Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been reading on the forum where the newer 15 round ProMags are working in the 9mm carbines. My question is can anyone tell me if they do as well in the older model? I have a A series (was in the monkey stock b4 upgrade) and the charging handle doesn't lock back on last round.

·
Resident PITA
16,197 Posts
Promags have been known to damage older carbines and Hi-Point claims using them can void your warranty.

·
Super Moderator
9,614 Posts
I have a A series (was in the monkey stock b4 upgrade) and the charging handle doesn't lock back on last round.
+1 on what Cicpup said.
BTW, last round hold open (LRHO) was not a feature on earlier carbines -which the A series is- regardless of the magazine you use in it.

·
Super Moderator
25,927 Posts
It had something to do with the slide hitting the magazine and damaging the breech face. Not long ago I found the old email I had direct from HP about it in one of my old email accounts. Basically the official word is it causes a specific damage pattern and the use of ANY non HP aftermarket products automatically voids the warranty on all HP firearms.

Edit: Though we do have specific examples of members sending them in with a Joey trigger and getting their firearm back with the joey trigger in the box and a factory trigger reinstalled.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Resident PITA
16,197 Posts
It had something to do with the slide hitting the magazine and damaging the breech face. Not long ago I found the old email I had direct from HP about it in one of my old email accounts. Basically the official word is it causes a specific damage pattern and the use of ANY non HP aftermarket products automatically voids the warranty on all HP firearms
But that was before the 20 rounders came out. I'm guessing that since Hi-Point is helping sell them, they're OK with them.

·
Super Moderator
25,927 Posts
But that was before the 20 rounders came out. I'm guessing that since Hi-Point is helping sell them, they're OK with them.
HP also officially gave them (Redball) their stamp of approval very publicly and sells them on their accessories page, so that's kind of a given. They also approved Mahan sights by buying a lot and selling them on the Iberia extras page. We'll see how they handle the HTA bullpup stock, if and when it ever makes it to market.

·
Super Moderator
9,614 Posts
Nope. Hi-Point sent me a nice slip of paper when my old monkey gun came back from Mom warning not to use ProMags.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
It had something to do with the slide hitting the magazine and damaging the breech face. Not long ago I found the old email I had direct from HP about it in one of my old email accounts. Basically the official word is it causes a specific damage pattern and the use of ANY non HP aftermarket products automatically voids the warranty on all HP firearms.

Edit: Though we do have specific examples of members sending them in with a Joey trigger and getting their firearm back with the joey trigger in the box and a factory trigger reinstalled.
Yeah I can see that.
I also ended up looking through some of HP's old Facebook posts for some more info.
I think one of the design failures of ProMag 15 magazine is that you can remove the collar or that it can fall off. Without the collar on, you can slam the magazine into the receiver (with the bolt back), until it hits the loading ramp, and either break it or pean the ramp edge over. It's only zinc. And if you do it enough with the bolt closed it will eventually start to collapse the firing pin channel, especially on the older 995 bolts. If you rest the carbine on the mag while you're shooting without the collar on, pressure from the lips could chew up the bolt.
But if you leave the collar on and use it the right way, everything should be fine.
The red ball mags have a collar that you cannot remove. It's bubba proof. So you can't over insert it into the carbine. The C9 is a different story which is why I guess they don't recommend it.
I have used both the 15 and the 10 round ProMag 9mm magazines and they function much better than my 9mm HP mags. Mainly because of the better followers and springs. I have never found or seen any damage from the magazines.
Because I use them the right way.

·
Super Moderator
9,614 Posts
IIRC they did. Way back I recall someone posting here that they'd bought what was purported to be new versions, and they were very unhappy they'd gotten old versions.

·
Premium Member
22,082 Posts
Didn't promag also have different versions???
Yes! There may be some old ones out there floating around. Look at the yellow piece of paper that comes in the box with ALL of the carbines. Pics of the badly designed tops. It was one of the member's postings. This pertains to the 995's only. Somewhere there is pics of the different mag tops on this site. ProMag changed the design at least 4-5 years ago to my experience with Hi-Points. Probably further back than that.

Is it possible to get a sticky at the top of this forum with the factory paper with everything word for word? I had a couple of them. They went to the landfill.

·
Super Moderator
9,614 Posts
Look at the yellow piece of paper that comes in the box with ALL of the carbines. This pertains to the 995's only.
Is it possible to get a sticky at the top of this forum with the factory paper with everything word for word? I had a couple of them. They went to the landfill.
You mean this paper?

Trigger Machine gun Air gun Font Line

·
Premium Member
22,082 Posts

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,012 Posts
I was right , LRHO issue. :D
No your not. Do you even read the posts before you post. 98% if your advice is wrong. True story

1 - 20 of 105 Posts