Question about loaded Magazines

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Grizzfan, Dec 9, 2007.

1. I got my Up Lula a couple weeks ago and tried it out today. I have a long way to go to get the 1 round per second rate, but it's deceptively easy to work. Great product.

Now, how long should one keep a magazine uploaded? I don't shoot too often, but when I do I'd want to have several loaded mags on hand ready to go. Will keeping them loaded for, lets's say, a year damage the magazine spring? What's your experience on this?

Thanks

2. pistolerowe

pistolerowe Guest

on all my mags i rotate every month or so.It dosnt take long to do it.I keep 3 loaded for each gun.imo a year is way too long.

3. I have a Davis P380 that I bought back in 97/98 and have about 400rds thru it since the day I purchased it. The mag was kept loaded for at least 5 years once and it still performs flawlessly.

My understanding of mag springs is they wear out by excessive use and over extension/compression. Most modern mag springs use quality spring steel and should not take a set when loaded to mag capacity or slightly under capacity.

I know none of my mag feed handguns sit long enough between range visits to worry about them taking a set. I will probably wear them out due to usage long before the mags take a set and give me problems.

4. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Leaving mags loaded or unloaded does nothing ot the springs. Constantly loading and unloaduing will wear the springs out eventually. FWIW in 2003 i found a .45 mag that had been behind the shooting bench since the early 80s when my dad reloaded and it banged off just fine. Dont worry about it.

SW

5. Ari

Ari Guest

6. Thanks guys (and gals). As always you are lots of help.

Back to the Up LuLa. BTW, if you don't have one of these things, it would make a great (hint, hint) stocking stuffer.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!