problem with sear

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by h2ogunr, Apr 17, 2015.

1. h2ogunr

h2ogunr Member

what direction does the notch face on the sear?

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

The flat face goes to the rear. It won't catch if you turn it around.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Wanna have some fun? Put it back together with it in backwards (retaining pin too). Rack it. Now figure out how to get it apart again.

4. bluharley

bluharley Member

I did something similar with my Kahr. Had to pay a gunsmith to get it going again.:wah:

5. cicpup

Vermont
    This one won't cost you. If you can't figure it out I'll tell you how.

6. bluharley

bluharley Member

Thanks, but I'll pass on that experiment!

7. cicpup

Vermont
    Wimp. I've done it intentionally. That way I can accurately tell a newbie how to salvage his screw up.

8. what_now

what_now Member

I did that with my first C9. Stripped it down to polish the feed ramp. When I pulled the slide the sear and spring went flying across the garage. Found the sear right away but I didn't find the spring until about an hour later. Finished polishing the feed ramp, put every thing back together, and locked down. Tried racking the slide and it wouldn't go back all the way. After cussing profusely and trying a couple more times I finally pulled the trigger and the slide went back. Popped the pin out and pulled the slide off and saw I had the sear backwards.

9. cicpup

Vermont
    You got lucky. That doesn't usually work.

10. bluharley

bluharley Member

I learned that lesson on my Cobra 32, it was very forgiving. The Kahr is a different thing, but I ended up with the same kind of problem.

11. h2ogunr

h2ogunr Member

i thought that was right but i wanted to ask first. so any who nothing trip write up worthy took it out and shot it went well enough. i took it apart to texture paint the grips. the grips are drying right now.

pretty sure the mag safety has to go into the round file.

12. cicpup

Vermont
    *** DO NOT DO THAT ***

That is a terrible idea. Toss it in the parts box. You'll need to put it back in if you ever need to send it to Hi-Point.