Question for Taurus 24/7 PRO owners

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Glennfrank, Feb 27, 2008.

Can you manually eject unfired FMJ rounds by racking the slide?

This poll will close on Feb 7, 2106 at 1:28 AM.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Well, that says is all.
    I've been having issues the past couple weeks and am trying to get a definitive answer on this. I've mentioned it in a few other posts & even asked on the Taurus Armed forums.
    Some people say they can manually rack the slide to eject an unfired chambered round, others say they can't.
    Some say the reason I can't is a Taurus design flaw & others say that there is something wrong with my gun.
    Thing is.. I can say I USED to be able to do it & suddenly I can't.

Just trying to get all my info straight before I call Taurus/take it to a gunsmith.

Thanks.

2. just call Taurus. They were friendly as can be when I had to cal before. Sometimes the best place to get an answer is from the horses mouth. If you don't want to call, just go buy me one online, I'll send you my ffl information, and I'll tell you what my new gun does, deal? ;-)

3. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Haha, Deal - if I hit the Powerball tonight. ;)
    I'm posting this poll at Taurusarmed as well. I just want to know what I am talking about when I call Taurus :)

4. I don't get it? Full mag, rack the slide to chambered a round, no pull of the trigger, slide racked again, unfired round ejected and new one fed, type of thing? (yeah that sentenced sucked :? ) I would assume yes, I can on all of my guns (no Taurus though). Check the extractor, when I first got my HP40 the extractor was set a little to out and since it works in conjunction with the firing pin to extract spent casing it would just barely miss the lip of the casing and cause a jam, not all the time but enough that I called up HP and they sent me a whole new slide assembly which obviously solved the problem. Not sure about Taurus' customer service, but if its anywhere near HP's I would first call them and inquire at the source. Good Luck!!!

5. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    I called Taurus this morning, spoke with someone who must've been new since I could tell she had no idea what I was talking about. She told me that I could send it in & they would look at it. I said I'd call back - going to try and get the gunshop I bought it from to take a look at it & if they can't do anything send it in for me.

6. Wow, that's crappy. I've never had anything but absolutly positive experiences with Taurus.

7. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    I'm gonna call again in a couple hours - maybe I will get someone else.

8. I certainly hope so. I'm obviously a Taurus fan, and would hate to see you get a bad image of Taurus.

9. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Figured why wait a couple hours & called after my last post.
    Spoke with Robert, who was obviously more experienced than the last girl.
    He suggested that perhaps we replace the guide rod/spring before sending it in. He's not sure if it will work, but suggested it might be easier for all in the long run.
    Unfortunately, they are doing end of month inventory atm & not shipping anything until the 3rd.
    Worth a shot though.

You're a Taurus fan? Never would have guessed! ;)

10. Ever since my first wheelgun, a Taurus Tracker in .357mag, a gift from the father in law a few years ago. Absolutly love that gun and actually need to call them up myself to see about a little tune up job on it. Got that number handy?

11. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Yep, here you go:
    305-624-1115

12. Talked to a nice lady. Told here there was too much play in the cylinder and she said send it on in and they'll tune it up for me. Love that company.

13. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Hey Taurus357, what kind of turnaround do you usually get?
    I've heard (from a few places) it can sometimes take them over a month?

14. Never had to send anything off, just had to call a few times for advice and general questions from them. Most firearm turnaround do take 3-6 weeks if your lucky. And I consider that good. You have to remember it has to shop there, go through recieving, checked in, looked at, assigned to a smith of the proper level, wait in line to be serviced, get serviced if parts are immediately available, get test fired to ensure your problem is resolved, get packed up/go to shipping department, processed out, and make it's way back to us. It's a long process that a few weeks of wait is worth it. Honestly I'm suprised alot of companies manage to keep to a decent time, but many companies can take months and months to get your firearm back. We tend to think of it as a 3 step process of we mail it, the fix it, they mail it back, but there is so much more and many people involved to ensure things get done and done right.

15. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    You make a good point there Taurus. I suppose waiting a month or so and getting a back a firearm in tip-top shape is better than struggling with it myself and never getting it properly fixed.

Well, if the guide rod & spring doesn't do the job I guess I will find out first hand.

PS: this hasn't turned me off taurus at all & I am sure the fact that I have a longslide is contributing to my problems as well since they make no where near as much of them as the standard model. I will, in the future however, try to only buy new guns - and if I can't I will make sure I torture test the heck out of the used ones the first week I get them.

16. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    I went back to my favorite gunshop & spoke with the gunsmith there (the one I trust).
    He told me that the same thing happened with one of his 1911s.
    He doubted that the guiderod/spring was the issue & suggested that he just grind down the extractor pin a tiny bit (like a centimeter or 2) to accommodate the longer 9mm rounds.
    Weighing the pros and cons he said it could slightly affect the fired casing trajectory but didn't think it would be dramatic (like they wouldn't be flying into my face or anything).
    I told him I'd think about it & if the guiderod/spring didn't work I'd probably take his advice & shorten the pin before going through the trouble of sending it off to Taurus.