Pushing universal background checks in Minnesota

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by MXGreg, Mar 31, 2016.

1. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

We've got a couple of legislators in Minnesota who are going to try to push universal background checks. It won't go anywhere. I did get a kick out of the editorial written by the Star Tribune.

http://www.startribune.com/give-universal-background-checks-a-chance-in-minnesota/372620221/

If you don't feel like reading the article, this will tell you all you need to know about the quality of the editorial.

2. I think the current law that requires one of the following- a permit to acquire, carry permit or a background check for handguns and msr's applies to private sales.

Look at how few private sales follow that.

3. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    Correct, the current law requires that and I think it requires a new NICS background check for each purchase from an FFL whether or not you have a MN carry permit. Every pistol purchase I've done thru a gunshop did the federal permit, even if my carry permit had just been issued. Maybe they were just being careful.

There is a penalty for not doing it. If a person sells without having a background check done, they can be charged with some kind of misdemeanor if the firearm is used in a crime in the year after the sale.

I just purchased a handgun from a neighbor, We did a bill of sale and I provided a copy of my carry permit. We both signed the bill of sale.

In MN a background check is supposed to be done by the sheriff's dept. every year on a carry permit. If, at anytime during the year, the permit holder does something "bad", the sheriff is supposed to come and get the permit since it is stamped "property of the sheriff".

4. Armslist has classifieds in every state, INCLUDING the ones with UBC. Any firearm shipped has to go through a FFL, and requires either a BC, or CC permit where allowed.