Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weird question, the other day I was getting ready to hit the range and was swapping out my SD ammo in my mags for the range stuff, when I noticed one of the rounds (.40s/w Speer HP) was set-back slightly lower into the casing than the others....it was minimal but when stood next to another round you could def. tell their was a height difference. As well there was a little "buldge" ( :wink: ) about half way down the casing...I may be a little over cautious but is this round a Kaboom waiting to happen? Is it safe to shoot? Also do you guys shoot your SD/HD ammo often and get new stuff?

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
It could cause a spike in chamber pressures, but if it was in a Hi-Point .40, i wouldn't think twice about popping it off. If it were to be fired in a Glock, I wouldn't shoot it through the Glock.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I see this happen from time to time in almost all of my weapons. When you chamber and unchamber the same a lot, the bullet gets pushed back into the case a little bit. I never use those rounds on the off chance that something bad could/would happen to me.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
.40 is right on the line for max pressure as it is, no sense risking it. in a 9mm you can get away with some setback and still be fine but its not worth it in most cases.

SW

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Two things.
1) Never use a questionable round.

2) .40 rounds are at times a poor choice to reload, the cases get very tiny cracks in them pretty often. I'm not saying don't reload them, I'm saying you won't get alot of use from the brass and inspect it with extra special care.
The tiny cracks in the cases are a known issue with the .40.

G

·
Were these handloads? If the cartridge didn't not get a taper crimp for the final reloading step, this can happen. I used to have this happen back in the 1970's, before I had a taper crimp die.

G

·
Bullet setback is from administrative handling is a big deal for LEOs, many of whom have to clear their weapon everyday (or several times). Some believe that this is a major factor in the high number of .40 kb! incidents among cops. They are already running at such high pressures, moving the bullet back even the tiniest bit can greatly increase pressures (I read one article that said a 1/8" setback (which is quite a lot) would double the chamber pressure in a .40, but don't know the BS level for that). Regardless of the real numbers, it is obviously bad mojo.

I seem to recall there was a discussion of this before (possibly old forum), and there was a consensus that you should rotate the ammo in your mags regularly to make sure you weren't chambering the same round over and over again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts