Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's involved in getting a concealed carry permit?
I know I have to take a safety course and then they said we have to go to some range the following day for the rest.
What do they do at the range?
Do I have to be accurate?
The wife was wanting to take the class and the test and try to get hers too, but she's worried because she's not a very good shot.

G

·
It varies from state to state. I am in Oklahoma. I don't think accuracy is a factor here. I believe you take the safety course, submit all you paperwork to the OSBI, then you are done. I am planning on doing this ASAP as well. You should be able to Google search the requirements in your state.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
In Missouri it was an 8 hour course. This includes range time and class time. Range time consisted of 20 shots with a revolver and 20 shots with a semi-auto from 21 feet. As long as all the rounds were within the black of a silhouette target you passed. I believe the instructor said that no one would fail, just some might take a little more work to pass the shooting. Everyone in my class passed with no problems.

G

·
This class in Oklahoma is an 8 hour course as well. 6 hours classroom and 2 hours on the range. I don't believe that you have to shoot a revolver and semi both. I think it is just one of the two.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
In TN, you have to take an 8 hour class, 6 hours classroom and 2 hours range time. There is a test after the class but it is designed to be a no-fail test (I missed one question and the instructor razzed me about it). The range time is 2 hours because not everyone shoots at the same time. Here, you have to be at least fairly accurate. We shot 50 rounds total, 18 at 3 yards, 18 at 7 yards, and 14 rounds at 15 yards (IIRC). 38 of those 50 rounds must land somewhere within a standard silhouette target in order to pass. I passed with a 50/50. The hardest distance, for me, was the 15 yards.

After you get your certificate, you go to the DMV, pay them $150. They take your picture, print the card, then submit it to the Dept. of Safety along with your paperwork and money. They also give you the info needed to set up an appointment to get fingerprinted, which was only a two hour difference between set up time and appointment. The paperwork said you had to wait 24 hours, which I read after I was done with the appointment. The anly thing left to do was wait 3-6 months for it. They only had 8 days to deny it, but 6 months to approve it. IIRC, it only took 2 months, 1 week, and 3 days (give or take a day or two).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just sent my wife through the class here in sunny FL.

It was $50 and 2 hrs.

There was supposed to be some range time involved but the instructor let her slide.

She has had quite a bit of time lead slingin!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm in Arizona and the class was 8 hours with range time. We shot at a silhouette target and had to put 10 rounds inside the red border. We shot at 5 and 10 yards, 5 rounds at each distance. They did the fingerprints but I have to send in the paperwork with $60.00. The class was $40.00 but I did the December special for $30.00. It was a very informative too.

My target had 11 holes in it though, someone else hit my target. It was a flyer and no where near the silhouette!

·
Si vis pacem para bellum
548 Posts
In Iowa its a 8 hour class with range time. Pay attention in class and take the test. You would have to be mostly blind not to pass the range test. You shoot at 3-7-10 yards I believe 10 shots at each distance. Take the test results to the sheriffs office and wait a few days you'll recieve your CCW. You do have to have a paper from the Sheriffs office to take the CCW course.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
In Texas this is what I found on the web. It's a 10 hour class and shooting 50 rounds. Scoring is 8, 9 and 10 rings = 5 points. 7 ring = 4 points. On target, outside rings = 3 points. The 5 point area on the target is 12" across, talk about a piece of cake I could nail that with a rock :D

175 points is passing, you can rack up 150 points even if you missed your mark as long as you hit paper getting those 3 pointers. Don't know why they have a 15 yard test cause if you nail the 3 & 7 yard your a winner.

I'm going to hit the range today and shoot at those 3 targets at those ranges & rounds and see how the C9 stacks up. Might just get my CHL this summer.

3 yards, 20 rounds
1 shot, 2 seconds, 5 times
2 shots, 3 seconds, 5 times
5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time

7 yards, 20 rounds
5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time
2 shots, 4 seconds, 1 time
3 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
1 shot, 3 seconds, 5 times
5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time

15 yards, 10 rounds
2 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
3 shots, 9 seconds, 1 time
5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Just got back and at 3 yards I got 100 points out of 100, 7 yard was the same 100 points and the 15 yard I got 44 points out of 50.

I got a grand total of 244 points out of a possible 250 for a 97% rate.

I guess that's not to bad for a C9.

