Pro's vs Con's on xxxx gun buy's?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MachoMelvin, Nov 11, 2014.

1. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have 4 different HP's coming in this week from 3 separate sources. So do I wait until they all come in and pick them up all at the same time & save $33, or pick them up 1 per week, as so not to send any red flags & pay the extra $$$?

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    2 or more HPs at one time will toss up a red flag. Around here it equals a possible visit from the ATF being I'm smack dab between NY & Mass. In Ohio? Probably not such a big deal.

3. MachoMelvin

Yea, the rule makes NO sense! I can buy 20 AR-15's from the same gun store or I can buy 20 handguns from 20 different stores with no notice?

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I'd get them all at once.

I'm cheap like that.:p

5. Get them all at once.

It's a win win. As you aren't doing anything illegal.

Win 1. You save money.
    Win2. If you get a visit. You waste the atf time an money.
    Win3. Get enough attention from the atf over and over again. And you may get on a first name basis your local atf.
    Then you can ask him all sorts of stupid questions that Google can answer.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    ALL of my LGS here in Indiana have told me that it is better to buy multiple guns at once. If it is 4 handguns, they just run a check, and list "handgun" (singular) Does not matter if it is 1 or 10. Same thing for long gun, rifle or shotty. 1 or 10 or more. But buying a handgun and a long gun must be listed as such.

Do them all at once, Mel, because if they are watching for volume, they will know if it is spaced out even more than if you do it all at once and save the money. I am certain that if they actually see 4 at once (and I am not convinced that they do) it will be the same as buying 1 a week for a month. They will assume you are spacing it out to avoid scrutiny.

Like the $10,000 reporting law
    Several separate $9,000 transactions triggers a red flag just like exceeding the $10K limit. It is a bank transaction and Precious Metals purchase alert.
    They want to KNOW!

7. Back2School

Back2School Member

I just can't believe there are 4 HP's you don't already own :p

8. cicpup

Vermont
    So I take it they didn't mention having to file one of these?

Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols

9. MachoMelvin

Believe it or not, after I get this next 5 guns this week, I'll still be about 5 short? I'll have 35 HP handguns. Who knows where the end is?

10. undeRGRound

INDY
    Nope! And I see that is dated 2003, so maybe the LGS was talking about long guns. But I did not remember any differentiation being mentioned... must have been in the context of buying a rifle, or more than one rifle, or a rifle and a handgun (singular). Can't remember buying more than one handgun at a time, and I know I never filled out that form. Is that for them to file?

11. undeRGRound

INDY

Read his signature, And count 7. Literacy Rocks! :p

12. Back2School

Back2School Member

His signature only counts 7 because any more exceeds the character limit.
    See his comment on 35 HP HANDGUNS!
    Don't think that includes the carbines.
    Of course, I do believe there was a boating accident..

13. cicpup

Vermont
    They file it which is why most people don't even know it exists. That's the version I could find with a quick Google search so it might have been updated by now. But anytime you receive/purchase 2 or more handguns within a week from the same FFL one of those with your name and gun info goes to the ATF and a red flag gets raised. Trust me on this one. I had a nice long visit with two agents one day and they showed me the list they had that included every multi purchase I had made.

14. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Not in Texas. The ATF would do a legal colonoscopy on you if you did!
    :eek:

15. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

That's true the people that live in any of the border states have that problem. That is unless you're ATF and then you can buy as many as you want and send them to Mexico.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    LOL, I meant the 7 he does not have yet. :D
    Just messin' w/ya anywayZ B2S! ;)

So how many multi-purchases did it take? ;)

17. cicpup

Vermont
    4 purchases of 2 handguns each from 2 different LGSs. A S&W Sigma 40cal, Ruger 22/45 and 6 Hi-Points. All because I thought I was a smartass saving $10 transfer charge on each transaction. Funny thing. When I made my 4th multi purchase my LGS told me about their mandatory reporting and said I should expect a visit. Didn't believe him. 2 weeks later they were knocking on my door.

18. bluharley

bluharley Member

Interesting, what did they say?

19. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Well everyone knows that Vermont is a hive of terrorist gun runners whose only purpose is to corrupt the honest law abiding citizens of Massachusetts (gez's can they use any more letters in the states name) and New York. :rolleyes::D

20. cicpup

Vermont
    Wanted to make sure I still had them and if not, where they went. Their biggest concern was I wasn't playing strawman. Scared the hell out of me as I had already sold the POS Sigma & the Ruger. Luckily I had enough smarts to obtain the buyers info. Got off with a warning and advice that if I want to continue selling firearms it would be a good idea to apply for a FFL. Also, they only cared about the handguns. Couldn't give two sheets about the rifles and shotguns I had sold.