Puddle

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Dec 18, 2014.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I got home this evening to a rather large puddle and a soaking runner in my entry hallway. Apparently my water heater gave up the ghost some time while I was at work and has a small leak.

<sigh>

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

Mine did that a while back. I was sleeping, the heater is within earshot. I woke up to the sound of a waterfall! I was able to shut the water off before it went on for long.

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Gosh darn it Kirk!....... I'm sorry brother..... Praying you find a bargain on the replacement....

4. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Been there done that. Next water heater swap is going to be a tankless natural gas and I will add a solar preheat tank in front of it.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I was going to have a plumber come in but my brother and cousin do contracting & remodeling and have replaced several of them. They'll be in tomorrow afternoon. That'll cut a few hundred off, I hope.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The Germans can get some HOT water out of those things, fast.

Up front cost is high, but savings over time should be even higher. If I ever need to replace, that's the route I want to take.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

7 years ago, when we last replaced, we wanted to do that but the plumber started talking about being required to upgrade our NG exhaust, cutting holes in the roof, and a lot of other expensive stuff. We ran the numbers and there was just no payback.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. I went with a tankless direct vent gas unit made by Rinnai. Not the cheapest way to go but it is very efficient.

9. bluharley

bluharley Member

Funny. When I visited Ukraine in 1995, I was allowed to stay in my future mother-in-laws apartment downtown for my two weeks there. All their stuff was a good 50 years old, including the inline gas water heater! Same thing you're talking about. One day, it started banging, popping, and smoking. My future wife, her mother, and her mothers mother, were staying in grandmas house outside of town. I called her on the phone, I was freaking out telling her to "COME, HURRY, COME!" We had a little language barrier at the time, I don't know Russian, and she didn't know much English. She came about an hour later, she thought I was kidding around. they had the plumber come and fix it. Turns out, "It does it all the time!" I thought I was going to get blown up!

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Well my water heater is fixed now, thank the Lord. Special thanks to my brother and my cousin for doing all of the actual work because the only thing more dangerous than an amateur who thinks he knows how to be a plumber is an amateur who thinks he knows how to be an electrician. I know certainly that I am neither so I am appreciative of the help that I can get.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

+9.99...x10^99

Residential house wiring is actually the simplest to R&R.
    Now, if something is blown up or not just a simple R&R, it's time to call a real electrician. Even some new installations are not that bad, I had a friend online that wanted a TIG welding hookup, he lived in Cincy. I took the time to "talk him through it" on the phone, safely. It worked, first time.

12. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Seems to me

that stuff like this always happens right before Christmas. :( :eek:

Think of it as Satan's test of your Christmas spirit. :cool:

13. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Except if you live in an old house that still has 'knob & tube' wiring! :eek:

14. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Knob and tube is safer than some of the crap wiring jobs I have seen.When I was growing up my family bought and remodeled houses as a sideline. Some the wiring just made you shake your head and wonder why it didn't burn down. Saw one with speaker wire ran through the attic to power a microwave outlet they installed over the stove...

When I was 16 I took the $10k I had in savings and pitched in with the rest of the family, we got 3 houses on auction that spring and by fall all 3 had been gutted to the outside walls, had new plumbing and wiring that we did ourselves, new drywall, kitchen cabinets, windows, doors etc. I turned a $50k profit that summer when we sold them that went right into my college fund. I still worked through college anyway, was ingrained into my lifestyle to work for what you want. Something sorely lacking in kids these days, zero work ethic.

I tore out plaster and lathe in all 3 houses, hauled load after load to the dump that summer. By July all 3 houses were ready to start the rebuild on. With 7 family members we had a big crew so it goes fast. My oldest sister was the drywall artist, we hung it and she came after us and taped and mudded. Never had to sand if she did it. I did wiring and rough carpentry, little brother was muscle, older brother knew plumbing, other sister did a lot of the wood finishing, mom and dad came out after work and helped us with everything and inspected what we did that day(Dad was an electrician by day so that is where I picked that up). Say a long summer of 12-14 hour days but it vaulted us from barely out of poverty into mom and dad getting a new house my senior year of high school. That we built a stick at a time!

15. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

That is simple, too. If it is in good shape, you can actually keep it!
    Adding stuff is easier in romex, however. I have added to knob-n-tube before :D

Even repaired it in ceiling boxes. Heat Shrink is great stuff when you do not want to do a major re-work ;) Get the kind with the hot melt inside it, however...

16. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Mary, that is a fantastic story!...... And like you said, sorely lacking tiday

17. Yup, knob & tube is very safe when left alone, the problem is when people tie into it.

Mary, I know that labor you're talking about. Here's a pic of my current project. It's a "Four Square", did a complete gut. All new plumbing and electric. I'm well beyond this point now and I'm mudding new sheetrock walls. Alas, I don't have the skills of your sister and sanding really bites. :(

Attached Files:

18. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Join the club I suck at drywall and end up sanding for days. I did find an attachment for a sanding pad on the end of my shop vac that really cut down on the dust. Use a drywall bag and one of the blue filters in the vac. I use the same bag setup for moving corn to control the grain dust.

19. Thanks Mary, I will definitely check this out!