junk is getting put out there no matter the name brand.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Is it plastic cased or metal cased?

The Tipton are all plastic, I don't like them even though they have the nice spring loaded "primer".

The A-Zoom is an aluminum cast in the shape of a case and bullet, while the ST Action ones are actual cases with plastic inserts as bullets, which I prefer. Both use a polyurethane primer.

7. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Al, now I know what to order.

8. carryartist

carryartist Member

I believe these are A-Zoom. Thanks for the info, y'all.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Could be just worn out? Once you get it out, check the diameter of the lip where the case mouth would be, it might have been crushed some by the jam. If so, it might not work well anymore.

But really, even if it IS a bit small, 99.9% of the time the gun will hold the round with the extractor, so it "shouldn't" be an issue...until you get a repeat of this episode.;)

BTW...I totally missed this was a carbine.:eek:

Cleaning rod with a jag on the end for the win. Don't just stick the empty threaded end in there, my SIL ruined one of my rods that way, pushing out a squib.:rolleyes:

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Don't be a "cheese d!ck" Ajolé :rofl:

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I've got a brass rod from the hardware store that will fit down anything larger than a .22 bore. I should really buy a 2nd (or more) and keep them in my range kit. :eek:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Mine was brand new out of the package. One of five A-Zoom (Pachmayr/Lyman)
    Sticks in chamber. I tried it in a Lyman 'pistol max cartridge guage' too. If I tapped the rear of guage against a flat surface the cap would stick and require something to get it out. The other four didn't matter what I did they would drop free. Phone call to Pachmayr (800-423-9704) got me a replacement without any trouble. Makes me think I wasn't the first to call about it.

13. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I snagged a half-dozen pencils from my kid's school supplies. Removed the metal part holding the eraser. Stack for anything longer than a pistol barrel.

14. carryartist

carryartist Member

Finally got it out. I used a dowel rod and a hammer. Slow and steady, because the dowel kept getting mashed at the point of contact. I had to keep checking the end to make sure it wasn't too flattened to come out of the barrel without wedging or dragging. Then trim it off if it was getting too flattened. That sucker was in there. The rim of the snap cap is bent forward-easy to see. Looks like I'm only using ST Action or something similar from now on.
    Any one have experience with the nickel cased type? I saw some on ebay, thought I might try those. too. I also saw some that were solid brass. That might be a useful feature if I ever have to do this again. Banging on the rubber or plastic "bullet" tip doesn't sound like a very effective way to dislodge a stuck cap. However, the solid metal ones look a lot like real rounds.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Mine are the brass cased models, in 9mm, .40 and .45. Never had a single issue.

I've wondered if they were solid plastic clear to the base of the case, or if there is hollow space inside, but never had the need to find out.;)

Edited...I checked online and they have a bit that goes clear to the base, so they won't seat any deeper. One guy whined and complained they fell apart, but some glue would fix that in 5 minutes, so he's an asshat.:rolleyes:

16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    ...something I need more of...

SNAPPERS!!!

17. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    The A-Zoom appear to be all metal except for the fake primer. I never had a problem until this last batch of 45. I have some 9mm plastic pacnmayr that cracked near where the brass base is attached. I don't think glue will work on mine. going to be a lot of force to get the base back in. Maybe that new UV welder on the commercials would work? :rolleyes: Anyone have any experience with that stuff?

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If you reload, you can make your own, just put hot glue or silicone into the primer pocket, fill the case with something like hot glue or silicone, or even JB Weld, to add weight and stop any set back, then load a bullet into the case.

Mark as desired to show it's not a live round. About as cheap as it gets, and you can do it with various bullet profiles if you have them.;)

Here's a pic of the ST Action caps in exploded mode.

[​IMG]

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It was recommended to me to drill a few hols in the case.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk