Promags... yes promag

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by travis9mm, Nov 30, 2014.

1. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

So ive read oh idk 15 different threads on promags but they've all been fairly old. Now I read online that promag changed their design so itll feed the carbine better. My question, will the NEW promag still void the warranty? Last thing I wanna do is piss off MOM! lol

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The new one will, technically, still void the warranty

No one has EVER reported this being done to them

The newer Promags seem to work decently.

It's a cheap gun, if you feel the need for 4-5 more rounds per mag, go for it. If you eventually get rejected by the factory, you can buy an entire new one, and STILL be money ahead on every other PCC out there.:p

That's my plan.;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014

3. Who has the cajones to try and find out! I also read that article, but mine didn't say it would now validate the warranty, all it did say was it would feed better and prevent damage.

That's just about useless unless Hipoint gives the go-ahead. And why would they do that and destroy their magazine sales. Bummer!

Isn't there some legal reason they can't offer hi-cap mags themselves???

4. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.co...-review-4095-a-295545/index3.html#post2179858

We need a sticky because this comes up waaaayyyyyy to often!

They don't void the warranty on the .40. If you use the wrong ones on the 9? Possibly. The entire hullabaloo is about the 9's. Read and re-read the flyer you got in the box with your 4095. Moona11 has a butt load of them and no problems. I have 4, I didn't take the one that gave me problems yesterday to the range. I loaded it and forgot it. I was running low on aluminum 40's and wanted to mainly shoot pistols.

5. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

My box says not to use promags as it will void the warranty but who knows how old the box and flyer are.

6. TNTRAILERTRASH

9! 9! 9! re-read it! No mention of the .45 or .40. there is the one thread where all the tops of the 9mm carbine mags are shown. That is where the difference is, and the problems. Read HP's website for ordering 9mm mags. They sell 2 different types for 2 different style receivers.

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

One of our members has excellent pics of the 9mm mag tops. My PM's look almost exactly like the factory .40 mags except for the followers. I also accidently found out if you swap in a HP follower in the 15rd PM you can easily load 16.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Dude...did you notice his user name?

9!9!9!9!9. Read it!

Before you get too carried away, how about asking him for a picture of his warning? Maybe things changed?

9. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    SweeeT!
    I saw a (youtube?) report where swapping the HP follower into a ProMag made it work very, very well! They also put the ProMag follower into the HP mag and it still worked just as good, but no mention of mods, etc...

lmao @ AJ :D

10. TNTRAILERTRASH

I have a PM 40 follower in a stocker mag. It is just fine, no mods.

11. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Yes, my screen name is Travis9mm... my carbine is a .40

12. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Wow. My apologies everyone... im an idiot... big time. I looked at my flyer. Again soooo sorry

[​IMG]

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    Still holds 10 rounds?

No biggy, we all knew that, and now you know too! :D

14. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Will a mod make a sticky of this so nobody else makes themselves look like morons....

15. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

If I recall from previous discussions and examining the different mags myself, it looks like the issue with promag magazines has to do with the shape of the follower.

The promag has a sort of ghetto LRHO feature that is just the mag follower rising higher when the mag is empty and getting in the way of the bolt keeping it from closing. This not only causes an impact on the bolt where it shouldn't be, but also drives the mag forward into the ramp. The easy solution is to sand down the follower until it resembles the factory mag's follower (or just switch followers entirely), so that the bolt properly closes over the top of the magazine. No more damage to the bolt or feed ramp. The mag is still pretty unreliable though.

This does mean you give up LRHO though, as the promag lacks a protrusion on the front that actually engages a small divot that activates the TS version's built in LRHO. Some people have solved this by building up the follower in another place to engage the switch (or again by switching followers), but that's getting pretty complex by that point. If you have a 995 classic, or a classic converted to TS, don't even worry about LRHO because it never had it to begin with, (though you'll still want to file down that feed ramp to avoid the previously mentioned damage issue).

I wish HP would stop teasing and just release a high cap mag already.

16. TNTRAILERTRASH

Yes still holds 10 rounds!

I was saying 9-9-9-not meaning your screen name. It should have been 9mm! 9mm! 9mm!

I have found even with the factory mags the rounds want to nose dive when packing the mags. I insert the round with the right hand, the left thumb pokes the round from the primer end and makes them go nose up.

17. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

9mm rounds are slightly conical, so the more stacked in a mag, the more the nose will dip. Giving them a tap like that helps. A curved magazine would solve this problem, or one with a more slanted angle like the original Luger. Better followers and springs help as well.

18. TNTRAILERTRASH

I have 9mm ProMags that are 32rd for my Glock. They were turds until I got some Wolffe springs that were +5% stronger than the factory 33rd Glock mags.

The Promags for the HiPoints? I have no idea where to start for size etc.

19. undeRGRound

INDY
    For Starters, I'd say streeeeeetch them out!
    Look at the 15 round 1911 mags and check those for springs, and +5 +10's...

20. Don't beat yourself up, dude. You're not the first one to miss the fact that the flyer ONLY mentions the 995 & 995TS. I'm an extremely proficient reader, and still missed the fact that the warranty notice is restricted to only those two models, even though I read it repeatedly.

Poster TrailerTrash pointed the inconsistency out to me some time back, and he's right. There is no written notice in the box that using a Pro Mag will void your warranty in the 4095TS or the 4595TS.

That said, I feel it's incumbent on me (as an owner) to get the final word from MoM before I choose to use a Pro Mag in my 4095TS. I want them to state in writing that it won't void my warranty to use them, before I do so.