Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strong urge to go on Gunbroker and buy an old Break-top .32 short like an Iver Johnson, S&W, H&R, etc. I'm not stupid enough to run modern loads through one. But let's say I wanted to work up some Black Powder substitute loads to keep the pressures low. Any sources and advice would help. Of course, I'd get it checked by a gunsmith first. But I've always been fascinated by the design. And on this working man's budget, the Schofield clones are too pricey ($1,000 and over for a break-top).

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
From the Lyman 44th.

32 smith and wesson.png

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: 7000al and Merle

·
Premium Member
9,338 Posts
I keep looking at a NAA Mini top break. I wish the store would hurry up and sell it before I put a down payment on it! Might be smaller than you want but it's modern and safe to shoot with modern ammunition. And while I am not real big on 22 lr for social work, I do think 22 magnum is viable.
https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-22mbctii250/

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Unless you're dead set on a cartridge you can reload you might consider a H&R Model 999. It's a 22LR but you can pick one up for around $350 if you're lucky.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I've got an Iver Johnson Viking 32 S&W break top. My dad gave it to me. He told me he had it before he went to Vietnam in 68. I've had it for longer than 20 years and have only shot 15 rounds in it. I know because I bought a box of 20 and there are 5 still in the gun.
I've still got a box of 32 H&R Magnums I bought by mistake. I bet it hasn't been fired 50 rounds total.

20191024_232352.jpg

20191024_232420.jpg

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
I know the road to hell is paved with good intentions but I.......almost bought a 1941 marked Enfield revolver to match my rifle.
Couple years ago, haven't seen one since.
Morale of the story....

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Unless you're dead set on a cartridge you can reload you might consider a H&R Model 999. It's a 22LR but you can pick one up for around $350 if you're lucky.
I'd say if you're VERY lucky. The ones I've found have been used and abused to the point they're not worth buying... and the shops STILL want three bills for them.

Reactions: Merle

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
I know the road to hell is paved with good intentions but I.......almost bought a 1941 marked Enfield revolver to match my rifle.
Couple years ago, haven't seen one since.
Morale of the story....
The single/double or the bobbed-hammer double-only?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Armynurse

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
The single/double or the bobbed-hammer double-only?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Don't recall.....
They had both, one marked 1941 and the other one hardly had any markings and seemed to have been refinished.

Reactions: Armynurse

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'd say if you're VERY lucky. The ones I've found have been used and abused to the point they're not worth buying... and the shops STILL want three bills for them.
Last year I walked into my LGS and while shooting the breeze I glanced down at the case and stopped mid sentence. There was an H&R 999 tucked in the back of the case, it had been traded in the day before. He had wiped it down and stuck it in the case. Didn't even have a price tag on it yet. Checked it out, by my estimation it was about 90%, a little worn but in pretty good condition overall. Said he was going to ask $400 for it, SOLD!

Might have been able to do better online but I figure better $400 for one I'd seen than trust pictures online.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Asking $400 heh ?
How about tree-fiddy ya greedy bastard?!
(Read in Sean Connery’s voice )

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
I have a strong urge to go on Gunbroker and buy an old Break-top .32 short like an Iver Johnson, S&W, H&R, etc. I'm not stupid enough to run modern loads through one. But let's say I wanted to work up some Black Powder substitute loads to keep the pressures low. Any sources and advice would help. Of course, I'd get it checked by a gunsmith first. But I've always been fascinated by the design. And on this working man's budget, the Schofield clones are too pricey ($1,000 and over for a break-top).
Some of them were built to handle smokeless powder, but I would still err on the light side. I have been shooting 1 gn of Bullseye in my US Revolver with good results. As I recall the Iver Johnson Owl faces a different direction depending on whether it is black or smokeless.

·
Premium Member
9,338 Posts
The Enfield No2 Mk1 was designed for 38/200. I haven't found an affordable retailer for that round.
Do you reload? Starline makes brass for the 38 S&W. Matt's Bullets sells the proper MK I 200 grain .361 bullets.

I punched some numbers into my reloading calculator and came up with .41 cents per round using all new components. Less than $21 per 50, not too shabby to put that old warhorse back in commission again!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good point. I have the h&r 9 shot that you have to remove the cylinder pin to reload. The 923 I think it is called. Fun shooter, and I carry it for snakes if I hunt East of Kinston NC. The Gulf Stream keeps Carteret county and Croatan forest warm all year. I have seen cottonmouths thanksgiving day there. In Pitt county it gets cold enough that the snakes do hibernate, so I leave the 22 at home. But I digress. The H&Rs are great guns.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts