Question for you gunsmiths

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bluharley, Aug 29, 2014.

1. bluharley

bluharley Member

I need a sear for my Cobra .32. If I go to a local gunsmith, will he have a sear that will work, or will he just order it from Cobra? I can order it, $17 + almost $10 shipping. I just think that's ridiculous. If a gunsmith can fix me up for the same or less instantly, I won't bother ordering one.

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Doesn't Cobra have a lifetime warranty?
    I've take one of my HP's to a gunsmith with an envelpoe full of parts, he needed one part I didn't have. He called HP & they sent it to him for FREE. He charged me for labor only!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014

3. bluharley

bluharley Member

Yea, they have a warranty. I just figure by the time I pay shipping and FFL fees, I won't be any further ahead, and add another week. I figured he would probably order the part and charge me for labor. I don't need help installing it, I just need the sear.

4. MachoMelvin

HP will just send you a sear if you call and ask for it? Free shipping NO Questions asked! I'm sure MoM will send you 2 if you ask.

5. I remember someone on this site needing a sear for hi HP and MoM turned him down flat cold. Seams that is one part that they need to inspect. Maybe someone with a better memory than mine will enlighten us on who it was.

6. bluharley

bluharley Member

This is a Cobra. I've talked to them.....$17 + $9.?? shipping. I'll never buy another Cobra.

7. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Tell them to ship it priority mail $6 then. Shipping rates are up all over so $9 is not out of line. They have to pay for packing materials and an employee to handle it.

8. MachoMelvin

I bought a Cobra once. I took it home and set down beside my C9, and decided I didn't need another overweight cheap handgun, so I took it back to my LGS. He took it back and gave me an in store credit. Of which, I quickly used up a few days later!

9. bluharley

bluharley Member

Shipping is standard rate, they said, $9 and something.

The cobra was my first gun buy in 20 years, just wanted something due to some crackheads next door that were binging 5-6 days at a time. I've shot it and modified it, so it's mine. Then I got thinking, this guy next door is a big guy, needed something bigger. Then I discovered CTD with a $140 Hi-Point .40. Now I've got two heavy guns! That's ok, they're cheap, didn't break the bank. Now I'm looking for a carry piece, and it's going to be 15oz or less. Then I need a 9mm, and then I need a carbine, and then.... Oh, and the guy next door, he's dead, overdose....thank you.

10. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Darwin at work again.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

There are reasonable options in most price ranges. As price goes up, often so does either quality, options, or both.

Do you have something in mind for carry?

Peace favor your sweet (mobile)

12. bluharley

bluharley Member

I'm thinking a Kel-Tec PF-9 with a belt clip. Or something similar. I like the Kahr CM series, 9 or .40, but a little pricey for my budget. I hear .380 ammo is still hard to get as far as range ammo, not that it's going to be a range gun anyway.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The PF-9 is a good gun. The trigger is a little better than the P11. It can be picky about 147gr ammo so stick with 115gr SD ammo. It has a pretty stiff recoil so keep a firm grip or risk "limp wrist" feed malfunctions. But it carries nice (I had mine in a tuckable all day yesterday with good comfort). If it I in your budget, get the hard chrome slide or consider a coating job of your preferred type (DIY duacoat and cerakote are popular). The bluing can be a bit thin on KT handguns.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

14. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Local WalMarts have had 380 on hand for months. I have bought a couple hundred rounds for my PK380. Good medium price carry gun