Question about amount of rounds fired before first cleaning.

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by kevin6154, Apr 23, 2014.

1. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

I'm no expert and I'm also not a newb when it comes to firearms. I've been shooting most all my life. It seems odd to me that the manual for my new jcp recommends only brushing the bore every 300/400rounds. I've only ever bought 3 new pistols. A Phoenix hp22, a cobra ca380, and my new hipoint. All other firearms I've owned were bought used. So is the 300/400 rounds for break in? It seems odd to me. As a youth my father and grandfather always said "never let the sun set on a dirty gun". It's hard for me to put it away without tearing it down for cleaning. Am I doing the right thing by following the recomendaions of the owners manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

2. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

i'm a Military Vet and also trained as a small arms armorer while i was in and we cleaned our rifles 3x's or 3 consecutive days even if it only had 3 rds thru it . So with my 995TS yes it get's field stripped and a complete and thorough cleaning after ea range visit

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

Im the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to my HP. Other guns, I clean everytime, but my HP gets a bore snake each trip only. Im over 4000 rounds, and it was stripped once, more for curiosity sake and to check the firing pin.

4. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Just seems odd for so many rounds before cleaning. I can understand not removing the slide every time to avoid wearing out the roll pin and hole that it rides in. But 300/400 before brushing the bore seems excessive. I'm at 175 now and will probly do it after my nxt trip to the gun club. I always break down my ruger p95 directly after each outing. It's a habit my dad started early on in life. Plus the smell of hops solvent brings back memories of my dad and I when I was a kid. I've read more good than bad reviews on this pistol so out of curiosity I bought one. Had to tune the mag to make it feed properly but other than that I'm very pleased. Aside from taking some ribbing from some of my friends for buying a "Saturday night special on steroids" lol. They seem to change their tune after they fire my $150 pistol! Bought it new for 1/2 the price I paid for my ruger used!

5. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

used to like watching my Marines suffer thru the 3 day cleaning ritual and myself turning them away from my armory window because they weren't cleaned to my satisfaction . While they toiled away cleaning with CLP Break Free ,Q-tips and old T-shirts i would break mine down place parts in a sonic washer filled with TCE aircraft cleaning solvent and would look brand new in a matter of minutes !!!

i would even do this to officers and they had the CLP/Breakfree , Q-tips and t-shirt towels spent their 3 day ritual cleaning . Had one WM Lieutenant challenge me to show her my service M1911A1 so she could inspect it for it being dirty and she couldn't find one spec of dirt on it and even checked my gun card to see if that was my assigned weapon which it was , Wow was she ever pissed after that LOL!!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  6. I was never taught to clean firearms so following Hi points manual is pretty easy. I have learned I was wrong and I do things a lot different now.

If I'm using corrosive ammo I clean as soon as I get home. Other ammo I clean every 400 rounds or so.

7. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Not a fan of break free. I just stripped and cleaned a marlin22lr rifle for my friend. He used break free on it then fired about 200 rounds thru it till it gummed up. Good ol hops#9 and a tooth brush many many qtips and some rags later good as new. Instead of hops oil I used some Kano kroil on it. It's way lighter and will creep into places that most oil won't.

8. NWPatriot

NWPatriot Member

I grew up being taught by my father to clean my guns after each outing. I've maintained that ritual for the most part, mostly because I like my guns clean. I find the cleaning recommendation by Hi-Point interesting, so I'm going to give my JHP nothing but a bore snake and maybe the occasional blast of aerosol solvent and see how it does. I'll hold off on doing a more complete strip for at least a few hundred rounds, if not more, and see how she does.

9. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

My ruger field stops in seconds w no tools so strip and clean each time is a 7/10 min procedure. Then again new it cost2.5 to 3x what a hipoint dose so.... That being said I keep it clean!

10. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Field strips my bad....

11. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I clean all my firearms after each trip to the range. How I clean them and how much work I put into cleaning them, depends on how dirty they are. At very least I run a bore brush through them and usually a little CLP and then a light oiling. Take care of your firearms and they will take care of you.

12. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

I mainly use federal ammo. It seems to be pretty clean firing. After the first 300 I think I'll go back to my regular practices. As far as take down.... I can clean the chamber w Qtips and solven pretty well so I think I will do that. Just wanted some other hipoint owners opinion.

13. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I too think the hi point cleaning recomendations are somewhat lax to say the least, but I am following them. I think that maybe we over do it with the cleaning of our guns sometimes. I spent over 2 hrs cleaning my ar after 70 rds at the range the other day but I just put my 995ts back in the safe. Hmmm

14. Tyler-Durden77

Tyler-Durden77 Member

Just to see how long it would go, I did nothing to my 995ts, except running a bore snake through it every 300 to 400 rounds. I didn't even oil it after I got it. I finally had my first failure of any kind on it just north of 4000 rounds. That was the first time I broke it down to clean and oil it. Funny how that just happens to match what mom says. Maybe the people that designed and made the firearm know something about how to care for it.

15. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

I only use corrosive ammo in my mosin nagant (440rnds for $100 how could you not?) but I usually treat all my fire arms as if I have used corrosive loads. It is like a ritual for me. My dad, my uncle and I would come home from the range eat dinner then clean our guns. One whiff of solvent takes me right back to 1989! My dad is wheelchair bound and has been since I was 2 so marksmanship and fishing were reAly the only hobbies we can do together.

16. talon

talon the banned wagon

....and theres the winning answer. Its not a military rifle, its not a precision competition rifle. Its a workhorse. Modern day equivilant of an AK47. It works, well. It doesnt need to be pampered to do its job. Its a dirty whore. Slap it around, treat it bad, call it names and do it dirty, and itll put out anytime. You can't do that with an AR15 or a hi power longe range gun, thats not what a HP is, it doesn't need it.

17. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Thank you talon! Kinda what I was looking to hear. I figure if that's what the manual says to do that's prolly what I should do. I will probly brush the bore and clean the chamber though. I usually take 3 or 4 fire arms to the club with me and I'll be cleaning them so while my cleaning gear is out why not. I'll go the 2000 rnds before take down though.

18. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

19. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Okay, I have to confess... I couldn't stand it, my OCD kicked in and I broke down and cleaned my 995TS after I went to the range the other day. I'm so ashamed. It was not too bad and everything was in good working order. I had only put about 500 rounds thru it. Is that bad? do I need help? I said I wasn't going to, and I did it anyway. Oh, wait... wrong forum.

20. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

It was bugging me too. So I ran a brush w some solvent down the bore. 3rd patch came out clean. I love federal ammo for this! Took it to the gun club yesterday only to find out the range was closed for a shot gun/22 competition. Bummed I was walking back to my truck when I heard a familiar voice yell "hey Kev ya can use my scatter gun!" One of my coworkers is a member. Won my first round of turkey shoot! Didn't place in the other three lol. Prize was a pound of smoked bacon. Shot guns bacon then a few beers w friends at the clubhouse afterward. Good Sunday for me! Still itchin to shoot my jcp. Maybe Wednesday or Thursday I'll have time:)