Q: So you shoot? A: What?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Jun 15, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I, too, suffer from tinnitus. Sometimes it's maddening. If you're an NRA member, they can help.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. Rerun

Rerun Member

In my younger days, I used to hunt with a Mossberg bolt-action 12 gauge shotgun.

I once shot three crows that I had stalked for an hour. Managed to get two of them with three shots fired and, after reloading a single shell, got the third when he returned to see why his friends weren't following him a couple of minutes later.

I have shot a lot of squirrels and rabbits with it using mostly 6's. It had a modified choke on it.

It was too heavy to be a decent 'Upland Game' gun. Pheasants, quail and doves had little to fear from me as they swooped, barrel-rolled and plain zoomed past me.

eldar

3. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I have permanent tinnitus in my left ear, but it was not caused from any loud noise, altho many years of using skilsaws has not helped it much.

About 25 years ago I was out water skiing with my Uncle and we had an O'Brien Bullfrog kneeboard (predecessor to the wakeboard), and we would stand on it and surf the boat wakes. Well, I took a pretty hard spill and didn't think much of it. A few days latter I started having severe vertigo issues. Worse than any hangover that you can imagine! It turns out that I had ruptured the thin membrane of my 'oval window' in my inner ear. I had to have a skin graft patch on it to repair it and ever since then, I have had the tinnitus. Some days it's worse than others. Most of the time, ambient noise will mask it, but when it gets really quiet, it seems that the tinnitus gets louder than ever! :eek:

O'Brien Bullfrog.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I've got about 5% hearing in my left ear, and tinnitus in both.... What's goofy is even though I can't hear anything in my bad ear, the ringing is louder in that ear...

5. It was always preached to me to wear muffs during target practice.

But honestly lately i have been seeing the internet go crazy. People freaking out because I don't hunt with muffs on. or because I dont "double up" with muffs and plugs. I shoot once a big rifle twice a year without plugs if im lucky (hunting) I mow the grass like 20 times. I honestly think there should be a bigger push towards that, as i am on the mower for an hour at a time.

6. Rerun

Rerun Member

Tinnitus...?

Re-reads first post.

Re-reads thread title.

Oh...

*looks crestfallen*

I thought I heard this thread was about unusual firearms one had owned/used...

i guess I have some hearing loss too...

eldar

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Years ago, I got into the habit of grabbing the muffs out of my shooting bag just to vacuum. Any time I feel a sense of reverberation in my ears, that is my signal to don protection.

8. Bull

I started to, then caught Kirk's subtle humor..... I think we should blame him for being clever!...

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Sometimes I throw in little jokes just to amuse myself and see if anyone catches it. In my post about teaching in Illinois, I used the term "you-uns" and some subtle southern humor. Only people who've lived in both the North and (the right parts of) the South would get it, and only if they caught it. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. Rerun

Rerun Member

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Even single impulse events can cause damage.

But you're right about mowing the lawn &tc. I never did as a kid. In fact, I wore headphones with music blasting loud enough to be heard over the mower. <dumb> Now that I'm forcing my boy to help with mowing, I'm also forcing him to wear plugs. He hates it and complains that it should be his choice. Nope. It's not! When you turn 18, then you can decide to permanently damage your hearing. But until then, you'll wear these plugs. <sigh>

Was I ever that dumb and bull-headed?

SHUT UP! THAT WAS A RHETORICAL QUESTION!

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

My wife says that I was born old.

Now that I'm nearly 50, I finally have an excuse for being cranky. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. Rerun

Rerun Member

You have children at home.

You're not old until grandbabies arrive.

eldar

15. Bull

Arghhhhhhh!!!!!..... I will be old in September....

16. I usualy make my kids wear the cheap muffs if they are working with me. maybe not as sound supressant as plugs, but better than nothing. and good luck getting a 5 yr old to keep plugs in!

17. Rerun

Rerun Member

LOL!

:D

Fun for You and Thine!

Early congratulations!

eldar

18. Rerun

Rerun Member

Duct tape works wonders!

;)

eldar