Promag HIP 02 magazine

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by airdownalex, Feb 1, 2016.

1. airdownalex

airdownalex Member

Did I get ripped off?

Top mag marked ProMag and has a large base
    Bottom mag no marking and small base

I found the top mag in a mix match bin at a pawn shop, shoots great and looks just like all the online ads I see for Promag HIP 02. The bottom mag I ordered online from a retailer, just arrived in the mail in a Promag box.

I have read some on here dont like the ProMag's, I personally have loved my experience with them on rifles so I looked for them for my Hi-Point. Does anyone here know if one of these is and older production run or something?

Don't worry guys, the Hi-Point 10 round has been my absolute favorite mag and I have more of those on order.

Attached Files:

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have a BAD thing to say about promags if they were $1.00 each. BUT, after ordering & paying over $25.00 each for 6 magazines for 3 different guns & they were all JUNK & did NOT work. I wouldn't waste another $1.00 on any of them? But I'm CHEAP like that!

3. airdownalex

airdownalex Member

This would be my first complaint, but I'm not even sure I received a real ProMag.
    *edit pictures

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  4. airdownalex

airdownalex Member

This may help distinguish between the two mags.

The vendor emailed me this morning, says he uses a stock photo online but he is aware ProMag has changed their supply chain or manufacturing.

Attached Files:

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I'd say if you need a higher capacity 9mm pistol,
    just buy a double stack _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ brand, and
    call it a day.
    The only way I'd have bought that ProMag is bargain bin, like you :D
    That being said, I've had excellent luck with 3 other ProMag brands,

M&P9 full size
    Marlin 795
    Beretta 96 for the Sub2000, extended capacity.

I also got a used 8rd 1911 Mag from them, used, bargain priced,
    at the pawn shop. It functioned well with "snappers" in my Kimber,
    so I know it will be fine in the "ROCK" and prolly the HP carbine.

6. airdownalex

airdownalex Member

I actually have a CF380 and I already have a Bersa Thunder 380 Plus with the 15rnd double stack. :D

The HIP 02 isn't a hi-cap mag, its a direct replacement 8rnd.

I really like the one with the ProMag markings, I feel more stable with my second hand on the weapon and I can grab the gun better when drawing from my holster with that ProMag vs. the factory Hi-Point 8rnd. The factory 8rnd feels awkward to me, but I still have 2 of them.

Again, I feel most stable and prefer the factory Hi-Point 10rnd mag for shooting, have 3 of those now. But I feel the 8rnd Promag is the best to open carry in the holster I picked up. I personally had better draws and was more consistent with it. It also didn't get in my way while in the holster compared to the 10rnd.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  7. Kiln

Kiln Member

In my experience Promags are crap. To put it nicely.

This is with multiple makes for different models.

8. airdownalex

airdownalex Member

So the vendor and I both heard back from ProMag, they had a bad batch come out of assembly. They put the HIP-A3 end plate on the HIP-02 mags. ProMag is replacing all of the vendors inventory with the correct items and is sending me replacement end plates at no cost.

I personally really like this mag in my CF-380 (with the correct end plate) the plastic end plate feels more substantial and I have a better grip on it than the factory Hi-Point 8rnd mags. Like I said before, this is my first hiccup with any ProMags, I have had phenomenal results with their magazines in AR's. And even better they are based out of my home state.

So if anyone in the future stumbles on this issue, ProMag will take care of you.

9. Kiln

Kiln Member

Sounds like an okay experience but that's the type of stuff that gives them so many bad Reviews.

Here's a joke to describe my experience:

Q: Why did the Promag cross the road?

A: Because I tossed that POS in anger after the follower got stuck at an angle inside the body.

10. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

It is still unclear, though, whether or not these new gen promags still void the hi point warranty.

11. Kiln

Kiln Member

One thing is for sure, they void your reliability.

12. Dave4903

Dave4903 My other car is a M60A3 Supporting Member

The smaller (HIP-A3) base plate will allow the mag to be inserted too far into the pistol. If the slide is open, the loaded magazine will hit the firing pin and bend it. Ask me how I know.

13. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

You are on double secret pRoMag probation..............we are watching you! I can't see buying a Promag if the factory mag has the same capacity.

ProMag makes a 10rd S&W Shield9 mag. I haven't seen anyone say anything one way of another.

14. Until you see something in writing from Hi-Point, I would say "Yes", and I'm gonna guess that Hi-Point will never retract their position on Promags.

15. undeRGRound

INDY
    :rofl:
    Does she get a shpanking? :eek:

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    The S&W M&P9 full size is like an exact duplicate, except for the markings,
    and I use those more than the S&W oem mags. Flawless. That being said,
    the Marlin 795 mags seem a little cheap, poly/plastic banana mags, but
    run very very well, loaded to 28 rounds on a 25 round (listed) capacity :eek:
    Similar deal on the Beretta 96 extended capacity mags, they are listed at
    20 rounds, actually hold 23 (but 22 works best) and run flawlessly. 100%
    But I have had a 995 promag, jam-O-matic! :p

My personal experience has been good enough that I would "experiment"
    with certain ProMag variants, but only try then one at a time!!! :( :confused:

17. Earnshaw

Earnshaw Member

Same here, I've had some Promags that were lemons but some have been very good. Just enough that I won't write the brand off.
    Used some of their mags for the Bersa Thunder hicap ,model BRA-A2 that were fine performers.

18. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I prefer the older model BRA-44DD :p

19. Zorba

Zorba "The Veiled Male" Member

Another ProMag datapoint: I bought one for my P.38. As far as basic construction goes, it is the best mag I've ever seen. Instead of bent sheetmetal spot welded on one side, the ProMag P.38 magazine I received is an extrusion. Very nicely made. I've read that ProMags have a rep for weak springs, so I had a new Wolff mag spring on hand when the ProMag showed up. The stock ProMag spring wasn't weak - it was VERY strong! So much stronger than any of the other P.38 mags I had that I changed it to the Wolff spring immediately.

Operation has been flawless.

This means little to nothing regarding any other variant of ProMag - and is a sample size of one. YMMV and all that.

Haven't tried one for any other gun, much less a Hi-Point as I don't have one (yet). I generally prefer MecGars - do they make mags for Hi-Point guns?

20. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

All I know is that the 4 promags I received from HPFF members for my AR are complete and total JUNK. Can't load them to capacity because the mouth of the mag is so weak it spreads and the rounds just fall out randomly, too tight in the mag well and removing material to make them fit better would weaken the upper even more causing even more problems holding in rounds, and they don't have a deep enough pocket for the mag catch so they don't stay seated in the well during live fire causing FTF's.