Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am about to buy a PSL Romanian PSL-54C 7.62x54R Rifle, from aim surplus. But I have been reading and learned that the accuracy of the rifle is not good after shooting alot because the barrel is thin and heats up fast . And I have also heard that shooting heavy ball ammo in it is bad for it as well. So before I buy could you guys tell me why you cant shoot heavy ball ammo in it? I'm courious because I have alot of brown bear 203 grain soft points left over from my mosin, and is it possible to convert the rifle by enlarging the gas tube or something to shoot the ammo without harm. And about the bad accuracy of the barrel from it heating up due to being so thin I plan on cutting it down to about flush with the gas tube and fitting a new flashider on it. Is their anything else I should look for on the rifle, and any other tips on making it more accurate? Thanks Kira.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The PSL uses a stamped receiver similar to the AK47. So the heavy ball literally shakes and batters the whole thing apart.

A true Dragunov has a milled receiver to better handle the abuse. But it is still not totally advisable.

As far as accuracy they are not the best choice for the money. $700 is pretty steep for what your getting accuracy wise. But that's about the going price these days. Looks cool though. Never modded mine. Since I wasn't happy with the accuracy and traded it for something else.

I used the 148GR Bulgarian $24.00 a 100. 148GR Wolf FMJ Steel case $18.00 for 20. With no operational problems.

Walt

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Thin barrel, low quality design, low quality workmanship on the PSL. Its just not the quality you would expect of a 800.00 rifle, you will not be happy.

I want something that shoots that round too but outside of spending 2-3k on a real Drag (hehe pun) there just isnt anything in auto-loading.

I keep hoping that RAA will import the Saiga in that cal but Im not holding my breath.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Good god why??? You can get a sub-MOA Garand with scope and 20k of ammo for less than that!

Never mind just makes it even more so, damn I just looked at those a few years ago. Guess I should have bought it.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Ive never been a fan of Chinese anything but the Tiger is better than that pos PSL. Crap cant believe any of those are going for these prices.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I just dont see the attraction or the logic but hey I do odd shit too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey thanks guys for all the info, I guess I will just save my money. I really do wish they would come out with a saiga 7.62x54r, I already have their 30/06 model, I just wish it had a pistol grip.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
I bought all my ammo from Cabelas for use in my rifle.If you get one(I'd recommend it),replace the European scope,and get an AK type side mount, then a decent variable scope,say, 3x9x40. I fired my PSL at 100 yds and was happy with it;anybody or anything I aimed at was gong to go down hard!! Their barrels don't heat up anymore than bolt action deer rifles.just take your time and measure your shots. The buttstock/plate has a spring inside it that REALLY tones down the recoil, the rifle feels really good shooting from a bench and the pistol grip stock feels natural. Do what you want, not what I say...but I think you won't be as disappointed if you buy the gun and form your own opinions.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Hey thanks guys for all the info, I guess I will just save my money. I really do wish they would come out with a saiga 7.62x54r, I already have their 30/06 model, I just wish it had a pistol grip.
Thats the Saiga 100 model if I am not mistaken and a completely different design. The only thing you can do with it without some fairly decent gunsmith/machinist work is sell or trade for a 308. Prices on 308 ammo are slowly coming down but will never be low until military buyers stop sucking it all up. Right now its reload (the simple solution) or gunsafe queen unless you got the bucks.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
I bought all my ammo from Cabelas for use in my rifle.If you get one(I'd recommend it),replace the European scope,and get an AK type side mount, then a decent variable scope,say, 3x9x40. I fired my PSL at 100 yds and was happy with it;anybody or anything I aimed at was gong to go down hard!! Their barrels don't heat up anymore than bolt action deer rifles.just take your time and measure your shots. The buttstock/plate has a spring inside it that REALLY tones down the recoil, the rifle feels really good shooting from a bench and the pistol grip stock feels natural. Do what you want, not what I say...but I think you won't be as disappointed if you buy the gun and form your own opinions.
PSL rifles dont have a spring in the factory stock. can you post a pic of yours?

SW

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah its the 100 model saig so accesories are limited, and I am no machinist so I'm out of luck. But it really is a great gun. I got it at a pawn shop for about 400$, and it can easily shoot 220 grain soft point all day.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
You dont have to be a machinist it just isnt an easy rifle to return to AK form. Thing of it is in Russia you can buy a whole damn line of Saigas in AK form using all kinds of rounds. 54R, 30/06, 308, x39, 223, 5.45, etc all can be bought there but you dont get to have them here, thank the govt for that one.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
You dont have to be a machinist it just isnt an easy rifle to return to AK form. Thing of it is in Russia you can buy a whole damn line of Saigas in AK form using all kinds of rounds. 54R, 30/06, 308, x39, 223, 5.45, etc all can be bought there but you dont get to have them here, thank the govt for that one.
I guess you could say there are some upsides to being a commie then.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I guess you could say there are some upsides to being a commie then.
EX-commies. They now lecture us on the value of free markets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts