Question about the soldier's cross

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Apr 4, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Ok, I really want to put a soldier's cross decal on my Blazer. My intent is just to serve as a memorial of sorts, something to honor all of those who have given their lives in service of our county. I think it is a beautliful, fitting symbol.

But i have never served, nor have I ever lost a friend/family memeber/loved one who had served.

I completely understand protocol, honor, code etc...as much as possible without having served.

So my question is would it be "okay" for me to use it, as intended, or would it be disrespectful?

I mean, are they meant to be specific to one specific soldier? Are the meant as something for a current or former service member or their family to honor someone they lost?

Thoughts, comments please. I only want to be respectful to those who gave all for my (our) freedoms.

Attached Files:

2. colthrash

colthrash Member

as with most things military, it started out as a "field expedient" way to mark a grave, it goes back to the civil war. during ww2, with mechanized infantry and such, soldiers were hastily buried in shallow graves and marked with the rifle, helmet and id tags. grave registration units would follow behind and move the remains for proper burial. it has evolved from there into an un-official ceremony for individuals to pay their respects to fallen comrades.

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I for one would not be offended for your display of respect .

4. My opinion:
    I am not military first off, However I am a 27 year veteran LEO, that being said..
    I see nothing disrespectful implied or other wise with you displaying of the soldiers cross. Most people may assume you are or were military. And who cares what they think.
    How about the statement underneath simply saying:

For those who gave all
    Thank you.

Simple, clear, and I'm thinking exactly how you feel.

5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I wear mine every day...

[​IMG]

6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    There's nothing disrespectful about it. Anyone who's ever been to a memorial ceremony will understand what it means and that it is a symbol of respect for those who have fallen in service to their country.

Displaying it is a sign of respect.

7. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

I always liked the saying "All gave some. Some gave all."

8. tallbump

Thanks guys. I'm wise enough to understand that sometimes good intentions don't always play out well.

While I am not chief ft the PC police, there is a line between worrying about offending everyone and actually doing something is disrespectful.

Just wanted to make sure this wasn't one of those

9. Rachgier

There will always be someone who gets their undies bunched no matter what your original intentions were.

10. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    It has become a symbol of courage and respect. tallbump, I don't see a problem with putting it on your vehicle. There isn't much a person can do in this Country that does not piss off someone.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You are more likely to piss off some left winger with that wanton display of an EBR.

PLEASE do it.:D

12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Put it on your Blazer with pride.

13. tallbump

Will do, as soon as I get to a place that has one, I'll grab it.

I have tinted windows so I need a white or etched looked one.

14. Rachgier

Red shows up well on tinted glass as well. I've got FD logos on the rear side windows of the burban.

15. tallbump

Red would be cool, thanks for the tip

16. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

hmm I have some self stick white polyester sheet that engraves to a black color... might make that for the tailgate of my truck. Lost an uncle in Korea, have multiple family members currently serving...

17. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

18. Branth

Branth Member

Hell, I had a guy get on my case because my school bag is milsurp. Apparently I didn't "earn the right" to shop at military surplus stores for cheap, durable backpacks.

Guy acted like I was walking around in BDU's or something.

19. tallbump

And that's what I am tyring to avoid.

I mean, in that case, that's way overboard.

But I also understand that there is a...protocol, respect, whatever issue that should be considered.

20. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Some of the people who behave in such a sanctimonious manner are the ones whose single term of service is all that has defined them up to that point. I get the feeling that some of them don't feel like they are getting enough attention, and they find ways to draw it in order to feel superior.

Check out the Onion-esque military-oriented satire news site "The Duffel Blog," and you will find some fake articles about veterans who don't get thanked for their service enough. I am pretty sure that many of the articles written on there are posted by active-duty careerists, in fact, because I remember reading one of the articles featuring someone (in a good way) serving on a high-echelon staff, and some of the names that they used were those of people I knew there.

Seriously, the vast majority of us serving, or who have served, take pride in it, but we aren't looking for people to attack for being posers. We also don't much care for people trying to make the rest of us look bad by behaving in the way that the guy you encountered did.