PSA for any Rossi R92 owners....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by desertrider, Jan 24, 2016.

1. desertrider

desertrider Member

Don't be an idgit like me.:eek:

Took my R92 to the range on Friday night after not shooting it for about seven months.

While I was loading it I noticed what I thought was a missing screw on the right side of the receiver above and to the right of the loading gate.

Dang it, it must have loosened and fallen out the last time I shot it. Or so I thought. So what did I do? Tightened all the other screws on the receiver, duh, what else?

So there I am like a fool with my MUT cinching every fastener down.

Well, after I top off the mag, I go to load a round and the lever is seized up. WTF?

I really didn't want to waste anymore time tinkering with it at the range, so I pulled the plug and spring out of the magazine tube and emptied the rounds before putting the rifle back in its case.

A quick google search at home revealed that I wasn't missing a screw after all, the open hole in the receiver is for a bolt pin.

By tightening all the screws I inadvertantly tightened the bolt pin stop screw, effectively locking my bolt and seizing up the action.

Moral to this story?

If you haven't shot something for a while, refamiliarize yourself with it and don't go tightening screws/bolts like a chimp who just found a screwdriver!

2. histed

histed Supporting Member

Been there, done that, different gun. Major league sucks.

3. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

Took my Stoeger coach gun apart to clean and be danged if I could not get this simple barrel and stock to mate up.
    Been two years since I last had range time with it so not a lot of tear down and cleaning was needed.
    Well youtube came to my rescue.

4. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    I am still trying to figure out what palmetto state armory has to do with this? :D

5. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

I'm guessing he meant "Public Service Announcement".

6. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Doh! Sorry, Dane, just now saw the big grin emoji. :blush:

7. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Well that makes more sense. The only thing that came to my mind was Palmetto. :eek:

8. I own a 92 and what you describe is a very common mistake with the 92. The folks at the Rossi Rifleman board are knowledgeable and answers to questions come on pretty quick.

9. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Didn't like where the scope sat on my AR so I moved it forward, great perfect... got to the range and I couldn't turn the magnification ring because it was up against the rail...

10. miketx

miketx Member

I did the exact same thing to mine!