Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Prom Gowns?????

3K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  citori59 
#1 ·
I know I have complained about the cost of things that I didn't were expensive and I do apologize. That is not, however, going to stop me. My :blink: today is freaking prom gowns. My little girl and her mother have been going to dress shops and shopping on-line for a gown for here senior prom. These one time wear dresses are priced from 400.00 to 800.00!!!!! I guess I should have expected that but good lord!!!

#2 ·
Heh.... believe it or not you're getting off cheap.

A friend of mine at the Alternative arts theater I work at just shelled out $2,500 for one!!!! :blink:

I myself don't get it, considering that Proms seem to be so getto compared to what they were viewed as 50 years ago. Just no class anymore.

#3 ·
Prom: All the boys have to be dressed alike; if 2 girls show up in the same dress, they will become mortal enemies and possibly throw hands.

And Avril Levigne said boys are 'complicated'

#7 ·
As ghetto as it may seem... hit up Goodwill. No joke. You can only wear a prom dress like once.. maybe twice if you hit up two proms. And then what? They get tossed, given away.. and the ones I've seen at the Goodwill near me are almost always still in fashion.

#10 ·
I now a guy that was getting married and wife to be showed him the bridesmaids dresses that she wanted.
It was not he could not afford the as he was an oilrig engineer so he made good money but he is CHEEP.
So he went out bought the patterns for the dresses, the materiel, all of the notions {buttons, lace and what nots} and a new sewing machine. When he got home he sat down and taught himself how to sew and made the bridesmaids dresses himself. After he figured if a woman could do it an engineer should be able to. For what it coast him to make all three dresses it would not have equaled one ready made one and the included buying a new sewing machine. Maybe you need to learn how to sew save some money, make some extra scratch making dresses for all of your little girl’s friends and learn a new postSHTF skill.

Or you could just say “Yes dear”

#11 ·
Prices that women pay is one of my biggest gripes too. Hair cuts 40 bucks for a woman a mans is 10 bucks. O and lets not forget the tip. Blouse 50 bucks, a mans shirt 20 bucks. Lets not forget all the overpriced makeup and special lotions. My wife has a cupboard full of hair conditioners that beauty shops said was a must have at 20 to 30 bucks a bottle. Ya I know just shut up and pay the bill.

#12 ·
I'll take this opportunity cause it's here: I find it amazing, the same little rug-rats that will skip school, march on the capital building, protest, yell, scream, give speeches about "our bad environment and how horrible we all are", starving people, lack of health care, bad conditions in kennels.......... you name it; are the SAME ones who have no issues paying hundreds on tuxes, more on dresses, sometimes as much on hair/nails/eye lashes and the like. And don't forget the limo they need if they have a great group of friends. Then they raise funds to decorate to the nines and then throw it away after 3 hours. What a racket.

That said. I cried like a baby when I saw how beautiful my daughter looked going to her first prom. I cried harder when my wife detailed how much she spent. But....... That's life. "It's YOUR daughter" is a tired excuse for spending that kind of money. But, hey, it's your daughter! :cry2:

#13 ·
With 4 daughters I'm dreading the beginning of the "prom years." Luckily, the wife's good with a sewing machine. She made her own prom dresses and her own wedding dress. Hopefully my girls will be more practical than material.

#14 ·
"It's YOUR daughter" is a tired excuse for spending that kind of money. But, hey, it's your daughter! :cry2:
as opposed to... dunno, I think the thing is that spending frivolous amounts of money on a dress she'll only wear once is a bit... exorbitant? I know I'm one to talk, my Dad bought my prom dress for about fifty, maybe a hundred bucks when I went to prom, then shoes, then the tailor to hem the dress... in hindsight, that was very nice and I'm sure his wallet hurt for a bit afterward too. but that was always back when the economy wasn't in a funk. Eh.

#15 ·
I know I have complained about the cost of things that I didn't were expensive and I do apologize. That is not, however, going to stop me. My :blink: today is freaking prom gowns. My little girl and her mother have been going to dress shops and shopping on-line for a gown for here senior prom. These one time wear dresses are priced from 400.00 to 800.00!!!!! I guess I should have expected that but good lord!!!
Yep, got off cheap. I paid right in the middle of that range ($600) for my daughters Communion gown many years ago. I went to a bridal shop and had her gown made. She is 28 now and that was when she was in about the 2nd grade.
Then of course there was the DJ, food and hall rental. Kids today, especially in the larger Metro areas want it all.

#16 ·
No, spending that kind of money on a dress she'll wear once, along with all the other "once" spending in that day alone is nuts. So's buying a $500 gun you shoot twice a year. Or a swimming pool you use basically 4-5 months a year - the same $$ you could join the best health club, get massages each time you go, etc.

But - so is working 60-80 hours a week and not enjoying the fruit. Net - spend what you want, multiple ways to go and all are cool. The common theme is how we all feel, and you will too, when she's driving away to the prom.

Or college.

Or honeymoon.

Or new residence.............. in a neighboring state.......... :'(

gotta go now...........

#18 ·
Might we want to start a thread in classifieds for prom dresses? Could trade for primers, powder, brass, lead, etc? Imagine the possibilities...... guys bragging "I got this for only 2K primers and 4# Bullseye" Would make the whole thing more of a family affair. I could get the ball rolling if there is a market. There are 3, once worn prom dresses hanging on my side of the closet. Don't know why the wife put them on my side but there the live.

#19 ·
Might we want to start a thread in classifieds for prom dresses? Could trade for primers, powder, brass, lead, etc? Imagine the possibilities...... guys bragging "I got this for only 2K primers and 4# Bullseye" Would make the whole thing more of a family affair. I could get the ball rolling if there is a market. There are 3, once worn prom dresses hanging on my side of the closet. Don't know why the wife put them on my side but there the live.
She put them there because you paid for them, therefore they are yours! lol

#20 ·
Actually my little girl picked out a real stunner for around 300.00. The place she got the dress has a registry that keeps two girls from getting the same dress. Anyway, she looks great, the bank hasn't been broke and oh, she picked it out in about 10 minutes.

#21 ·
The place she got the dress has a registry that keeps two girls from getting the same dress.
One shop here does that too. But, they only do the exact same dress. Two girls showed up at Prom in the same dress but different colors and you'd have thought they'd shot her dog or something.

#22 ·
I think I'm going to invent a safety seal zipper to go on those. Kind of like that package tape that informs you of when its been opened up.
yeah, but those tamper seals don't work when the other side is completely open.... :brow:

#24 ·
This is the fourth time my daughter has gone to the senior prom. no, she isn't repeating her senior year three times, she's been asked four times. you would have thought i slaughtered a box full of kittens when i suggested she wear one of the other gowns. THIS prom is SPECIAL!! At this time I'd like to point out that at any given time I can be in trouble. I once asked for the potatoes at supper and my daughter burst into tears, my wife called me a bastard and my mother apologized to my wife explaining that she thought she had raised me better...........<sigh>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.