Problem with username simiarity

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Silicon Wolverine, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

OK guys i ahve a "identity crisis" problem. there is another user on the net that is going by the username "SWOLVERINE" and is posting on a few of the same forums i frequent with lets just say "deviant" things and some of it is being attributed to me because of the username similarity.

I have already handled some of it with the mods of the forums (user was banned from most of them anyway) but bleedover is still happening and ive gotten some nasty PMs from people including outright hate mail and one disturbing message that involved my butt and barbed wire.

Is there any way to stop this kind crap from happening or is it just the way the internet works? Id hate to have to change my net handle becuase some perv thinks its funny to post garbage and attribute it to me.

SW

2. As far as I know Wolverine, its pretty well the way of the net and you have to deal with it as it happens. Its sad that it happens, but it does. Its sad that people will attribute something to you when the names are not exact, but I guess thats the way of the world.

A good example is our new member NRAJOE. THere is another person with that username in another forum that has a LOT of posts, and is very anti Hi Point. Do I wonder if this is the same person and for whatever reason he has changed his mind? Yes. On the internet, you can never tell.

(Hope you dont mind me bringing your name up Joe)

3. its a sad reality of the internet and can be a real PITA for decent folks.

4. Have some fun with them. Post what they PM you on open threads and ask them if it is really appropriate to say that to anyone, much less someone who only has a similar log-in to the one they are angry with.

Or, just be the better man and ignore it. If it becomes a problem, PM the mods/admins and let them handle it; it's what they get the big bucks for.

5. pills

pills Guest

I have been rejected on some forums because people like to peddle ED drugs....

6. Silicon Wolverine

Kinda as i figured. We'll see how it plays out.

SW

7. I webmaster a homemade site for a friend, its called www.bigdaddyspeed.com . We get some interesting comments occasionally until they see what the site is about. People can be funny.

8. Yeah, like there's this doofus on this board named Loopster, who is always saying stpuid things that get attributed to me ...oh, wait....that is me.

Cheer up, man. Your (login) name is good here. There are ignorant people everywhere. ;)

9. You are an interesting one loopster, that is for sure. Don't think anyone could impersonate you without driving themselves nuts.

I do agree that you should edit some of those PMs and post them, if nothing else, post them here for us all to enjoy.

10. Silicon Wolverine

Ill see if any of them still exist. Some of them arent fit to post on a bathroom wall let alone a public message board.

SW

11. lol, then PM them to me, sounds too funny!

12. Silicon Wolverine

Some of them are, some arent. Some are downright distubing. PM sent.

SW

13. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Com'on... I want to see some of the fan...grr... i mean hate mail.

14. There are some after being filtered for vulgarity.

15. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    Come on SW, what are you doing on the mall ninja and 12 year old internet tough guy forums? :D
    I'm with NDS and Taurus, post those PM on their respective forums with a rebuttal explaining the situation, and/or contact the mods and try to work out a solution.

16. Yeah, I would take that crap either. Let the mods know what you think.

17. Silicon Wolverine

i wont tell exactly which forum but one is dedicated to medival weapon recreations, one is for electronic techs and one is for automotive. most of these have been handled but im still working on some as one of the mods was sending the nasty pms.

SW

18. A MOD SENT THAT! Wow, I thought we had low expectations by making Primal an Admin, but they have serious problems.

19. :roll:

Thanks Taurus.... :wink:

20. Silicon Wolverine

With freinds like that, who needs enemies? j/k

SW