Question about Kel-Tec PF-9

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Scottbapt, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Scottbapt

Scottbapt Guest

I am looking to buy a Kel-tec PF-9. I am not sure weather to get a parkerized or blued. What do ya'll recommend and why?

Thanks for the help!

2. I know several people with them and every one swears the parkerized is the only way to go.

3. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Parkerizing is always a better option than bluing. It's more durable and IMHO better looking.

4. I would agree with that. To me the kel-tec bluing on those tings is kinda thin(like on hi-point carbine receiver covers). If I get one I want parker if I can find it.

5. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

My blued P-11 had issues with rust even though I kept it oiled and cleaned. I eventually just Duracoated it and no more issues with rust.

I'd go with the Parkerized one for that reason alone, but that is just me.

Tom

6. Troller98

Troller98 Member

I really like the Hard Chrome myself...

7. Scottbapt

Scottbapt Guest

Hey MalcolmStone tell me about Duracoat. Thanks alot for the input. How does it look?

8. duracoat looks nice and lasts pretty well, but I would recommend a good blue or parkerizing over it unless you're after a pattern or color.

9. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Lots of folks do a parkerizing BEFORE duracoat. The rough finish helps promote adhesion, and is an extra protectant against rust.

10. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

It looks great. Of course, I ended up selling it to fund my next carry gun in .45, but I used Duracoat's Combat Black and it matched the frame really well. Has a nice matte finish to it so it's not really reflective at all.

Tom

11. it dosen't just promote adhesion, it opens up the pores and duracoat literally soaks in like mad. Its a night and day difference in the quality of the duracoat. The flash hider on my sks was parkered.

12. badman400

badman400 Member

SC
    I bought a blued PF-9, then shipped the slide to Jack Fuselier to have it nickel plated which IMO looks better than the KT hard chrome. The price was right at only $25!
    You can find Jack's info on the KTOG forum: http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Here are the before and after pics. 8)

Before: (top right)
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Batjac

Batjac Member

Is Jack the guy who does the melt on the slide?

14. very nicee.

What size hogue grip fits those btw?

15. badman400,
    gun looks outstanding! thanks for sharing.