·
Registered
315 Posts
In NH I didn't have to take a class to get my permit. Just filled out the application and paid the $10. for 4 years. BUT, later on I went too go on and take 3 courses. They were weekend courses, one day class the other range. Basics......identifying parts of the weapon, gear, ammo, test (pass OR not). Range, pretty much what others had mentioned in the previous post's. YOU DO NOT have to be the greatest shot. YOU will be instructed, taught what there is to know about handling, stance, positions (did I already go over this with someone else already?????). Don't forget, down the line YOU are going to have to know about the Laws which pertain to each state You go through IF you plan on carrying concealed.
I'm 2.5 years into having a gun and I'm still learning how to shoot, testing which ammo is best for my purposes and Laws. You don't have to know ALL the Laws, but You need to know a little about them. Time will make You and the Wife killing machines.....j/k. Good luck, and don't forget.........practice and don't rush for now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What's involved in getting a concealed carry permit?
I know I have to take a safety course and then they said we have to go to some range the following day for the rest.
What do they do at the range?
Do I have to be accurate?
The wife was wanting to take the class and the test and try to get hers too, but she's worried because she's not a very good shot.
well i am from ohio and price is 75 to 150 but 10 hrs of class time and that sucks lol and 2 hrs at range and it is ez we had to shot 8 rounds at 5 12 and 21 yards and it is ez no worrys there i was scared but could of done it with out looking and i was not that good of a shot at the time and some in class have never shot a hand gun and thay passed so not sure where you are from ? but you will be fine

·
Registered
25 Posts
What state are you in? Look up the state laws on it.

In Washington, as long as you can own guns, they have to provide you with one within one month of applying. (except me, it took a two month legal battle against the local PD, which I won, and promptly bought a HP C9.)

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What state are you in? Look up the state laws on it.

In Washington, as long as you can own guns, they have to provide you with one within one month of applying. (except me, it took a two month legal battle against the local PD, which I won, and promptly bought a HP C9.)
I live in the panhandle of Nebraska. (Hence the name Cornhusker)
I tried to find it online, but all I found was about the test, and the legal and vison reqirements.
Nothing about range day.
I'm not too worried for me, but the little woman is nervous about it.
Does it matter what gun you take to shoot as long as it's a handgun?
I'm a lot better shot with guns I wouldn't particularly care to try to hide on my person.

G

·
The place I am looking at taking my course says nothing bigger than a 45. They recomend the 45 as well. I am in Oklahoma though. It would probably depend on where you take the course. Here in Oklahoma, there are independant people that give the course. They have to be certified by the state. They give you a certificate saying you passed, then you go through the process with the state.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Here in the good old South Carolina I took an 8 hour course, shoot 50 rounds at a target, and pass a written test, then pay $50 for the permit get my fingerprints done [my boss did mine :D], and send in a copy of drivers Lic. and phote with all the paperwork. Normal time is 90 days BUT as I amn already a licensed armed security guard mine was a bit faster as S L E D [So. Carolina Law Enforcement Div.] had all my info on file [YA I know..........I'M SPEEECIAL :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
AR is a shall issue state.
an almost 8 hour course. $$ ranges from 95-125 for the class and another 140 for prints/etc with state police. No written test.
at the range: from 10 feet: 5 shots each: from hip (arm relaxed at elbow, no aiming) with strong hand, strong hand, weak hand, 15 shots total
then 5 shots with any grip style at 20 feet.
you have to put the rounds in a man-sized sil. target. Qualify with a revolver and you can only carry a revolver. Semiauto qual lets you carry what you want

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't know about the other post from the Buckeye, my course was a 12 hour one, with classroom time on a Saturday from 9am till 5pm, and 4 hours on the range on Sunday. The shooting portion was at bullseye targets like a foot in diameter, and to pass you had to get 40 of 50 shots in the rings from at most 15'. We had all of one person out of 14 fail to qualify in the first round of shooting, most of us shot a second round for practice, I used a different pistol in the 2nd round, as our instructor feels you should try to have any gun you may carry listed as ones you have qualified with.

The classroom course was basically an altered NRA Basic Pistol Course, with added emphasis on Ohio CCW laws. The test was an open-book test, if you got any questions wrong, you obviously were suffering from reading and comprehension issues.

One note, any state that doesn't require a approved course for a CCW isn't listed as a state Ohio will honor their CCW. Indiana doesn't require a course, so CCW holders from there can't carry legally in Ohio, Ohio CCW holders can carry legally in Indiana.

It's not a difficult course, even for brand new shooters, every instructor I know will make an extra effort with new shooters to help them along. Tell you wife not to worry, just get out there and have fun!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.