proper sale/transfer of firearms

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by USMC_VET, May 8, 2014.


    USMC_VET Supporting Member

    been thinking of selling my Savage Axis .308 rifle because of the recoil it has also i've got a bad shoulder and it is taking it's toll on it with the recoil even though it has a muzzle brake

    So being new to this procedure what is done and what are the steps also i'm in Calif so that makes a difference
  2. talon

    talon the banned wagon

    face to face sales are most likely different in CA, so i'll say check the laws on that one. Out of state sales, you simply go to your FFL you'll need the buyers FFL's number, they should contact your FFL directly with thier contact information and will include a copy of thier FFL card to yours. once they have each others information, its as simple as putting it in a box, and paying the shipping to get it on its way.

    DO NOT USE PAYPAL for paying for firearms, they WILL NOT cover the payment if there is a problem, thier user agreement does not allow for firearms purchase or transfer. Use a money order, or bank transfer to recieve payment. Western Union is also acceptable, but there's fees involved.

    its a simple process, the FFL usually charges about 20 bucks, give or take, and shipping a long gun is about 20 bucks.

  3. desertrider

    desertrider Member

    Find a buyer.

    Have buyer agree to meet you at an FFL that does private party transfers (most do). The buyer should pay all FFL fees, verify this with buyer if you feel necessary to avoid "surprises".

    Both of you meet at the FFL.

    Both of you must have valid drivers license.

    The FFL will provide all the paperwork that each of you will fill out. The firearm being transferred must be unloaded, and the FFL will verify all information on paperwork.

    It is poor etiquette to do the cash transaction inside the FFL business, I have always handled the cash out in the parking lot.

    Your involvement ends here.

    The FFL will hold the firearm for ten days before it is released to the purchaser.

  4. mn_doggie

    mn_doggie Member

    And it's poor etiquette because?
  5. FlashBang

    FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

    Since every State has it's own laws regarding firearms and private sales, I would suggest that you utilize the information specific to California:

    1. Can I sell a gun directly to another person (i.e. non-dealer)?
      • Generally, no. This type of transaction is referred to as a “private party transfer” and must be conducted through a fully licensed California firearms dealer. Failure to do so is a violation of California law. The purchaser (and seller if the purchaser is denied), must meet the normal firearm purchase and delivery requirements.
        Firearms dealers are required to process private party transfers upon request but may charge a fee not to exceed $10 per firearm for conducting the transfer. For example:
        1. For a private party transfer involving one or more handguns, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety, and dealer transfer fees, are not to exceed $35.00 for the first handgun and $31.00 for each additional handgun involved in the same transaction.
        2. For private party transfers involving one or more long guns, or a private party transfer involving one handgun, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety, and dealer transfer fees, are not to exceed $35.00. The dealer may charge an additional dealer-service fee of up to $10.00 for each additional firearm.
        "Antique firearms," as defined in section 921(a)(16) of Title 18 of the United States Code, and curio or relic rifles/shotguns, defined in section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, that are over 50 years old, are exempt from this requirement. For additional exceptions, refer to Penal Code sections 27850 through 27966.
        (Pen. Code, § 27545.)
  6. desertrider

    desertrider Member

    I'll give a few reasons, just bear in mind that these are my opinion, and not a universally accepted standard.

    1. Let's say you are doing a transaction where $1500 or $2500 is changing hands. Do you really want to advertise this publicly? There are some opportunistic characters out there who could follow someone out to the parking lot for a quick payday.

    2. Gun shops can be busy, some gun shop owners may not look favorably on a sale taking place at the gun counter between two private parties.

    3. An FFL is in the business of selling guns for a profit, you may be buying/selling a weapon at a lower price than one that they have in stock, with other (paying) customers standing around. Just not cool.

    Personally, every time I've completed a sale at an FFL, I will buy something from the store. After all, the shop is providing a service for me and only making about ten bucks on the deal, so the least I could do is show my gratitude by buying something and supporting his business.

    And finally, I believe that financial transactions between individuals should be done discretely, always.
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  7. duster066

    duster066 Supporting Member

    Here it's like selling a stick of gum, just the way it should be.:cool:
  8. Hermitt

    Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

    I'd check a few local gun shops and see if they'd let you sell it on consignment. Then they'd be the ones responsible for all the legalese... :D
  9. desertrider

    desertrider Member

    The problem with consignment is the percentage lost to the FFL for having them do the sale for you. Depending on who you go through the fee can be anywhere from 15% to 25% of your asking price.

    I've sold several guns through FFL's. Depending on how busy the shop is and how many people are at the counter, it can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour to finish the process.

    Let's say you're asking 1k for your gun. Let's say the FFL wants 25% for consignment. Now let's say that you choose to do PPT yourself instead, and it takes a whole hour of your time to do the transfer.

    You just made $250 for an hour of your time.
  10. ajole

    ajole Supporting Member

    NE Utah
    So here's my question.

    What you going to replace it with?

    .223? .220 Swift? 6.5 Swede? .243 or .260? 6mm Rem or 6BR? 7mm Mauser?

    There's lots of light kicking stuff out there, maybe not for consistent 1000 yard shooting, but easily for 600+ yards.

    And..what if you traded with the dealer on your replacement gun? You can SURELY do better selling, but this way, you avoid the hassle.
  11. Just put all the stock stuff back on it. Trade it for a savage axis in .243 put all your stuff on the .243 ;-)
  12. USMC_VET

    USMC_VET Supporting Member

    maybe a AR in .223 ......i dunno :confused: , all the stuff i've done to my Savage .308 like a Boyd's stock with a 2" butt pad and a muzzle brake and it still feels like i'm getting kicked by a mule in my shoulder and it leaves a really nice bruise that lasts for a couple weeks !!!
  13. Or you could reload your own .308 so that it doesn't have as much recoil.
    If you want the power/recoil of .32 acp-.30 carbine-30/30-full .308 or anything in between, you can have it.
  14. talon

    talon the banned wagon

    you've just been out of the service too long soldier!! If your drill sargeant heard you talking like that you'd be doing push ups until you were man enough to hold that gun without whinin' about it!!!


    sadly, its just the simple fact that we're getting older. i know after a few rounds even shooting my Mosin was starting to make the old shoulder uncomfortable.
  15. FlashBang

    FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

    The DI would be more up in his face for calling his rifle his gun then he would be about whining over his shoulder. ;)