Proud dad

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Apr 14, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

My son, Christopher, and his buddy just went to compete in their first judo tournament tonight. The boy took second place. Proud papa!

He asked me not to come. Therefore, I do not have pictures. ...Yet. As soon as I can snag someone else's pictures I'll post up a few. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

2. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Awesome, congrats Kirk's son :D

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Awesome!....... Give him an extra pat on the back for us!

4. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

That is great. Congrats to the young man.

5. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Congratulations to your son, Kirk. That's one heck of a debut for his first tournament. It sounds like you prepared him well. My wife and I don't have kids, so I can only imagine the pride that must come from seeing your efforts bear fruit like that.

6. congrats, why didnt he want the old man there?

afraid you would get challenged?
    I imagine all sparing competitions to be like video games. if someone challenges you. you have to fight right?

:D

Really congratulations.

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Congrats Kirk.
    I'm sure he'll let you watch next time.
    He just needs to find his footing on his own.

8. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

My son was really nervous about me coaching him his first year of wrestling.... But he got over it, and told me I was his favorite..... It'll come.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm not entirely sure why he didn't want me to come. I suspect that it was his version of performance anxiety. Truthfully, he really isn't interested in competition at all and would prefer not to do it. However, one of the head instructors at our club, 5th degree Mike Yoshida, informed him that it is a requirement for testing at Brown Belt (his next belt) and above until past the age of 30 or 40 (or something younger than I am, anyhow). So he went and competed, but not "voluntarily."

I guess, to him, it's sort of like Cleanup Projects in Boy Scouts. Just something ya gotta do. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

hahaha

More like The Karate Kid only with less "Finish him, Daniel!"

Think of a Chess Tournament only with slamming people on their heads. :)

I believe this one was double-elimination, which seems to be the standard these days.

But, now that you mention it, there was a promotion system that went just like that, in Medieval England. The Maisters of Defense, under a guild-like promotion and ranking system, would require applicants for ranking process to post hand-bills throughout the area inviting anyone to come challenge them to a match. It's unclear to me if that "invitation" only applied to other members of the "guild" or if it was truly an open challenge. The wording on the hand-bill doesn't specify so it implies an open challenge, however, guilds were pretty closed and would only allow other guild members to pass judgment on membership so I can't see the Maisters of Defense being much different. It may have just been common knowledge that the invitations to "Play the Prize" were only open to other members of the Maisters of Defense.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Your son did great good job