Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now...i have convinced the wife to let me buy another gun....i just need to figure out what i want. I think the 995 is a sweet gun, and I like the fact that it shoots the same ammo as my C-9. So....my problem is...what is the use of this gun? Can i deer hunt with it? Is it just a target shooting gun? Ugh...might just buy another C-9 or .45 if i can't come up with a "good" reason to get the 995.

Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
You can deer hunt with it if regulations state you can. Some places won't let you use below a certain calibre to hunt deer. Just depends on where live.

Many people claim excellent accuracy out to about 75 yards or greater. I'd get one. Tacticool it up and be done with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get it, you wont regret it!
LOL...how does that help me? I need statistics, and crap like that...so i can make an informed purchase! :cool2:

Thanks...chances are...i will get one...just looking for feedback.

Quick question...will the 995 take down a deer?

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Now...i have convinced the wife to let me buy another gun....i just need to figure out what i want. I think the 995 is a sweet gun, and I like the fact that it shoots the same ammo as my C-9. So....my problem is...what is the use of this gun? Can i deer hunt with it? Is it just a target shooting gun? Ugh...might just buy another C-9 or .45 if i can't come up with a "good" reason to get the 995.

Thanks for any help
Shoot one and you'll have all the reason in the world to have one. It is probably one of the funnest weapons to shoot and by far the cheapest except for 22lr! Trying to coax x rings at 100yards is a kick and DO-ABLE. Minimal recoil, accurate, inexpensive to buy and shoot! 'nuff said! Bulldog

·
Registered
367 Posts
i have honest to god seen deer taken with a .22 lever action at around 70 yards
no dout in my mind that you can
what other stats you want? ive got my e series here

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Pro: Simple, it's an all out blast to shoot.

Con: Simple, it's an all out blast to shoot, so you'll wanna do it all the time.

Conclusion: Buy it, shoot it, love it, let the wife shoot it and then go buy you another for her.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I have had no cons out of my 995. I would almost put my life in its hands. I have never had any problems what so ever.

I did have an incident where the trigger assembly would pop out of place when you would rack a round back but that was only because the pin in the trigger that holds it to the trigger group came out of the side it was caught and wasn't letting the trigger extend fully out to its normal resting position.

That was only a mistake on my part for not realizing the problem before it happened.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The only con I can find about mine is: It gets very hungry and will eat 9mm all day and want some more when your done. So the con is buying ammo (that's why I reload).
Pro's
I have shot pop cans at 110 yards, shoot the center of a target at 50 yards. (What I like to do is place a pop can at 10 feet and see how far I can move with one mag. So far 80yards.)
Does not cost a lot.
Uses the cheapest center fire ammo.
Simple design
Warranty, warranty, warranty.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have a un-modified 995, does have the comp on it though, but in any case..I shoot paper plates at 100 yds with it.
I would/do trust my life with mine..if ya want to go that far.
It's cheap to buy and you can't beat the warranty. (cheap compared to other 9mm carbines)
Ammo is rough to get sometimes depending where you live.
Buy one.
Great plinker..anything 100 yds or less will have holes in it. (farther with a lil practice)
Buy one...ohh said that already..you'll like it.

(Disclaimer: I am not a Hi-Point salesman or employee, but I did stay in a Holida..well nevermind..Buy one)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
The only con I can find about mine is: It gets very hungry and will eat 9mm all day and want some more when your done. So the con is buying ammo (that's why I reload).
Pro's
I have shot pop cans at 110 yards, shoot the center of a target at 50 yards. (What I like to do is place a pop can at 10 feet and see how far I can move with one mag. So far 80yards.)
Does not cost a lot.
Uses the cheapest center fire ammo.
Simple design
Warranty, warranty, warranty.
+50

·
Registered
63 Posts
my little cousin has the old 995 carbine and it was more fun to shoot than my ar15. can't wait for my ts to show up. as for deer, it would have to be a small deer and up close. with some hot reloads i'd feel more comfortable with the 9mm. even then i'd trust the 40 s&w carbine more than the 9mm for deer.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
my little cousin has the old 995 carbine and it was more fun to shoot than my ar15. can't wait for my ts to show up. as for deer, it would have to be a small deer and up close. with some hot reloads i'd feel more comfortable with the 9mm. even then i'd trust the 40 s&w carbine more than the 9mm for deer.
This is true to a certain extent but really its all about the shot positioning. Ive seen the biggest hogs taken down with one shot to the ear with a 22lr. JMO

·
Registered
63 Posts
definitly. I agree shot placement is critical. thats what seperates the real hunters from someone who just wants to get a animal. it takes dicipline to be a true sportsman. if you don't have that perfect shot with an underpowered gun then you have to let it go. but when you do get that shot the reward is far greater than knocking down a poor little doe with a 300 win mag or something of that sort.

my little cousin is going to hunt javilina this fall with his 995 and i'm going to load him up some hot 115gr hp's so that will be interesting to see how well it works for him.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I view the 995 as a fun plinking gun and possible HD weapon (surroundings permitting.) It's dead-accurate, especially with a red-dot and relatively inexpensive to shoot. However, I would look to an actual deer rifle for hunting and recognize the 995 for what it truly is (above.) Could be a good weapon for coyote and things of that nature, though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I already have a deer rifle. I was just looking to see what the 995 is good for. It's starting to look like it would mostly be a target shooting gun. I might have to rethink this purchase. Hrmm...oh well...that's why you research before buying. Thanks for the input so far everyone!

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Pros
:Its a blast to shoot
:Its accurate (i can hit clays at 150 yrds all day it gets kinda spotty at 200yrds)
:Iron sights are awesome
:Low maintenance Hi Point does not recommend taking the gun apart to clean it just swab the bore and oil the action. Although its best to clean it every 1000 or so rounds.
: There are now quite a few aftermarket parts being made.
: Very low recoil
: Very quiet for being 9mm especially tolerable with 147 grain ammo I would still recommend hearing protection
: Rated for +P and +P+ ammo
: Light weight
: The lowest priced 9mm carbine available
: Lifetime no questions asked 1st or 50th owner warranty
: Every repair done by the factory free of charge this includes new BBL and slide
: Mine has been very reliable with about 6 stopages in the 5k or so rounds I have fired through it.
: Is an excellent choice for HD with an overall length of approx. 30 inches and quiet report

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Cons
: Low mag capacity
: Factory stock feels like its made of an innertube from a bicycle (very flimsy) 1st gen
: Can be difficult to find
: Factory stock has a tendacy to slap your cheek when fired. 1st gen
: Is fairly difficult to field strip
: Must remove iorn sights in order to mount scope. 1st gen
: Low mag capacity (needs repeated because its the biggest drawback)
: 9mm ammo can be hard to find not sure about .40
: ATI stock takes care of the OEM stock issues but it costs around $60
: Low mag capacity

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.