Question about Load Carrying Equipment

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by planosteve, Jun 15, 2015.

1. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Now that I have the AR (CQZCR) and a small but growing stock of mags for it I need to get something to carry all this stuff around when wandering hill and dale.

I am pretty sure some of you have used the LC-1, chest rigs, and vests. So my question to you is do the chest rigs and vests interfere with carrying a pack. I used the LC-1 equipment while I was in the Navy so I know that I can use a pack with the belt and suspenders without trouble.

I was digging through my junk and found my H-type suspenders, butt pack, and a small first aid pouch, but no belt, mag pouches or canteen carriers. If I stick with the LC-1 gear I was thinking of 2 1 qt canteens with a cup, 2 mag pouches, a holster for a pistol and mag pouch for pistol.

Are there other options out there other than the LC-1 equipment that are reasonably priced that will allow the same stuff to be lugged around along with a small Get Home Backpack?

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida

3. tincup

tincup Member

You really roam hill and dale in that rig?

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Mine fits me fine.... And I'm 5'11", 240lb

5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Used to roam everywhere through everything in 782 (Deuce) gear.

6. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Yup, kept it when I got out but pieces and parts have been misplaced.

7. Rachgier

To answer your original question Steve; yes, the LC-1 (782) ALICE gear will allow you to operate with a pack. You MAY run in to issues with the harness digging in if you use a newer style internally framed pack, but a soft-side pack or hard frame ALICE pack won't be an issue. You can pick up what you're missing dirt cheap though. Most surplus stores still have it and you know ebay and Amazon will as well.

I have the large ILBE ruck in MARPAT with the detachable assault pack with water bladder. Very comfortable system for a pack. The main ruck has an integrated frame and the assault pack is a soft side with hard plastic insert to protect the water bladder from whatever you shove in to it. Personally I haven't tried it with an LBV but it is compatible with the MOLLE gear.

8. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

ALICE don't dig near as bad as humpin a prick77! Used to feel sorry for them dumb [email protected]@rds. :)

9. Rachgier

Even worse when the prickE8 is humping you....

10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

LBE works fine. Molle vest is better though with a web belt. And some have hydration packs.

11. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

You youngsters are spoiled.... :)

12. Rerun

Rerun Member

Alright.

I am a noob when it comes to using military backpacks and harnesses.

What, In Ya'lls Humble Opinion, is the Best harness and backpack combination for long term usage looking at a 40 pound load inside the backpack and a rifle, handgun (shoulder holster), 1 quart canteen, camelback, and whatever other gear one can safely carry?

I have been using a store bought backpack with an internal frame for several decades now and am looking to upgrade every thing.

eldar

13. Rachgier

Yeah no sh*t. Even if I still qualify as a youngster, I was a Marine, so we didn't get all the new fancy gear.

14. Rachgier

On the cheap? An old set of Deuce gear and medium Alice pack, framed or not, will do you just fine as long as it's in good repair or easily repaired. Some of the newer LBV systems are actually designed to integrate with a pack so you don't have an additional set of straps to deal with but still giving you the advantage of having a QD on the shoulders to drop the pack in a hurry.

15. Bull

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1434412875.373701.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1434413063.984670.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1434413136.914755.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1434413198.219928.jpg
    I've got about 40$ altogether in the Molle vest, with 2 AR dual mag pouches, and a holster..... The camelbak pack was my Christmas present from the boy.... They seem to ride well together, and pretty comfortable..... The boy suggested the D-ring on the backpack strap for the AR carry, and I like it.

16. Rachgier

Now my only problem with that set up, and take this with a grain of salt because it's a bit :foilhat:-ish but...

When you find yourself in a sh*t and get situation where your pack becomes a liability, you're going to find yourself hampered by the D-ring on the pack strap. One of the things I used to drill in to the heads of my Marines was, if you think you might need it to kill someone, don't put it on or in your pack.

17. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Ya Marines got all the old crap

18. Bull

Makes sense....

19. Rachgier

Looks like you've got a purchase point on the vest to hook the d-ring to, but while I'm sitting here looking at it again, how short is the lead from the ring to the rifle? Will you be able to bring it up on your weak side with your current setup if you happen to lose function on your strong side?

I know, what-if's are a dime a dozen, but occasionally they come in handy.

20. colthrash

colthrash Member

its called a jeep...